Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

2014 Taco

Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Taco Fan has a spectacular aura aboutTaco Fan has a spectacular aura about
Name: Bean
Taco Fan's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Taco

Love my 2014 Taco. Replaced my 2011 Taco, which I also loved. Best vehicles on the road, IMO...especially for the money. One minor complaint...the weather app. I didn't get the "nav" package. This is just the weather app that comes with the stock stereo on the TRD Sport package. (which I think is an upgraded JBL stereo?)

Anyway, it pulls data from miles away. It is probably pretty accurate. But I preferred the gauge being in the rear-view mirror...just easier. I guess there are folks who like the appearance of fancy electronics. Not me...I like things simple. This was an "upgrade" that wasn't necessary. Toyota had it right already.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Tuck91 is on a distinguished road

Tuck91's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Do you have any pics?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Not yet...but coming soon.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
tacoIcecream is on a distinguished road

tacoIcecream's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fan View Post
Anyway, it pulls data from miles away. It is probably pretty accurate. But I preferred the gauge being in the rear-view mirror...just easier. I guess there are folks who like the appearance of fancy electronics. Not me...I like things simple. This was an "upgrade" that wasn't necessary. Toyota had it right already.
Yeah, the weather app gets the weather from a few towns over, lol.
Another annoyance is the traffic app. I can't scroll left to right. So if I have to go east to west, I cant see what the traffic is like. I have an iphone for all that stuff, so no biggie...just bad design.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Thoughts at almost 10K miles...

Weather app sucks. I wish I had an on-board thermometer in the rear-view.

Mileage - I get 16.5/gallon...very little hwy. mostly daily commuter. I have BFG KO. I think old TACO did slightly better. I wish the V6 got better mileage. Minor complaint, but I think it should. Also should have a bed light. I wish it were a little quieter.. I know it's a truck and I expect it to be a little louder than a car. But seems like I have to talk really loud when making calls over the blue tooth.

Other than that, I love it. Zero buyer's remorse. I'd buy it again without hesitation. I might look at a Forerunner for a second...because those are awesome too. But trucks are better than SUV's.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
I definatly liked the temp in the mirror better than the app, and the traffic app is a joke. Since I'm bitching about the radio I hate it when the hd radio goes in and out, the change in volume/tone is frustrating. And since I live in the suburbs it will blink in and out a half dozen times during my commute

That being said I am so glad to be rid of the yellow daytime running lights. The drls on my 12 were pretty bright and I thought they made the truck look silly.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
coastemac is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Gunner's Mate First Class (E-6) Weapons Instructor/Armorer
Name: Mac
coastemac's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my '14 a week ago today. I've gotta agree with almost every point you've made. At least your weather and traffic work... mine worked at the dealership, but just going around town here it doesn't pick anything up at all. I really miss the thermometer in my last truck, Dodge Ram. Just finishing up my first full tank, so not sure on mpg's as of yet. As for it being loud, mines pretty damn quiet. Definitely don't have to yell while using the bluetooth thru the stereo. Perhaps its your tires??? I'd like a bed light too... hadn't noticed until you mentioned it to be honest. Other than the few things I've mentioned... I'm with ya, no remorse here either, although I'm not even close to being at 10k miles yet.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
rickoshay45 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avionics Tech
Name: Rick
rickoshay45's Tacoma Gallery
HD weather

The weather and traffic apps work off of HD radio. Not all radio stations broadcast in HD. HD gives them basically two "extra" channels on the same frequency like SSB does for CB but done digitally. Those that do broadcast HD don't always use it for weather and traffic. So the radio finds the strongest signal it can and displays that information.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoshay45 View Post
The weather and traffic apps work off of HD radio. Not all radio stations broadcast in HD. HD gives them basically two "extra" channels on the same frequency like SSB does for CB but done digitally. Those that do broadcast HD don't always use it for weather and traffic. So the radio finds the strongest signal it can and displays that information.

Probably pretty good, and more accurate in a big city, sometimes my weather is from 40 miles away if I get a signal at all
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
PMDclassics is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PMDclassics's Tacoma Gallery
I need to find an aftermarket temp gauge for mine. Also wish it had a power seat. V8 engine option would be sweet.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
kopa24 is on a distinguished road
kopa24's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up my Tacoma a couple days ago. Are the tube steps worth purchasing? They look pretty cool at least.

Also, anyone notice on the double cabs that when riding with just the driver side window open that you get the pressure thumping sound, like you typically do when one window is open in the back. My 2008 access cab did not do this.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Just Lurking in the Darkness
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopa24 View Post
I picked up my Tacoma a couple days ago. Are the tube steps worth purchasing? They look pretty cool at least.

Also, anyone notice on the double cabs that when riding with just the driver side window open that you get the pressure thumping sound, like you typically do when one window is open in the back. My 2008 access cab did not do this.

A co-worker has a 2012 similar to mine with the factory tube steps. In my opinion, they sit too close to the door sill to really do any good.

I have the Go Rhino 5" Extreme Oval Tube Steps. They hang lower and sit further out than the factory steps. They are made of plastic so they will never rust. There is also a product review for them on this forum.