Notices

MAF Codes & the URD Sensor Calibrator

Old 02-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Dreamn and Sceamn is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Dreamn and Sceamn's Tacoma Gallery
MAF Codes & the URD Sensor Calibrator

Gadget,

I have an '01 Tacoma 3.4L that I happily inherited from my dad, drove her cross country and she started throwing P420 code for bad Catalytics (had never been replaced until that point).
I put on some Walker ceramic cats as well as a FlowMaster catback and a K&N- 57 cold air intake. All the mods really improved the performance and even the mpg, but dang if I'm not throwing more codes than I started with: (MAF leak), I feel like I'm just pulling in a lot more air than the computer was meant to handle stock.
Could I expect a URD MAF Sensor Calibrator to compensate for all the new air flow, fixing those pesky codes and turning off the Chk Engine light ?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
RacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the actual code you are getting for the MAF leak? Sounds like the engine maybe getting unmetered air. The MAF sensor should be able to handle the amount of air coming through a K&N cold air intake, my guess is there is a leak after the MAF sensor somewhere.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

Air Force:
Just went up to Auto Zone today, looks like I'm still just flashing the P0420 code, guy said I was probably running rich. Anyone ever been in a similar position and tried the URD chip out??
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
RacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
P0420 is a catalytic converter inefficiency. More than likely the cat you installed is flowing too much and the PCM is thinking its not working enough. Probably easiest to use an O2 simulator, otherwise you'll need a better working catalytic converter. If the system was running too rich, you would get a P0172 code or whatever code for the bank that's running rich.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #5

Air Force:
Sounds legit, preciate the knowledge Racecar.