Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review: Goodyear MT/R

Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
NorCal Rock Whore
Killer Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller Red Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Whatsurname
Killer Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Review: Goodyear MT/R

I have had my Goodyears on for about 10K miles, and I thought I would share my opinion on them.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
265/75/R16
Load D

On road use: I am pleased with their on road handling. They are not a super load tire, but by no means are they quiet. Tight corning is difficultat a high rate of speed, so you'll need to slow down for curvy roads.
In rain they still handle well, I haven't felt much if any slip in the rain. Ice and snow they still handle well. They clear fresh powder extremely well. They remain solid on ice and packed snow. On daily driving they do seem stiff, rough roads will rattle a bit but I am using Bilstein 5100's.

Off road use. This is where the Mtr's shine! Air this baby's down to 15psi. With a load D the side walls flex very well. They will clear sticky clay and hold firm on hills. In loose rock they will dig if you go to fast. On larger rock the will grab and not let go, even in the rain. Even smooth slippery river rock is no problem for the mtr's. At Holister I was able to climb a super slippery raven full of tree roots with ease, I was also able to park on a muddy down hill with out slipping. I have rubbed these against ragged rocks and tree root with little side wall damage. The side wall lugs are great for climbing out of ruts and the side of rocks.

I would recommend rotating as oftem as 3-4k miles and go front to back on the same side.

As long as the milage hold out on these, I would highly recommend them for a MT tire. And do your shopping on these, the price vary widely with tire outlets. I bought mine at Americas Tire, they match the best price I found.

Here you can see the flex of the side walls and the tires are at 20psi.

Any one else running MTR's want to put there opinions of them.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
never had em on any of my rigs, but a friend did, and was not impressed with the milage.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice post man and good job getting the rotation in there. Most people do not rotate their tires often enough. You can easily reach the tires mileage expectations and then some by simply rotating and checking air pressures. I personally prefer to cross rotate my tires on any of my vehicles and I get 10%-15% mores miles out of my tires than most people. If you are going to cross rotate, move the L/R to the R/F and the R/R to the L/F and push your front tires straight back. This will also help with elleviate some, not all, but most tires from getting choppy. Great post man! I have often wondered how well those particular tires perform.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know. Thanks for the write up.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I ran them on my Dodge diesel after having bfg muds and I was very impressed, I got them rotated at every oil change (7,500) miles and I got 58k miles out of them, granted they were bald at 58k but they definately lasted longer than any other mud tire I ran on that truck. They're just so damn expensive compared to similar tires.