1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review: Goodyear MT/R

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Killer Red Taco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco [OP] NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I have had my Goodyears on for about 10K miles, and I thought I would share my opinion on them.

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
    265/75/R16
    Load D

On road use: I am pleased with their on road handling. They are not a super load tire, but by no means are they quiet. Tight corning is difficultat a high rate of speed, so you'll need to slow down for curvy roads.
    In rain they still handle well, I haven't felt much if any slip in the rain. Ice and snow they still handle well. They clear fresh powder extremely well. They remain solid on ice and packed snow. On daily driving they do seem stiff, rough roads will rattle a bit but I am using Bilstein 5100's.

Off road use. This is where the Mtr's shine! Air this baby's down to 15psi. With a load D the side walls flex very well. They will clear sticky clay and hold firm on hills. In loose rock they will dig if you go to fast. On larger rock the will grab and not let go, even in the rain. Even smooth slippery river rock is no problem for the mtr's. At Holister I was able to climb a super slippery raven full of tree roots with ease, I was also able to park on a muddy down hill with out slipping. I have rubbed these against ragged rocks and tree root with little side wall damage. The side wall lugs are great for climbing out of ruts and the side of rocks.

I would recommend rotating as oftem as 3-4k miles and go front to back on the same side.

As long as the milage hold out on these, I would highly recommend them for a MT tire. And do your shopping on these, the price vary widely with tire outlets. I bought mine at Americas Tire, they match the best price I found.

Here you can see the flex of the side walls and the tires are at 20psi.
    [​IMG]

Any one else running MTR's want to put there opinions of them.

2. Mar 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    never had em on any of my rigs, but a friend did, and was not impressed with the milage.

3. Mar 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Nice post man and good job getting the rotation in there. Most people do not rotate their tires often enough. You can easily reach the tires mileage expectations and then some by simply rotating and checking air pressures. I personally prefer to cross rotate my tires on any of my vehicles and I get 10%-15% mores miles out of my tires than most people. If you are going to cross rotate, move the L/R to the R/F and the R/R to the L/F and push your front tires straight back. This will also help with elleviate some, not all, but most tires from getting choppy. Great post man! I have often wondered how well those particular tires perform.

4. Mar 26, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    NicksRig

NicksRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kenora, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Blacked out Skid plate, block heater, bug deflector, blacked out headlights, tinted fronts, OME 3" lift, Toytec AAL, Revenge-Fab Sliders, K&N Air Filter
    Good to know. Thanks for the write up.

5. Mar 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    I ran them on my Dodge diesel after having bfg muds and I was very impressed, I got them rotated at every oil change (7,500) miles and I got 58k miles out of them, granted they were bald at 58k but they definately lasted longer than any other mud tire I ran on that truck. They're just so damn expensive compared to similar tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top