1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

100xq

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by hitmans.army, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army [OP] Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    So, I had my 100XQ installed on my truck in '11 while I was in Afghanistan. It has always had a leaking problem. Mainly around the back glass seal (or so I thought). It had obvious water lines going down the glass, I even checked it when the canopy was off the truck for a move an could see it wasn't sealing right.
    Jump to last night. First time I have slept in the bed in the rain. To my surprise, I had a gutter draining onto my foot. Turn out that Leer doesn't quality check their stuff for proper fitment. The foam seal for the 3rd brake light was correct on the bottom, but the top was inside the hole for the light. A good 1/8" of space between the top of the gasket and the fiberglass.
    So, all this time, the third brake light has been acting as a gutter and channeling water to the inside. I pulled the glass seal off, and there is mold/dirt/water all in the carpet. Needless to say, I'm not happy.
    While I am probably not going to get them to do anything for me, Monday I am going to the shop that installed it to tell them about the issue so they may be able to catch it early or future buyers.
    To end my review: if you are going to buy, or have already bought a leer cap with third brake light, check it out. Pull the light out, Phillips screw driver is the only tool needed, and look at the seal. If it didn't sit right, you will see a line across the edge, either take it to the dealer or silicon it. I used clear outdoor silicon, on the inside edge then around the outside perimeter. I forced it under the edge, after it was tightened down, with a wet towel. This left it with a clean look, no excess, and well sealed.

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I'll have to check on this.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Products Discussed in

To Top