1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ambiguous' terrible customer service

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Large, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Mar 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    I'm not anyone in this whole debacle but as your friend I have a problem with this. :mad:

2. Mar 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Well said... I must say being the third party in this in another country wasn't fun on my part either. When the lights arrived I was told they were in good condition. Then the day before shipping I'm sent the text that says they are damaged and told that in his opinion he wouldn't waste the money on retroing them.. So that's when I start freaking out.. Did I see them with my eyes in person nope. Going by what someone tells me is damaged and pics sent to me that were hard to see with a chrome background.

At the end if the day I didn't want to spend a shitload of money on lights then a retro when I was being told the lense was damaged and not worth doing a retro. I am crqzy when it comes to any type of damage even if just a scuff.. I had no reason to disagree with Burt since by him sayin that he didn't want to retro he was losing a deal. I do totally agree it's bullshit to tell me 3 weeks later after receiving the lights.

Large - As I said to you man, you are a stand up guy and I have nothing but respect for your actions in this situation. You could have told me to fuck myself since it was 3 weeks later and Burt was certainly not goin to help me out so I was stuck with even if just scuffed lights. You refunded me in full and for that you are a stand up guy.

I will say to all people selling items on here in a business format, not just the guy selling a pair of lights but the guys offering continuous services.. Start treating it like a business you will have issues that you need to back up and if your not willing to get the fuck out if the game and save people the headache.

Again large, stand up guy man I wouldn't hesitate to do direct business with him again.. Although he may not want to with me.

3. Mar 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    mipawlus

mipawlus #332 Veteran Overland, #159 TTC, #69 in your heart

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Poopypants
    Aggieland
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Rust and dents and squeaks
    dude that sucks. it's the evil side of TW.

4. Mar 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    I know, right.
    Lol, well it's all good.
    No it's fine, you are particular about what you like on your truck and there is nothing wrong with that. Hope you got everything worked out bud.
    Eh, it's a risky business.

5. Mar 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    ambiguous

ambiguous Master Retrofitter @RECHELON/AESTHETICS Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt
    Portland, OR to SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD
    To Large - I've apologized to you on numerous occasions for not checking the condition of the lights better. They looked fine at first glance but most definitely not upon closer inspection.

Why did it take me 3 weeks to get a better look? I retrofit using cores I already have and swap internals keeping original lenses and housing only at time of finish sealing. This ensures the lens (which are most important) are not exposed to dirt and outside environment. Does that make it right that I didn't check the lights closer immediately? No. That was wrong on my part yes.

Did I damage the headlights after I received them? No. They were in the same box underneath a desk for 3 weeks until I was ready to complete the retrofit. I had nothing to gain. In fact, I ended up losing time and money ordering my customer brand new headlights from Toyota.

The lights came in a box much smaller than you have pictured BTW which made me immediately question where the second box was. As in, I would never ever ship two sets of headlights like this:

How I received them
    photo16_zps9f184b4f_3c352de26294bb3e332330fd96a0535d7edec35c.jpg

You can see the bulging box and lack of protection. Large's picture of the packed headlights is after he got them back from Fedex claims - they obviously repackaged it in a much larger box which offers lots of protection.

He did not package or send them out himself. He trusted someone else to package these properly and that ultimately is his fault and cause of damage to the lights. If you have a bone to pick, it should be with your packager/shipper. THEY fucked up.

I filed a claim with Fedex per his request and they never contacted me to pick up the lights after they inspected. They ended up sending them to their overflow warehouse in SLC. I should have never bothered as I knew they would not side with the shipper based on how it was packaged.

I offered to pay the return shipping back to him as I felt bad for not checking the lights right when they arrived. That offer still stands. Let me know the charges for the return shipping and I'll take care of it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. Mar 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    ambiguous

ambiguous Master Retrofitter @RECHELON/AESTHETICS Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt
    Portland, OR to SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD
    If you don't want to read all of that:

He did not package or send them out himself. He trusted someone else to package these properly and that ultimately is his fault and cause of damage to the lights. If you have a bone to pick, it should be with your packager/shipper. THEY fucked up.

If anyone wants to check how sensitive your plastic headlights are, be my guest. My buddy recently put his 2014 headlights face down on the bed of his truck and they got plenty of scratches. Soft plastic.

I offered to buy the headlights to use as a core, don't twist my words. I would never use the lenses. I'm done with this thread. If you anyone wants to talk, PM me like an adult. Better yet, call me. You have my number and I'm happy to give it out to anyone wanting to ask questions or that has concerns.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Mar 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    Everyone should ship these lights with SARAN WRAP across the lenses. This will help them from getting scratched.

Even wiping the lens with a BRAND NEW DUST/DIRT FREE microfiber cloth with glass cleaner puts micro-scratches in the lens.

I just shipped my first retrofit to JMast, I saran wrapped the lenses and then wrapped the entire headlight in packing wrap and put them in separate boxes. I also INSURED his lights for $900. I knew I packaged them well, but we never know what the shipper will do. So it cost $8 extra to ship his lights with added insurance, but he got them and everything is good. The last thing I would want a customer to lose is the money for the assembles,projector kit, my installation and the shipping cost over saving a few bucks on insurance and packaging.

8. Mar 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    It honestly shouldnt matter how he shipped them, could he have packaged them better, sure. However if Burt had checked as soon as he got them and saw they were damaged then a report could have been filed and Large would have gotten then $500 and been able to repay the buyer.

9. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    You are right, I did not ship them myself, I trusted someone else to ship them, someone whom ships items all day every day, that's what they do for a living. With that being said, regardless of how I ship/shipped them, why would I pay extra money to insure the contents if you would not check the contents when you get the package? For all you know I sent you a box of rocks that you stored for 3 weeks.

The time of this post was 6:57 PM, you didn't even offer to pay the return shipping for another 20 min (7:17 PM) via text. Take your bad customer service review with a grain of salt, I'm out $70 and I am okay with it, I've said my peace. You messed up, and I said if for a fact that I, (or the person whom I had ship the lights) messed up in any fashion, that I would eat the cost no strings attached, but there was no way to tell since you had them for 3 weeks without even looking at them.

10. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    Are these lights up for sale?

11. Mar 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    I found this interesting. I haven't ordered anything from Burt yet. But when I do it will be for his retrofits.

I give him credit for admitting he should have checked them when they arrived, but they should have been shipped and protected better. Shipping something and not protecting it and trying to blame the other person IMO is ridiculous. Both parties are at fault.

But I don't think anything was done intentionally on both ends. It was just a crap storm and everyone ended up getting crapped on and sometimes that's just how the world works.

Now lets get back to important matters like modding our sweet rides.

12. Mar 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    Yes they are.
    Again, I paid extra for them to be insured and if there was any indisputable evidence of bad packaging I would have admitted fault and gladly ate the cost. This is a customer service review, and IMO his customer service is terrible, and since I made this thread I've got plenty of pm's (from other members) to agree with me. If I was trying to make money on the side and there was a way to avoid anyone from needlessly losing money (IE: FEDEX PACKAGE INSURANCE) I would utilize it every chance I get but thank you for your insight.

13. Mar 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    unclemike

unclemike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4
    I was the owner of a retail pack-ship business for 10 years. Just looking at the picture above, I would say that it's a shit pack job. Small bubble wrap? You use this stuff for for keeping items separated, so they don't scratch each other. These lights should have been wrapped with large bubble wrap, half inch size, and double wrapped. If both are shipped in the same box, the box should have been large enough to have at least 4 inches of packing peanuts between the lights and box packed very tight. A tight pack protects the contents from each other and from other boxes in a particular shipment, Just my 2 cents

14. Mar 7, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Life lessons. You sound like a stand up guy OP but maybe next time not just insuring the package you should make sure the package was received in good condition. When I send insured things I most always make sure the item was looked over when received. Especially since it wasn't actually being received by the buyer. Most buyers would always check, but a person running a side business, eh may not always be done. Sucks either way, but like I said just another lesson learned.

15. Mar 7, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    I understand both parties on this argument.

It does fall down to the shipper (substitute "packer" in this case) to ensure that things arrive safely.

Once they have been packaged adequately, it's the recipients duty to ensure they arrive in the same fashion in which they are sent.

I rebuild vintage motorcycle carburetors for a living and see stuff like this ALMOST every day; it's sad, and largely in part from the customer sending them poorly but in this case, it was YOUR shippers fault.

I will also say that days when I get 4 or 5 sets in the mail, I will not necessarily open all of those boxes ON THE DAY OF ARRIVAL, but I will in due haste. So I have no idea what your retro-fitters backlog looks like but mine is around 10 weeks :eek: So I can understand why it may have taken so long (including the shipping debacle) to get back to you.

If you're still pursuing the case with Fed-Ex, good luck.

And as you are selling your headlights... well... good luck with that, too! :D

Hopefully not too many toes got stepped on through all of your ordeal!

Cheers.

16. Mar 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    I'm not calling Burt a liar, but I've literally watched the person I had ship these lights package other items up on separate occasions and they look nothing like what he is picturing.
    Me telling Burt to file a claim with FedEx was a last ditch effort, but I would assume they would not even consider it due to the delivery date and the claim date being too far apart.

17. Mar 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Many of you are missing the point of OP's thread.

18. Mar 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM
    JayLeah

JayLeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5
    I can see where you are upset, but you trusted the shipping company to ship your items securely, why shouldn't he? I have purchased more than one set from Burt and never had any issues. Granted, I did have a long wait, but it was well worth it. He was very responsive and helpful even after I already received my lights and he received payment. I think the best you can get out of this is no longer have the shipping company package your items and maybe do it yourself? No offense, Just a thought.

19. Mar 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    OP you tried to be the nice guy/ middle man by shipping the lights to the retrofitter instead of the buyer. You were trying to save the buyer some time and in the process the retrofitter kept the box unopened for 3 weeks. Since the contents of the package were not verified by the "buisness" at the time of delivery, that leaves fed-ex cleaned and clear of any cause of damage in this scenario. I hate it when you think your doing a good thing and it seems like the complete opposite.

I receive auto parts at my dealership on a daily basis and I always check to make sure we received what we were supposed to receive. Not to say that the job is always done right then and there, but when it comes time to install that auto part, we know we have the correct part because we verified when it was delivered. In my opinion any good buisness would do the same. It saves the buisness time as well as the customer. If we were to open the box 3 weeks later to find out we have the wrong part then that customer would have to wait even longer. To run a good buisness you can't think about yourself and how "busy" you are. You have to take time to at least verify what is being delivered, it's not only for you, it's also for your customer.

OP- you seem like a stand up guy. Not a lot of people would have returned the $ once they already had it. Speaks volumes.

20. Mar 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    Heh, lesson learned.
    Thank you for the kind words, it's more so of the fact that he admitted fault but wouldn't do anything to fix it. It's all good though, I have my lights and Jason has his money.

Products Discussed in

To Top