1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you DISLIKE about your Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by OFFROADCARWASH, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    Para82

Para82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07Dbl cabSR5
    Engine tick
    no light in 4x4 switch
    noisy clutch pedal
    poor fuel economy

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    buellconvert

buellconvert Enjoying LIFE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab

:taco: I'm with you on that. I love my 1st gen.

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    jesse2035

jesse2035 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab

I have a feeling that if you started a thread about "What Do You Like About Your Tacoma" most of the posts would come from 1st Gen owners.

I really miss my 1st Gen Taco. My new 2nd Gen has really disappointed me. Toyota quality in my opinion has really fallen. Notice that most of the posts in this thread are from 2nd Gen owners.

I also gotta disagree with you about nothing man made being perfect. My 1st Gen Taco was perfection. As someone here said in another post. 1st Gen Taco's are built like bullets.

As for the complaining..... isn't the purpose of this thread for people to vent? At least that's what I get from the thread title. Maybe I am just a little jaded or need to be medicated. But that's just my opinion.

4. Aug 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    If you want better fuel economy, you could always buy a reg cab, 4 cyl..... I don't understand how so many people expect a 4300# nearly 90's fullsize truck to do any better, while towing 3 tons and running a high 15 sec 1/4.....:stirthepot:
    I don't know any big guys, who hardly eat..........

5. Aug 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    My '06 TRD Sport double cab Taco has an off-road clunk in the steering linkage that I can feel in the steering wheel. I have several threads on this. Chris4X4 and my service manager at dealership say it is normal. I have checked all members (great communication!!) suggestions and things seem tight, so the clunky nature is a tacoism.

Otherwise, my taco is just what I paid for. I have NO regrets making the purchase.

6. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    My 08 has the same clunk off road, but as long as it's normal and doesn't cause any failures, I can live with it.

7. Aug 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I love my '09. My '97 was a all metal tank. No room on the inside, but indestructible. If I had never driven a Gen1, I would not feel this way. I still feel it is the best truck in its class, but I feel since they stopped making them in Japan they have gone down a little in quality.

8. Aug 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    I love my first gen. Except for the uncomfortable seats with no lumbar support. ANd the fact that i dont have cruise control. Who makes a car now without Cruise control????

9. Aug 17, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Jordo

Jordo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Nissan Frontier CC

Well... I was thinking of jumping ship, but not sure now. The issues I have in my truck could be fixed, I just dont think they should have to be fixed at only 50K miles. The things that need fixed on your toyota seem like they are unfixable. Like the arm rest thing, or road noise. What could you possably do about that? Nothing. Or the ticking, wow, could not put up with that.

My Nissan has the balls of a V8 Mustang, and all the options that I would want, road noise... I thought my truck floated, thats how quiet it is. As the poor MPG, we are on the same page, I get 18ish, but I have 265hp...stock. I think mine is just a lemon.

Over at www.clubfrontier.org ... do we have issues with are trucks? Oh hell yeah, we got are issues. But ares are things like... Well I'll use me as an example. I bought my 2005 Frontier crew cab(4 door) 4X4 with 50K miles. Its had the Trans, rear diff, rotors turned, u-joint and batt. replaced. I feel like its to much in to short of time, but when working proper, I cant complane about things like road noise, weak brakes, arm rest not in correct position and cab not good for 6 foot drivers.

I guess its one or the other? Correct me if i'm wrong.

10. Aug 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    You should test drive a Tacoma and see what you think. If you decide to stick with your Frontier, then you will know that you at least gave the Tacoma a shot and have no regrets. JMO.

11. Aug 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I had a 2005 Nissan Frontier Lemon. Nissan had to buy it back after arbitration. The latest generation of frontiers have an awesome powertrain. Far slicker than the Taco, other than that they are junk. Many lemons, lots of rattles..... Hands down the worst put together vehicle (of 8) that I have owned. And Nissan Canada are a bunch of azzholes...
    The taco has less road noise, rattles, weird vibes and defects. Arm rest is fine according to me. The nissan is far more appealing on the surface though...A test drive is not likely to make you want to switch......

12. Aug 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff
    The plastic bed
    Ticking (I honestly thought something was wrong with it, or I was so paranoid that I was making up things wrong with it..)
    No tailgate lock
    No sunroof option
    No leather seat option
    Lack of D rings in the bed
    No bed light
    No locking gas cap
    Cloth arm rest on door
    Stereo System is not loud enough

Although I love my new truck :)

13. Aug 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Hunter423

Hunter423 Hunter423

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD off road
    brush guard, piaa foggs, tinted tail light, tinted windows, rain guards, pure white with blue tinted bulbd all over, white bulbs for licencess plate lighting, blacked out head lights
    the only things i hate is the one cd changer and the shitty sound system and the non-locking gas car door but other then that its the best truck in the world wouldnt trade it

14. Aug 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    Toycoma06

Toycoma06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Va.
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma 4x4 dbl. cab
    20% window tint, emblems removed, aftermarket grill, TRD Pro shift knob,4'' RC lift with BDS 2.0 fox rear shocks, 285x65r18 Nitto Ridge Grappler, 18x9 Monster Energy 540B 0mm offset, ...and more to come
    I hat my new "09's crappy throttle response and I despise the factory tires, Rocks rocks and more rocks. I loved my '06......R.I.P

15. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I like the plastic bed...I didn't have to pay $600 to line-X it.
    I didn't hear the ticking after the 2nd week of owing it...not even sure it still does it.
    No tailgate lock does suck but I am fixing that for $30.
    I would have liked a sunroof.
    I would NOT want leather seats. My butt sticks to them in the summer.
    D-rings were added for $28. And the cleats make up for the lack of D-rings. Everyone bitches about this but I have never owned a truck that came with more than 4.
    No bedlight does suck but I am working on fixing that for about $50.
    Why does everyone hate the cloth armrest on the door? I don't mind it.
    Stereo sucks all together.

I am very happy with my truck. I guess it's fun to have a thread like this...so people can say what they would change about their trucks. But, unless we designed our own, the list would be just as long for any other brand out there (OR LONGER).

But it does give people the wrong idea when they come here researching the truck.

16. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    that damn dash rattle!!:mad:

17. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    monrad

monrad Coprolite

Member:
    B'wood, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC short box TRD Sport, TM
    Avid light bar+RBG, Lightforce 140s, fog mod, FSM badges, Bobcatoshi grille + Stampede, JDM DRLs, TRD cat-back, rear spring TSB, AccessLE
    Stains from bug repellent, sunscreen, sweat/precious bodily fluids are tedious to remove from cloth, easier from vinyl, easiest from leather.

18. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    the payment, thank goodness I am almost done with it.

19. Aug 23, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    i absolutely love it ..... but i would like it if there was seat hight adjustment

20. Aug 23, 2009 at 6:08 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    oh yeah and the cheap paint

Products Discussed in