Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Portable Air Compressors... need advice please.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
coastemac is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Gunner's Mate First Class (E-6) Weapons Instructor/Armorer
Name: Mac
coastemac's Tacoma Gallery
Question Portable Air Compressors... need advice please.

What I'm looking for is one of those small, portable, "I've got a flat and I'm on the side of the road," type of portable air compressor. Problem I'm having is, I don't know one from the other. I've seen these in all different price ranges, brands, etc. but don't want to waste time and money trying out 10 different ones... so I'm asking the experts, yeah... that's you all. LoL.

I'm on a budget though too, so let's not get too crazy. I don't have flats often (rarely ever get to trail ride, etc.) so its just something to go with my plug kit.

Hopefully several of you can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
MV-50 air compressor - bag for the buck the best.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasYOTA View Post
MV-50 air compressor - bag for the buck the best.
Sorry, perhaps I'm just too new to all this... but can you tell me who makes it? I believe what you gave me is the model number, which I really appreciate by the way. Just need a brand name and I'll start searching for the best price.

Is this what you mean?? http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...air+compressor
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm using Viair 85P that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

http://www.viaircorp.com/85P.html

You can find it on Amazon, among other places: http://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-85P-Port.../dp/B0036E9VB6

Viair makes very good compressors. The higher-end models are popular for hardwiring into off-road vehicles to provide onboard air, for inflating tires, powering air tools and actuating ARB air lockers. Inflation times listed at http://www.viaircorp.com/85P.html#tabs-3 seem accurate.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastemac View Post
Sorry, perhaps I'm just too new to all this... but can you tell me who makes it? I believe what you gave me is the model number, which I really appreciate by the way. Just need a brand name and I'll start searching for the best price.

Is this what you mean?? http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV5...air+compressor
Get that one. I have the bigger version and it is great.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
x3 on the MV50. Amazing little compressor for $50.

FWIW, even for what you're doing I'd stay away from one's that plug into the cigarette lighting. That just can't draw as many amps.

edit: was $50 back when I bought it.....
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
REALLY appreciate the input and advice everyone !!! I'll let you know which one I decide to get, I think the MV50 will do what I need it to do... and is in my price range too.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Viair also makes the higher-spec'd 88P which clamps onto the battery terminals ($66):

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Viair also makes the higher-spec'd 88P which clamps onto the battery terminals ($66):

That is SWEET... but I've gotta see how BIG it actually is. I might sound like I'm being picky, but I'd like for it to either fit behind/under the back seats, or neatly tucked away in the toolbox I'm going to get... aka, not take up much space at all really.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Dimensions are 9.8"L x 3.1"W x 5.6"H per http://www.viaircorp.com/88P.html. The 88P fits upright in the bin under the rear seat of an Access Cab.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Dimensions are 9.8"L x 3.1"W x 5.6"H per http://www.viaircorp.com/88P.html. The 88P fits upright in the bin under the rear seat of an Access Cab.
Effin' - A !!! This is probably the ticket. Thanks again !!!

Products Discussed in this Thread