1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Folding Tonneau photos

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Forthedogs, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apr 10, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs [OP] Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    First mod-license plate frame reads... "Driver carries no cash-wife shows dogs"
    With all the opinions and critical commentary I have yet to see good photos of the finished products installed. I am trying to decide on a Bak flip, Extang or Fold a Cover. How about some pics that show the pros/cons/flaws of the finished product on the truck.
    I have seen a picture of the Bak Flip unfinished end piece but the picture did not give it a good view as it relates to the finished install. In plain english I like a very sanitary install. So lets see the pictures please.

Joe

2. Apr 10, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Hard covers or soft?

3. Apr 11, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  4. Apr 11, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    I recently purchased the Bak Flip G2 cover. The install took all of 15-20 minutes. Hell, it took more time getting it out of the box than the actual install. So far, I really like this cover. I did alot of research on the folding "hard" covers. It all can down between the Bak Flip or ther Fold a Cover. I chose the Bak Flip b/c it fit flush to the bed as well as I had alot of store credit at 4 wheel parts. Out the door was a total of $602.00

I dont have any pics at this time but will try sunday or monday (the old lady is out of town and has the digital camera) As everybody wants to know if the cover is water tight, so far went through 3 car washes and only noticed a very small amount of water near the top left corner and I havnt even put the drain tubes in yet!!!!!

5. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:11 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    My BakFlip G1 is a pile of hot garbage -- they have apparently improved quality on the G2, but I refuse to purchase one because of their wretched customer service. :thumbsup:

Best top for me next time :)

6. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Hi Joe, Welcome to the forum. Not sure what you meant by sanitary install. I have an Extang Trifecta Soft tri-fold similar to Jansters. Very easy initial install & easily comes completely on/off when you want the whole bed exposed. The sides rail vinyl does appear wrinkley when you look at because I guess the folding mechnanism but it stays completely dry and has held up very well in my last 2 years of use. Folded/taking off a lot. Would buy another probably in the canvas material next time, its less shiny. Pics are in gallery
    <-- click on camera

7. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    [​IMG]

This is my Extang Tri-Fold. I love it. Easy to install and easy to fold when you want to carry something large. No problems with leakage or anything like that.

8. Apr 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs [OP] Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Brilliant, I should have been more specific on what type of cover. Hard folding cover is the preferred weapon of choice. Either Extang, Fold a Cover or BakFlip. From what I have read they all have their own set of disadvantages.
    To me Sanitary is the finished product with all the ends of the extrusions capped off. In the case of the BakFlip does the end part line up flush with the tail gate? How level with the bed is it? One picture in this case IS worth a thousand words.

Thanks all for any pictures that can be supplied.

9. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    The Bak Flip fits flush with the entire bed as well as the taigate. I will try and get some pics later today when I wake up.

For the mean time:

[​IMG]

10. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
  11. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:37 AM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
  12. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I typically try to avoid taking any pictures that involve my Bakflip piece of shit, but I may be able to take some later. :thumbsup:

13. Apr 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    cmfranks

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
  14. Apr 12, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs [OP] Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Thanks All,

I had seen most of these. The one photo showing the gap from the BakFlip to the tail gate is one of the things I least like about it. The tail gate sits lower than the the bed sides and it does look like a coat hanger or even a gentle persuader (pry bar) could get in there and cause serious damage.
    The Extang may be the way I need to go but it prevents full use of the bed because it only folds 2 panels up.

15. Apr 12, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    as far as a coat hanger getting in the bakflip g2 and pulling the cord to unlock it....yes it definitely can be done. i did it to my own just for the hell of it. so i put some black plastic pieces in front of it (cant even tell its there, looks stock) which blocks any wire getting through to the cord that opens it. also i put a doorjam ground near the corner that is connected to my alarm. so if they do use a pry bar and force it open, it will set my alarm off.

16. Apr 22, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    scout101

scout101 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I don't have a picture handy, but have the Extang Solid-fold and like it. Very easy to install, looks good, and can be removed quickly and put in the bed sideways if needed. Definitely happy with the purchase.

Only knock I've got on it is that it's not 100% watertight. I could monkey with it and probably fix that easy enough, I'm just not concerned, as you don't get much in there when you do. Just don't get a perfect seal, so you get a little water in the edges when you're driving along at speed in the rain.

Easy install, though, looks good, and you can keep your rail system 100% intact.

17. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC

Is this the same as the Trifecta #44905? I'm all over this tonneau for ease of set up. Also, I'm thinking if I need the whole bed it will be too easy to take off and reinstall. Thanks.

18. Apr 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    Forthedogs

Forthedogs [OP] Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab
    Good things all around. I did do some looking a sellers like Camp Way. I had a chance to see and operate the Fold a Cover, Extang Solid Fold and by co-inky-dink someone was there with a Bakflip on a Nissan Frontier. The Extang was the only one I couldn't lift at one of the middle folds and "break into it" in 30 seconds. The Extang is the choice for me. I am just waiting for the Pop n Lock PL5300 to be available as a security measure. I want to do what I can to make sure it continues to look good on my truck instead of someone else's truck.

19. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I couldn't resist. I bought the Extang Trifecta off eBay last night for $377 shipped. It just looks to versatile to pass up. Plus the install looks to be so easy, even I can do it!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Apr 23, 2009 at 6:41 AM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    Sorry I didn't get back to you, didn't see your post. Yes, this is the TriFecta. I think you'll be real pleased with it.

Products Discussed in

To Top