Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Running Boards

Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Gotta Taco!
wanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MCB-11, ACB-1   '59-'63
Name: alan
wanna taco's Tacoma Gallery
Running Boards

My wife is handicapped, and has trouble getting into cars and especially trucks. I ordered a factory running board for my Prerunner for this reason. She still need a step stool, the running board being too high for her to manage, but useful in conjunction with the step stool, as well as for my washing the truck and loading the roof rack.

For myself, getting in and out is more of a hassle with the runningboards, as I scrape my legs as I bypass the boards. If I had it to do over, I'd leave off the boards for my comfort, and have my wife use the step stool to wash my truck!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Redneck Tech
JonEvans56 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
JonEvans56's Tacoma Gallery
Or you could just put a running board on one side, hahaha

would look a little strange though.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
LiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shedLiquidDragon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Electronics Technician
Name: Michael
LiquidDragon's Tacoma Gallery
Electric running boards? you can install both sides then leave your side unplugged so they don't lower when you open the door but if you sell the truck or want to start using them you just have to plug it in. just an idea
Old 11-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidDragon View Post
Electric running boards? you can install both sides then leave your side unplugged so they don't lower when you open the door but if you sell the truck or want to start using them you just have to plug it in. just an idea

This ^

I've been thinking of doing this, as I have the same problem as the OP (Scrape when I get off the truck), but still need it for the passenger side and its great for washing the roof.

A plus for the OP is I think the electric steps go lower when extended than a normal running board.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Gotta Taco!
wanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwanna taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes, I had really drooled over the electric board, but the price tag was a turn off, and it offered no protection from door dings like the solid boards offer.
Now that I know the running board isn't so great, I'll consider that electric board again when my pocketbook recovers from the big hit.

Your idea of customizing the electrics is a good one also...
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna taco View Post
Yes, I had really drooled over the electric board, but the price tag was a turn off, and it offered no protection from door dings like the solid boards offer.
Now that I know the running board isn't so great, I'll consider that electric board again when my pocketbook recovers from the big hit.

Your idea of customizing the electrics is a good one also...
Yes, the electric boards can be pricey, but are still my favorite mod.
I have amp research steps, but recall there was one other brand which was slightly cheaper.
You're right though, there is no additional protection from door dings, although they do provide lighting also which can be an additional safety feature.
I added brighter lighting than amps come with incidentally

Old 11-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Gotta Taco!

John, from all your long list of mods, it's gratifying that the Amp Research is your favorite! I do ahve the Amp Research bed step, a good quality item and very useful for this old man.

Another of your mods interests me greatly... How do you silence that damn ding ding seat belt? Want the idiot light, just silence that thing.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I think I read that if you close the door while on the step the steps would remain extended or something like that... So there is a possibilty you could leave them extended to help protect from door dings.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Gotta Taco!

I'd like to discover the exact hieght of those boards on a stock Prerunner to see if they might protect from door dings if left open. Sofiasdad has a lift, so that's not gonna help me.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #11
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna taco View Post
John, from all your long list of mods, it's gratifying that the Amp Research is your favorite! I do ahve the Amp Research bed step, a good quality item and very useful for this old man.

Another of your mods interests me greatly... How do you silence that damn ding ding seat belt? Want the idiot light, just silence that thing.
I had the dealer disable mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
I think I read that if you close the door while on the step the steps would remain extended or something like that... So there is a possibilty you could leave them extended to help protect from door dings.
^^^this
Old 01-30-2015, 03:40 AM   #12
Henry Johnston is on a distinguished road
Army:
Henry Johnston's Tacoma Gallery
Running Board

Might not be the LOOK you looking for . But I installed "TacomRacing " lowering kit 3" on frt 2" on Rear as I recall and it made in my opinion a better looking truck and easier in getting into cab as well as washing the truck . All done with ORIGIANL SHOCKS AND SPRINGS as very straight forward installation !
Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
Gotta Taco!

Henry, how did that affect the suspension and the ride? I've gotten used to it myself, but the wife has a lot of trouble getting in and out.

Oh, and just had the first dealer service, and had them deal with the seatbelt chime. It now goes silent after the first 5 dings. And got 6" seatbelt extenders, which disable the alarm altogether, but the big advantage here is to make the hitch accessible without contorting to find it. I leave mine plugged in, and remove the passenger extension until my wife is going to be with me. Need all the help you can get when you get my age.