1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Swiss Caps

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by woodswolf1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Nov 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    woodswolf1

woodswolf1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4WD Double Cab Long Bed
    Swiss aluminum cap
    I have a 2013 Double Cab, long bed SR5, 4x4, AT. I loveit!!! I miss a stick, but I love it. Anyway, I needed a cap for it, wanted aluminum. To me, they are easier to care for and I like the looks, plus wanted the racks for it. I finally settled on Swiss, made in southern Indiana. I’m in central IN so I drove down to have it installed once they custom built it. Fantastic service! The construction is solid, way better framing than my old Century!!! I remarked to the installer that it was built like my old Jason. He laughed and said they actually built the Jasons! LOL!

I love the way the cap is secured using the bed rails. It looks sleek overall. The side sliders are tinted. I wanted a front slider. They threw in a front slider that actually is hinged and can be opened into the cap for cleaning. It gives easy access to the back of the truck to clean out leaves and crap. It’s a slick idea.

Pros: clean lines, two handle security, stout frame, brake light is integrated ABOVE the door, racks can hold at least 300lbs, integrates with the bed rails, awesome service

Cons: The drop down front window shifts around, I have it duct taped in position. There is no latch on the front slider itself, so it is taped as well. I pretty much hate that damn window. L

Swiss has no control over the height difference between theside rails and the front and tailgate. They put a big rubber spacer under the front of the cap to take up the slack and it does a good job. The tailgatehowever is a bug a boo. There is a space nearly the size of a zippo lighter on each side of the door where weather can get into the cap. I have it blocked withsome rubber roofing, but not happy with that. That is a Toyota goof though. They should put plastic protectors on the front and tailgate to keep the heights all the same.

I highly recommend the Swiss caps though, if anyone is lookingfor a sturdy aluminum one. I am very happy with it! My next one will be a Swiss. As for their fiberglass ones, I can only say a friend loves his Swiss on his Chevy. J

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Nov 21, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    cgs2k2

cgs2k2 old man

Member:
    Nice review. I had a swiss cap for a couple of years. Good product.

3. Nov 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    dgc1

dgc1 Active Member

Member:
    I'm going to Swiss Cap this week an get a fiberglass on put on 14 access cab.

4. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    woodswolf1

woodswolf1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Swiss aluminum cap
    Thanks cgs2k2!

5. Nov 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    woodswolf1

woodswolf1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Swiss aluminum cap
    dgc1, let me know if they have found a way to deal with the tailgate! :)

6. Dec 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM
    dgc1

dgc1 Active Member

Member:
    No the issues are the same, but that is Toyota goof.

7. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    TRDMountaineer

TRDMountaineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ripley, WV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD Sport MGM 6-spd S/C
    TRD S/C, aFe Stage-2 Intake, Magnaflow 15315, Leer 100XQ w/ Tracker II Rack, General AT2 265/70R17, OEM skid, TRD FJ caps, Wet Okole Realtree seat covers, TRD grey shift knob, Weathertech floorliners, Weathertech window visors, Salex glove box+console organizers, Grid-It console lid mod, Lamin-X amber fogs, Craven Speed A-pillar phone mount, Debadged
    I bought mine a couple months ago (found on Craigslist). It's a great product other than 2 small issues:

1) Front window doesn't open. After reading this thread though, I might contact the company, sounds like a sliding window does at least exist.

2) Rubber lip over tailgate rubbed a faint line into my paint after only a few weeks of use. I'm going to buff it out and try a piece of clear paint protection film over the area, and hopefully that will prevent future damage.

8. Jan 12, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Let's see some photos!

9. Jan 13, 2015 at 4:07 AM
    woodswolf1

woodswolf1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Swiss aluminum cap
    My Century cap did the same thing to my Mazda B4000 tailgate. I had Ziebart put a paint protection film on my Tacoma's tailgate before that could happen. They didn't have one long enough for what I wanted, but you can't tell there are two pieces butted together. As for the front slider, I sure would not get the one that you can drop down to clean. I hate that dang thing and it was a freebie that he thrown in for me. I have duct tape holding it in position to minimize shifting in the frame. The fact that there is no latch on the sliding panel is just nuts. Email them and talk to them about the window. Swiss is great to work with! I've seriously considered changing out my drop down slider for a regular slider.

Products Discussed in

To Top