Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Buyer Beware - N-Fab sidesteps = Chinese Junk

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
CzechMate
SilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud of

Name: George
SilverJack's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Buyer Beware - N-Fab sidesteps = Chinese Junk

Just a quick pictorial review of the N-Fab sidesteps. You can draw your own conclusions.

N-Fab now subs the sidesteps to SmittyBilt. They do not make the bars, but their name is stamped onto the step.

N-Fab actually doesn't own the patent to this design, they just license it from Fichter Designs (FourFabs.com). This company does make their products in the US, but they now make a much better sidestep, so they sold this to N-Fab.

Smittybilt subs the work to China, since it's cheaper for them, and they pocket the difference.

Because it's made in China, Smittybilt "forgot" to tell their vendors that they no longer make a 3 inch main tube. They just keep the same stock number and send you the smaller tube (for the same price as the larger tube)

And since it's made someplace where the quality level is zero, the parts don't fit - (This is as close as it would stretch without beating it with a mallet)

So, I'm sending back this Chinese junk and buying a set made here in the US. Shame on you N-Fab for taking a design that you don't even own and letting Smittybilt farm it from China. That sort of business practice makes me sick.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I thought in previous threads on this it was determined that N-Fab steps were made in the USA as is advertised on their site while Smittybuilts were made in China

Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Looking up your part number on the Smittybilt site , it says in the vehicle specific description that they are a 2" main tube

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/3.htm

Old 12-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
CzechMate
SilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud ofSilverJack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Maybe from N-Fab, but they weren't taking orders. I was referred to Smittybilt who is supposed to make the 3 and 2 inch models under their license.

From their literature:

"Constructed with a 3" round main tube and four drop-down steps, your new Smittybilt Round Step Nerf Bars are built to last."

I even verified with two stock guys before I ordered them.

It seems that somewhere in the China pipeline, Smittybilt dropped the 3 inch line but didn't tell anyone.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
CzechMate

Quote:
I thought in previous threads on this it was determined that N-Fab steps were made in the USA as is advertised on their site while Smittybuilts were made in China
It has "N-Fab" stamped right into the metal step, and there is a big "N-Fab" sticker on the side of each tube. (with made in China underneath)
The only place I see SmittyBilt is on the instructions.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My N-Fabs , bought through N-Fab were made in the USA

Old 12-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
CzechMate

Quote:
My N-Fabs , bought through N-Fab were made in the USA
When did you buy them?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJack View Post
When did you buy them?

A couple years ago , however even at that point people were saying that the difference between the N-Fabs and N-Fabs licensed to Smittybilt was country of manufacture

Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery

Not sure that Smittybilt link I posted was working , here's what that part number you got says

T0678CC

Nerf Steps - 4 Step - 2" Main Tube 2005-2014

2005-2014 Toyota Tacoma

Tacoma Double Cab With 5' Bed

Tacoma Double Cab With 6' Bed

Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's my point. There shouldn't be a differ

Oh , I see , perhaps your thread title should be " Smittybilt steps are Chinese junk "

Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
CzechMate

That's my point, there shouldn't be a difference. If you make something with your company's name stamped into the metal, then it should come from where you advertise. There shouldn't be a "Smittybilt licensed Chinese version which only has a 2 inch tube". If there is, then take your name off the thing. N-Fab doesn't even hold the patent to this thing and they are just selling their name, and the pretense that it's made in the US (or Canada, or someplace where they give a crap if it fits or not).
Smittybilt is also to blame, but N-Fab is the one who stamps their name on it and claims their products are US made.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's my point, there shouldn't be a difference. If you make something with your company's name stamped into the metal, then it should come from where you advertise. There shouldn't be a "Smittybilt licensed Chinese version which only has a 2 inch tube". If there is, then take your name off the thing. N-Fab doesn't even hold the patent to this thing and they are just selling their name, and the pretense that it's made in the US (or Canada, or someplace where they give a crap if it fits or not).
Smittybilt is also to blame, but N-Fab is the one who stamps their name on it and claims their products are US made.
Is this your first encounter with American capitalism? Sell someone else's product for more than you paid for it, that's pretty much how it works, happens all over the country.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
CzechMate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Is this your first encounter with American capitalism? Sell someone else's product for more than you paid for it, that's pretty much how it works, happens all over the country.
Not my first rodeo, but now I'm quicker to post my story. The more people I can defer away from Smittybilt and N-Fab the better I sleep.

Why spend your money and time on something that may not fit, and is assembled by monkeys. If it says "China" send it back.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof

Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
N-Fab does make and sell in the US and yes, they authorized Smittybilt to make and sell N-Fab stamped pieces from China. This is why they are so much cheaper.

This was already determined by other members... old news, but thanks for bringing it forward as a reminder!

Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You can get 3" N-Fabs

http://www.n-fab.com/products/sfID1/.../productID/113

Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
CzechMate

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyohtadude View Post
N-Fab does make and sell in the US and yes, they authorized Smittybilt to make and sell N-Fab stamped pieces from China. This is why they are so much cheaper.

This was already determined by other members... old news, but thanks for bringing it forward as a reminder!
I found those posts, but they were unsubstantiated. If they had photo evidence, I would have stayed away from both companies. I felt it important to provide photos to show the truth.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Take everything you own that is made outside the US and throw it out. And post a picture of what you have left.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
CzechMate

Quote:
I can also order from an honest company that doesn't let their name be stamped on junk.

Closed Thread