1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by AMCamx, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Feb 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM
    AMCamx

AMCamx [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2015 Turd Off Road
    I have a 2015 Tacoma and am looking for a Tonneau cover. I have heard about some not fitting well with the Toyota Rail System, so please recommend a good durable cover that seals well.

Someone commented that this cover does not work well with the Rail System:

http://tonneaucoversworld.com/extang-trifecta-toyota-tacoma-5-bed-2005-2010-2.aspx

"Stay away from this cover if you own a Toyota Tacoma. It is very difficult to install on the Tacoma rail system. They give you adapter brackets with no instructions. I called Extang and they emailed me the instructions for the adapters. Once I completed the installation I found that the handle used to attach the cover to the braket was inpropely installed. I had to take it apart to correct the problem. This is a one size fits all cover and has a 2" gap from the edge of the cover to the side of the bed at the cab wend and no gap at the tailgate end. I have ordered Extang covers for my pickups since '95 and this is the poorest quality cover they sold me. I regret buying this cover and cannot recommend it to anyone. "

2. Feb 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 Black DCLB
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    If you are interested in a roll up cover I would recommend the Access limited edition tonneau. I bought it based on recommendations from other TW members and I have been happy with it. Easy to open/close and seals pretty good. Factory bed cleats can still be used too which is nice.

3. Mar 2, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    sixtytooze

sixtytooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey tgriff, do you have any pictures of the tonneau cover and how it attaches. I've been looking for a cover and still want to use the rail and cleats. Thanks.

4. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    8.5" x 17" Fuel Hostage black wheels P265/65/R17 Toyo Open Country AT II tires Rigid Industries Dually LED pods on back bumper (Diffused pattern) Rigid Industries 10" SR2 amber LED light bar behind grille (Driving pattern) - Custom mount Magnaflow 18" performance muffler Magnaflow 4" resonator exhaust tip - Welded on 3M 35% tint on front windows Access Limited roll-up tonneau cover Uniden Bearcat 880 CB radio 4' Firestik Firefly CB antenna on Relentless Fab hood mount AVS vent visors Lamin-X amber fog light covers ND4's fog light anytime mod Ultragauge MX 1.3 mounted on dash - Custom mount Weathertech floor liners front & rear Access LED battery-powered bed light CravenSpeed stubby antenna OEM Bed Mat Bosch Icon windshield wipers Plasti-dipped front emblem Debadged TRD Sport bedside decals removed Mud flaps removed
    Yea sure, I'll snap some pictures for you tomorrow when it is light out. There is a mounting rail that comes with the cover that goes behind the factory bed rails. In order to install the Access rail you have to temporarily remove the factory bed rails and then replace them after putting the Access rail behind them. It sounds like a lot but it really wasnt too bad.

5. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Access Instructions.jpg

This should give you an idea of what I am talking about, the backwards "C" shaped rail shown in the pictures is the factory rail and the odd y-shaped rail is the Access rail that you install behind it. The access rail has velcro along the side which is used to secure the cover.

6. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:46 AM
    sixtytooze

Member:
    Thanks.

7. Mar 3, 2015 at 4:16 AM
    SigGuy

SigGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC SR5
    ADS Coilovers & Camburg UCAs @ Front, Wheelers 5-leaf HD & 5100s @ Rear, Satoshi Grill, Pelfrybilt Rear Bumper, BAK Roll X, WeatherTech Floor Liners and Vent Visors, Wet Okole Covers, @mrmarv/Kenwood/HAT/Arc Audio system
    I Installed a BAK RollX a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty happy with the result. Combined with a locking tailgate handle, it keeps things secure and almost watertight.

8. Mar 3, 2015 at 4:56 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
  9. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:33 AM
    sixtytooze

Member:
    I think I will probably go with the Access Limited. I had one on my '04 and really liked it. Install was easy and very user friendly. Thanks for the advice.

10. Mar 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    tgriff

tgriff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CT
    Vehicle:
    No problem man, I assume you don't need any pictures then? I never got around to taking them so if you still want them you'll have to wait lol

11. Mar 3, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    genardo05

genardo05 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    I've had an Extang Trifecta Signature series for the past 3 years and I couldn't be happier. No rain drips in at all and it has held up as good as new for the last 40k miles. The truck has also sat outside while living in Seattle and now in the southeast.

12. Apr 21, 2015 at 1:39 PM
    gttac12

gttac12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    adirondacks,ny
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sport 4wd
    Just installed access limited tonneau cover with seal kit for front of bed and around tail gate,the cover also came with a led light,pole for reaching inside of bed and spray bottle of cleaner utv protectant.The quality is top notch and was easy to install.

13. Apr 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    My truck came with a Leer hardcover, locked.

While nice if that's what you want, I didn't, because it's heavy, and I needed easy removability to haul bikes, kayaks and other stuff.

I went with the Extang Trifold. Takes zero space in the bed (unlike rollups), is very light, and I can remove it myself in under 5 minutes.

No softcover will guarantee 100% dryness, but it's pretty darn close.

Love it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top