Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Duplicolor Super White II

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Duplicolor Super White II

I find this to be an exact color for Toyota's 040 Super White color. The paint had good adhesion to metal and plastic but i recommend a surface prep before painting.

This color does not need a clear coat and find that using a clear coat (i used duplicolor clear coat) on this color turns the color a shade darker than the factory color.

I suggest a rubbing compound to bring out some shine followed by a wax sealer or wet sanding followed by wax sealer.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
wareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
wareagle5693's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693
What did you do, paint your door handles, mirrors bumper? what. I'm looking into their paint. Any wear on it?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review. Mind letting us know where ya got it? I want to do my Grille surround.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Voos will become famous soon enough

Voos's Tacoma Gallery
I must have got a bad batch! Mine wasn't even close.. way too yellow!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
mine ended up too yellow too... It looked good until I clear coated over it so I think im going to pull the grille back off and give it a light sand then hit it with the duplicolor and forget the clear this time.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
wareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
wareagle5693's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
mine ended up too yellow too... It looked good until I clear coated over it so I think im going to pull the grille back off and give it a light sand then hit it with the duplicolor and forget the clear this time.
Don't do that.... find a different color paint. You could use Duplicolor 'Gloss White' and it's almost an exact match too. It's what I'm going to use on my bumper and maybe my grill. EquinsuOcha use it for his bumper and says it's a match.

Plus if you don't use clear coat Relentless, it's going to chip like crazy.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Stock Work Truck, urgh...
subspd is on a distinguished road
subspd's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone tried using dupli-color "gloss white"?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
lurtsman is on a distinguished road
lurtsman's Tacoma Gallery
Thread resurrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle5693 View Post
Don't do that.... find a different color paint. You could use Duplicolor 'Gloss White' and it's almost an exact match too. It's what I'm going to use on my bumper and maybe my grill. EquinsuOcha use it for his bumper and says it's a match.

Plus if you don't use clear coat Relentless, it's going to chip like crazy.
Hey guys,

Sorry to introduce myself by bringing a thread back from dead, but this has been bothering me for over a year. I've known I needed people who knew more about Tacomas, and it is time to make the plunge.

Has anyone else here had experience with using duplicolor, or other paints on their tacoma? I used super white 2 (code 040) and then clear coated it without checking the color. When I took down my shields I saw it looked kind of darker and yellow. I thought maybe I had done something wrong til I saw this film. The white paint cap perfectly matches my Taco. The guys at the autozone--who had not seen the cap held next to the car blamed it on fading, but this color pattern holds true under neath the folding piece (lid?) on its canopy.

So here is my experience, and your wisdom is greatly appreciated.
I'll try to upload some pictures here to give more depth to my story. Since I haven't used these forums I'll rely on your knowledge to figure out which picture is which.

I noticed that where the soft part of the camper lid came down there was some rust on the left side -- for some reason it seemed to have rubbed the paint off. I still have no idea why this happened.

Determined to fix it I went to autozone and had someone help me match the color of my Tacoma. We picked up a bottle of primer, of super white 2, and of clear coat. I spray paint things regularly, so this wasn't too strange. I used some tape and card board to cover all but a straight line across the back of the truck. I prepped the area (I believe with some sand paper and rubbing alcohol) The line was about 2 inches tall, and went from one side of the tail gate to the other. I left the lid up for 3 days waiting for it to finish drying. This seemed excessive, but iowa gets pretty humid over night. I noticed the paint was the wrong color -- it was slightly darker, a little yellow-ish, more of a "dirty white" than a "super". At this point I had no idea it was the clear coat that caused it -- as I had nothing to compare to while doing it. I still don't know that for sure, but that is what this thread makes me think. The cap on the super white is a perfect match for my taco.

When I opened the lid some of the paint tore -- and this continued to be an issue each time. For the life of me I still don't know why the paint comes off to attach the piece of the camper. Do any of you know? I also have a few other spots I'd like to touch up, but I think a brush would be superior to spray because placing a tiny drop is easier than preventing all the other spray from hitting.

So here are my questions.
1. What should I do for spots on the front? Just little drips? They are all smaller than pencil erasers.

1a. Would this be a viable option (matching colorwise, etc)?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_18904-90-759...ite&facetInfo=

^Checked copy and paste to verify that it works. Don't know if it will come up as a link though. It is a link to rustoleum's "gloss white". I couldn't tell if the duplicolor would stop rust that was already starting where paint was chipped.

1b. Given that spots are small, would those spots need any kind of clear coat?

2. What should I do about the gate on the back?
2a. How do I remove the rust?
2b. How do I stop my camper lid from grabbing/ripping the paint?
2c. How do I clean the paint off that area?
2d. Is it an option to do this without clear coat? If not (as someone above had advised) would the rustoleum work?
2e. If I need to clear coat it, would a different brand of clear coat not cause the discoloration that lead to it being a "fail-match"?
2f. Do we suspect that the issue is the underlying paint, or that the clear coat simply is not clear?

3. What's the deal with those spots inside my camper? Should I try to put paint around that to stop it from rusting?

If you guys have it in you to walk me through this, I'll come back with more questions about maintenance. This truck has become my hobby. I was never a "car guy" -- until I bought this truck for my business. Now it feels like an extension of me.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
lurtsman is on a distinguished road
lurtsman's Tacoma Gallery
PS

Hope this comes through, says mod has to review posts first. I forgot to add the pictures to the last post in which I asked several questions. Here are the pictures referenced in the other post.

Hmm, max file size of 100 kb means I could hardly upload a cell phone quality picture. Note to anyone uploading: It works fine, it resizes my high res photos to give you small thumbnails. Clicking on them appears to give you the high res version. -To the best of my knowledge, via usage of the "preview post" option.

As a back up, here is a link to an image shack album that also contains a couple other pictures--generally of things I want to fix.
http://imageshack.us/g/683/hpim7096h.jpg/
Attached Thumbnails
Duplicolor Super White II-hpim7090.jpg   Duplicolor Super White II-hpim7091.jpg   Duplicolor Super White II-hpim7092.jpg   Duplicolor Super White II-hpim7094.jpg   Duplicolor Super White II-hpim7096.jpg  

Old 01-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
Tacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant futureTacozoid has a brilliant future
Name: Terry
Tacozoid's Tacoma Gallery
I used the duplicolor super white II on my grill surround and my mistake was clear coating it. After a month it yellowed. I had to wet sand the whole thing all over and re paint it. It's real close but not a perfect match.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
Rufio is on a distinguished road
Navy: NAVY DIVER FIRST CLASS
Name: Rufio
Rufio's Tacoma Gallery
you can pick it up at any autozone
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
AZ it is a "dry heat"
supriseaztacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
supriseaztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from duplicolor ! Yellow..... i was pissed... i think it was more the clear than the base color though.. i called an auto paint supply and picked up some from them..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Rufio is on a distinguished road
Navy: NAVY DIVER FIRST CLASS
Name: Rufio
Rufio's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i used a random primer white. and when it was dry, perfect match..