Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Pressure washer

Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
BigT is on a distinguished road
BigT's Tacoma Gallery
Pressure washer

Can anyone recommend a good pressure washer, (prefer an electric)?

My brother in law has a small Karcher he bought on QVC a few years ago, seems happy with it. I want one to clean the vinyl siding, lawn chairs,etc., so I don't want to spend a small fortune, but want something that will be reliable and do the job.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i dunno about electric but anything with a honda engine is good...i think they sell them at lowe's under the troy built name
Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I had an electric & it lasted 1 whole summer.

I bought a gas one.....I think it's a BRUTE.....has a Briggs & Stratton 2500psi bought it at WalMart.

Starts first pull every time

EDIT:
It's this one

Old 06-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
We have a gasser...
A Cambell Hausfield. We've had it for many years.
If you want the exact specs, let me know - I'll run outside and get the model number.

We did have to replace a brass fitting on the main outlet. That's only because for many years of this thing sitting in the shed over the winters with no maintenance done to it.... The cold/water eventually cracked a brass fitting. Easy fix.... and it's still kicking. I"m actually surprised its been lasting this long.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
BigT's Tacoma Gallery
What type of winter maintenance is needed? Which is better, horizontal or vertical shaft?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an electric Karchar at Lowes for $100. I tried using it to clean my concrete patio but it was not very strong. It stopped working before I finished a 2 hour job. I returned it and bought a Troy-Built with the Honda engine at Lowes for $300.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...344&lpage=none

I did a lot of research before purchasing this. I read a lot of poor reviews of the Briggs and Stratton engines (sucking oil). I never thought I would use the power washer as much as I do (siding, vehicles, concrete driveway / patios, decks, rugs, gutters, furniture and much more). If you can do it, you won't regret it.

Very easy to maintain too. No mixing of gas and the oil needs drained and filled once a year (easy to do).
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that's the one i got...lol
Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Mines from Honda, works all the time, everytime. That thing is a tank, and is used frequently as I own multiple properties.

I would definitely recommend it because I've had two cheap ones that crapped out on me, so I said to hell with it and spent a 100$ more, and I've had this pressure washer for almost four years now with NO problems.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What type of winter maintenance is needed? Which is better, horizontal or vertical shaft?
I think the most critical thing if you live in cold weather climates - is putting an antifreeze solution in the pump to prevent the water from freezing / expanding and ruining the pump.

You can buy little cans of antifreeze with a special tube that should thread onto the pump - like this
http://www.ultimatewasher.com/images...action-big.jpg
Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
windsheild washer fluid works just as well as anything and is cheap. you need a short piece af garden hose and fitting to attach to washer. put the hose end in a gollon of washer fluid, turn on washer to advance the fluid throughout the pump...done.

few powerwasher tips...

try to get one that has a separate unloader valve, so that it can be repalced down the raod. a lot of the less expensive one's have this valve attached to the pump, so you have to replace the entire assembly if the unloader valve goes bad. (the unloader valve is what takes the "shock" of letting off the trigger)

also, a unit with a hose with standard 3/8 pipe fittings will allow you to buy a quality hose to replace the factory one when you burn it on the exhast (seen this a bunch of times) or it gets a hole in it. most of the cost effective units come with a POS hose & wand and have a goofy threaded fitting that can be tough to find.

make sure there is a valve & packing rebuild kit available for the model you choose. buy the kit when you get the washer, then put it somewhere you won't forget about....you will need it eventually.

gallons per minute is more important than PSI. you want the most GPM you can get. 3.0 GPM at 2000 psi will anihilate a 1.5 GPM at 3000psi.

do not pulse the trigger on the wand, (rapid depressing & releasing of the trigger) this will wear out the packing in the pump. look for a wond with quick change tips instead of an adjustable tip.

don't run the unit at full speed if you have a gasoline engine. it (the engine) will last much longer if you set the throttle at about 75%.

eventually, i will get a unit like this for myself...but have not had the funds available. (plus a buddy has a good one that is up for borrowing when i need it)

LOWER RPM Means Higher Pump Life Expectancy and Less Heat Exchange
Order Online or Call Toll Free 866-858-4982, 24 hrs. a day

Belt Drive - Gas Powered Unit
Gas Powered Unit
Model: PP-SSEB4040HC with CAT Pump

Standard Features:
  • <LI class=justify>4,000 PSI at 4.0 GPM <LI class=justify>13 HP Honda Engine - GX390 (2 year warranty) <LI class=justify>Industrial Cat Pump (5 year warranty) <LI class=justify>16,000 Cleaning Units <LI class=justify>Chemical Injector Kit <LI class=justify>Oil Alert (low oil shutdown) <LI class=justify>EZ Start Adjustable Unloader <LI class=justify>50 FT High Pressure Hose <LI class=justify>4 Quick-Connect Spray Tips <LI class=justify>36" Insulated Lance <LI class=justify>4,000 PSI Trigger Gun <LI class=justify>10" Tubed pneumatic tires <LI class=justify>Stainless Steel Frame <LI class=justify>Belt Drive
  • Weight: 200 lbs
one more thing...if you don't want to spend the cash, you can rent a good one at an equipment rental store for probably less than $50 a day. they can be found at the same places that rent skid steers, mini excavators, etc.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
BigT's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info, I believe I will end up buying a gas powered with a Honda engine, already had a bad experience with B&S engine on a Craftsman riding mower. Now the fun begins, a quality unit to fit my budget!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
i know this bring back a old topic but, What is good amount of pressure forlike cleaning atvs/dirtbikes and my truck from long day of off roading in themud???
Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
i know this bring back a old topic but, What is good amount of pressure forlike cleaning atvs/dirtbikes and my truck from long day of off roading in themud???
Any entry level gas powered pressure washer will do. I would get something which puts out around 2000-2500psi.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Any entry level gas powered pressure washer will do. I would get something which puts out around 2000-2500psi.
ok cool thx. any recommend brands ???
Old 08-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok cool thx. any recommend brands ???
gallons per minute. Get something at least 3gpm. Look for a Honda 9hp engine. BTW, Honda does not make powerwashers, just engines. Pay close attention to the pump itself. Bigger pump head (shiny brass part) = better. The pump manufacturers I would recommend: General Pump, AR pump, Comet, or if you're loaded with cash CAT pump.

I know you can go to lowes and buy something for $250 that may do the job, but for how long? Look at a washer as a tool...better to invest a little more up front than to have it fail when most needed. Gear reduction and belt drive models much> direct drive (pump bolted directly to engine). Steer clear of undermounted and round shaped pumps. Again, look for a quality wand/hose setup. If it has a pastic knob on either end of the hose, it cannot be repaired, only replaced. Good hoses will have steel in them and can easily be repaired at a truck shop or hydraulic shop for $20.

I'm not talking out my ass here either. I work on powerwashers almost daily. Our shop won't even look at the cheapos because repairs cost as much as the entire unit can be bought new for. Try Craigslist for a good used unit that won't break the bank if you don't have a lot to spend.

Almost forgot...be sure to winterize the pump if you live in a cold climate. Also, if a small engine is going to be stored for more than 2 months don't turn it off with the ignition switch. Turn off the gas and let the engine purge the carburetor till it dies. This will ensure you don't have a bunch of black Goo in the carburetor when you next want to use the machine.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
the full Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
gallons per minute. Get something at least 3gpm. Look for a Honda 9hp engine. BTW, Honda does not make powerwashers, just engines. Pay close attention to the pump itself. Bigger pump head (shiny brass part) = better. The pump manufacturers I would recommend: General Pump, AR pump, Comet, or if you're loaded with cash CAT pump.

I know you can go to lowes and buy something for $250 that may do the job, but for how long? Look at a washer as a tool...better to invest a little more up front than to have it fail when most needed. Gear reduction and belt drive models much> direct drive (pump bolted directly to engine). Steer clear of undermounted and round shaped pumps. Again, look for a quality wand/hose setup. If it has a pastic knob on either end of the hose, it cannot be repaired, only replaced. Good hoses will have steel in them and can easily be repaired at a truck shop or hydraulic shop for $20.

I'm not talking out my ass here either. I work on powerwashers almost daily. Our shop won't even look at the cheapos because repairs cost as much as the entire unit can be bought new for. Try Craigslist for a good used unit that won't break the bank if you don't have a lot to spend.
ok cool thxs for the info.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #18

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok cool thxs for the info.
No problem. If you find something you're interested in, post it up and ill do my best to critique it for you.