Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Insurance Question

Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Fly5465 is on a distinguished road
Fly5465's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance Question

Not sure what forum to post this in?

Anyway, I'm thinking about switching my insurance to Geico. Anyone else here use Geico, if so do you like them? Any comments welcome. I'm currently with Allstate, but it looks like switching to Geico will save me a good deal of money.

Fly5465 - Arizona
Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
We just switched to Geico after 25+ years with L.M.,they totally blew it and Geico matched everything policy to policy and was $800+ a year cheaper...

Their C.S is right on too,they found an error on an accident my son got into with my Taco BUT L.M. had it listed under me ( same 1st name) and helped get it straight.....I drive for a living and DO NOT need any "oops" showing on my CDL......

Plain and simple.....price,price and price again BUT compare everything,glass,rentals,body shops they use,out of state travel,replacement value.....the "Devil" is in the details......

Snoope back quiet

I'm "Young" like you..........maybe 30 + years experience gives us better discounts
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I have them on my bike......I had a claim 2 months ago....they sent a lady out the next day & wrote me a check on the spot!

They're way higher on our vehicles than Allstate so I don't know about their auto insurance.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Fly5465's Tacoma Gallery
Snope,
Yea, I have been with Allstate for 25+ years. I guess I just dont like change? Anyway, I decided to shop a little. Geico and Progressive were both much cheaper. With Geico I can get almost 3x the insurance coverage for about $650 per year less. I think that is enough to make me want to change.

Thanks for your input!
FLY5465
Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Fly5465's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
I have them on my bike......I had a claim 2 months ago....they sent a lady out the next day & wrote me a check on the spot!
Sounds like they took care of you quickly! Thats pretty good. Thanks for the input.

Fly5465
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
I was with Geico for about a year and never had any problems. Like you I shopped around, but decided to go with USAA who blew everyone out the water.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
WoodsDweller
KraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shedKraQr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dave
KraQr's Tacoma Gallery
USAA is definately the way to go if they will pick you up.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
nytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shednytmarecoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nytmarecoma88's Tacoma Gallery
when i first bought my taco, i had geico, showed proof of insurance and all that jive before i drove off the lot, well i hadnt had it 6 hrs and some punk kids threw a rock into my back window while i was parked, i called geico and they said "your policy wasnt offically effective until the 29th" which was the next day
Old 07-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytmarecoma88 View Post
when i first bought my taco, i had geico, showed proof of insurance and all that jive before i drove off the lot, well i hadnt had it 6 hrs and some punk kids threw a rock into my back window while i was parked, i called geico and they said "your policy wasnt offically effective until the 29th" which was the next day
Sounds about right. Had to fight GEICO for my then new 1991 Celica that a uninsured drunk driver T-Boned me the next day after buying it. Fought them for 3 years to pay my claim off while I was still making payments to the bank for a car that was basically totaled. Been with Nationwide ever since.

When I bought my 09 a few weeks back, Progressive was offer me a rate of over $650 less than a year Nationwide. Called my Nationwide agent and wanted to cancel and was priced matched to stay with them.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Gunga will become famous soon enoughGunga will become famous soon enough
Gunga's Tacoma Gallery
I just switched to Progressive from State Farm. Saved about $800.00 a year (for 3 vehicles)
Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
Esurance is the way I went. Great people, very friendly and excellent service when my truck got stolen. I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Fly5465's Tacoma Gallery
My Update

Hey all,
I just wanted to upate this thread because I started it. First I want to thank you all for the replies, it really helps.

I was with Allstate and I shopped around for new auto insurance as well as home insurance for my 2 homes. I looked at several companys including Geico, Progressive, American Family and a couple others.

In the end I went with Horace Mann. I got 3 times the amount of coverage and saved over $600 per year. I also met a really nice agent, he was great to deal with. I like being able to talk to "my" agent as opposed to just doing it over the phone with a big company like Geico.

Geico and Progressive were really competitive but Horace Mann just barely beat them when considering autos and homes.

For those of you who said to check with USAA, I think your right. I have heard they have great rates (Even my new agent with Horace Mann said this). However, I didn't qualify to be insured by them. You need to have a military back ground. Sorry to say I don't.

Thanks again for the help. I'm really pleased with my decesion to change! And would you beleive I was with the same Allstate guy for 30 years! I gave him the option to match my new insurance quotes, but he said he couldn't. I guess it was time for a change.

FLY5465
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be shopping around myself once I get the Taco. I'm with Erie insurance now and they quoted me 1300 a year for the Taco. I was already paying 1100 a year for my Impala SS and they consider that a performance vehicle. I know I should be well under $1k if I shopped around.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
No Good

Here in NJ , Geico and Progressive are reported to be the worst.
1. Geico called us one day said we left the scene of an accident in Silver Springs, MD. Only problem is our car was in our garage in NJ at the time of the accident. We had never been to Silver Springs, MD. Told Geico this they still wanted to charge us for the accident. We called SS, MD Police to ask if we had been in a accident and would they have called us. They said no accident and of course they would have called. Nice job Geico.
2. Geico tried to charge us for an accident that our daughter had under her own policy. She a different naem but our address.
3. Geico failed to pay a homeowners claim to us for a fire we had, Claimed we did not have insurance at the time. But they cashed our check. Never notified us of no insurance or cancelled policy.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I'm surprised so many of you seem to go so long without changing your insurance. You're burning money away. Wherever I've lived, I've preferred to deal with a local insurance broker (an insurance office that represents multiple insurance companies.) Every six months, I pay the office a visit and have them rerun my numbers to find me the absolute best deal. Besides making sure I'm always paying the least amount possible for the coverage I want, it also means I have a local office, with people I know, to go to when I make a claim.

Insurance companies are coming out with new plans/customer tiers all the time. I've been using the same insurer (through the office I deal with) for 4 years now. However, every year or so, I end up getting my rate reduced, either due to a new plan they came out with, or just because of tickets dropping off. More often than not, an insurance company will NOT lower your rate significantly on their own (from tickets dropping or whatever.) You need to be proactive about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
i have geico as well, cheapest quotes ive seen
Old 08-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #19
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Wow, I'm surprised so many of you seem to go so long without changing your insurance. You're burning money away. Wherever I've lived, I've preferred to deal with a local insurance broker (an insurance office that represents multiple insurance companies.) Every six months, I pay the office a visit and have them rerun my numbers to find me the absolute best deal. Besides making sure I'm always paying the least amount possible for the coverage I want, it also means I have a local office, with people I know, to go to when I make a claim.

Insurance companies are coming out with new plans/customer tiers all the time. I've been using the same insurer (through the office I deal with) for 4 years now. However, every year or so, I end up getting my rate reduced, either due to a new plan they came out with, or just because of tickets dropping off. More often than not, an insurance company will NOT lower your rate significantly on their own (from tickets dropping or whatever.) You need to be proactive about it.
a few years back I had Geico give me a quote for everything and they couldn't even come close in cost to my policies with State Farm.....and I have a good line of communication to my agent established.......

you got me thinkin' otter that I may need to reevaluate again maybe just to keep them honest.