Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Magnaflow Exhaust Review

Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Magnaflow Exhaust Review (Vids & Pics)

Magnaflow 5x8x18

Well...after much deliberation I went in to my shop to purchase a Flowmaster 50 Delta. After several minutes of exhaust discussion with their "go-to guy" on exhaust, he convinced me to go Magnaflow. I wanted rumble, with minimal "ricey" sound as its often described here. I told him I wanted my truck to actually sound like a truck, with minimal cabin impact...but some impact

Anyway, we decided on Magnaflow for its sound (which he believed to be the closest to what I wanted) and I also enjoyed the thought of Stainless Steel, lifetime warranty, etc.

Looks
I didnt purchase for looks per se, but I knew I wanted the nice looking tips. I knew I wanted single in dual out, but I went back and forth between exits on the rear, side, side-angled, etc. I decided to match stock, but they told me if I change my mind just come in and they will move it. I definately looks sharper than stock IMO.

Sound
I wont lie...it took me off guard at first. It was a bit much inside the cabin in comparison to stock, but I think it was just the change that spooked me. Ive only driven it a few times now, but Im really enjoying it. It sounds (to my ears) deep and rich, and more aggressive with higher rpms.

Start:
Nice fat rumble to the start.
Idle:
Not very noticeable change.
Low RPMs:
Sounds good. Its no v8...but its throaty.
Low-Mid:
Best arena for this setup. Sounds thick coming out of the stop.
Mid-High:
Goes from a rich deep sound to a more...performance tone. Has a sportscar/truck sound to my ears.
High:
Like any engine, the sound thins out at the high rpms. Sounds good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3dPL3lce4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpIEOHYK-o
Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
M4arc is just really niceM4arc is just really niceM4arc is just really niceM4arc is just really nice

Navy:
M4arc's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds nice to me. Do they make a single side system as well?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Dang. That sounds awesome. Thanks a ton for the review. I really like the dual side exhaust cuz I feel I would bend the rear exits offroad. I've already bent my wire harness for the trailer so I would think I could bend the exhaust as well.

Have you taken it on the highway yet? Is there a drone?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

They do make a single system. As far as the highway drone, I dont believe so...but I dont know exactly what this "drone" that everyone speaks of is. At highway speeds when the rpms settle you pretty much dont notice you have an aftermarket exhaust. Im sure there are spots where there is noticeable added vibration from the exhaust, but it would be infrequent.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good, glad you found something you like.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tac05 View Post
Sounds good, glad you found something you like.
Thanks bud. Not sure if this will be the finished product or not...but I like it. I still have yet to hear a flowmaster in person so Ill be keeping an ear out for one of those as well. Im still very curious about the flowmaster 50 delta and how it would compare to the Mag. You really cannot tell much based on the quality of most peoples videos.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I had a magnaflow cat-back on my X-Runner and I loved the sound esp at around 100 mphish. One of the reasons I got rid of the X-Runner started to know the Police a little much.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

Ill have to get a drive-by video. I had a buddy drive it for me today and go back and forth in front of his house at different speeds and RPMs.

The Magnaflow sounds INCREDIBLE outside the vehicle IMO. Not ricey at all...it has an amazing rumble even at moderate RPMS which is exactly what I was looking for. Its sound inside the cabin is misleading...outside is where its at for sure. My first video does an OK representation, but doest really to it justice. There is far more bass and "umph" in person.

Still quite happy with the upgrade. The increased loudness inside took me off guard at first, but I should have known better than to think it would sound as quiet inside as stock. I should clarify that its not loud, just a different more pronounced tone. Also, still no highway drone that Ive noticed after 55, 60, 65, and 70 mph cruise tests.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
yeap i like mine.muffler was $77 bucks(partsdot.com) and $45 to weld in place.sweet deal imo.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Arcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the roughArcanite09 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Nico
Arcanite09's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome review! Is this a cat-back system or just a muffler cut n weld?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanite09 View Post
Awesome review! Is this a cat-back system or just a muffler cut n weld?
Muffler back (got the muffler, dual tips, piping, etc.) Not sure if its welded though...I thought I heard him mention clamps. Differences?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
TRDrew is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
TRDrew's Tacoma Gallery
NIce job. What did that set you back?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDrew View Post
NIce job. What did that set you back?
Singe in dual outs, chrome tips, piping, etc. all installed for about $300. Would have loved to save some coin and purchase online - install myself etc. but I'm not so mechanically inclined yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #17
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
great review man, ur truck sounds nice, good job on the vids too! hope u enjoy ur new exhaust.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Noticed faster throttle response and increased MPG with this?

I'm considering something like this if the MPG and throttle response both increase.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Noticed faster throttle response and increased MPG with this?

I'm considering something like this if the MPG and throttle response both increase.
Havent noticed much if any change in MPG, an no throttle response from what I can tell. I do feel that the AFE Pro Dry S drop in that I installed gave me some throttle pep...but I might be dreaming.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #20
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
Havent noticed much if any change in MPG, an no throttle response from what I can tell. I do feel that the AFE Pro Dry S drop in that I installed gave me some throttle pep...but I might be dreaming.
Oh....ok.

Yeah, I have the AFE Pro Dry filter as well and it did feel a bit peppier so you're probably not dreaming in the regard.