Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Weather Tech LampGard

Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
cspcrx is on a distinguished road
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
Weather Tech LampGard

I just tried installing these on our new 2009 PreRunner Sport. Here in AZ the sand, rocks and dirt in the air really damage headlights especially the plastic ones. I have had to recondition my cars headlights 3 times over the last 6 years as a result.

So, we though we would order these when we ordered our Weather Tech bug deflector (which fit great by the way). We followed the instructions to the tee. An hour and a half later they still do not fit well. The problem is where they curve around to the turn signals and up near the hood. If you look at your headlight you will see there are a lot of curves occuring there. We used a hair dryer, per instructions, and it helps but you still end up with bulges and wrinkles in the material. I was able to get most of them out. But I have concers that they will lift over time.

If I was to do it again I would cut some of the material off right there. Much like if you were doing upholstery around curves("V" cuts). This would fix this problem. The rest of the fit is great it is just this one area that creates all of the problems. Material is very thick and must really be warmed to work with.

Now we will see how they hold up.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Pics, Please.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
I will take some this evening and post them. Was up to late trying to get them to fit right.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
Pics
http://members.cox.net/azdaisy/P9044249.JPG
http://members.cox.net/azdaisy/P9044250.JPG
Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I can see how that would bug ya. Can you trim it with a razor blade?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
Thats my plan but I have reached out to WeatherTech this morning and am waiting on a call back. I exlained to them what they are doing and that the extra material needs to be cut. The gal said their computer system was down and needed to call me back. She repeated that they must be heated up and really pressed hard. I explained we had done that twice. They stay but have a fold of extra material which is causing them to lift again in the exact same spot on both lenses. I will let you know what they say.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
They phoned back and said ok to cut them as much as needed to make them fit correctly. They also said if I was still not happy with them I could send them back for a refund.
Thats some A+ customer service in my eyes.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
When i originally bought my truck i had the whole front end covered in the clearbra including the headlights. I dont know what kind they used but because of the additional layer and how thick it was, my headlights formed hairline cracks throughout the headlight. I ended up taking it back and got a new set of headlights covered through insurance.

if youre here in AZ you should have full glass coverage which typically includes coverage for any safety plastics on a vehicle I.e. headlights turn signals and tails.

If your insurance company coveres it you may as well just get a new set of headlights every few years through the insurance. and it files as a comprehensive claim so your rates do not increase.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip. I do have full coverage and like most in AZ seem to have to get a new windshield every year or so due to cracks caused by rocks. Never considered headlights.
So far they are staying in place and not lifting after trimming. But I will see in the AM if they are truely sticking.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
050309TRDSport is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: John
050309TRDSport's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight vs. the Rock

This weekend I was cleaning up the exterior after a wash and I found something disturbing. My right headlight is cracked down the middle from a rock or something. I inspected the surrounding area and there was no other damage. I will have to get pictures later to show everybody. I hate the fact that I couldn't get pictures fast enough to post on TW without something going wrong. I am going to call the insurance company to see if it covered under Arizona's full safety glass coverage. I will post later to give an update and pics. The Rock may have won the battle but the headlight will win the war.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if headlights are considered safety glass & keep one thing in mind with glass repair/replacement. Even if you just have ins pay for rock chip to save them from having to replace the whole windshield, it'll show up on your record as a claim. I was very happy to let them know what I thought about that concept & told them I would just let it ruin the whole windshield & let them pay for that next time so the claim on my record would be worth having there to be penalized for in the future.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Are the Weather Tech headlight protectors the ones made by XPel? I installed them on my truck, and on my Dad's Subaru. They are a pita to install, you really have to take your time and heat em up to where you almost melt them on...especially around the curves. Alot of defects after installation go away over time, like small bubbles and moister from useing the spray bottle during the install. Some of that wrinkle you have will disappear with the heat of the sun...but what I'd recommend is heating it up in that area and molding it more if you can. I had the same issue on one of my lights, and between going over it more and sitting out on hot days, the defective spot is hardy noticeable now.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
cspcrx's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if they are made by XPel. I spent hours on them. Just would not make the bend. You also have to watch not to over heat them as they will melt.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
What helped alot with mine was leaving the backing on the protector at the corner where it curves around the turn signal. I was then able to "pull" it around the bend, then removed the small piece of backing at the last minute. I used a heat gun...had to be real careful! One thing I learned was to not spend too much time trying to work the small bubbles and moister out...they will disappear over time.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is a thread revival, but how have these held up over the years?

Any issues with the headlights? Did the fit improve over time? The pics don't seem to work for me, so I'm not sure how bad they looked when first installed.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future02Duck has a brilliant future

02Duck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
I know this is a thread revival, but how have these held up over the years?

Any issues with the headlights? Did the fit improve over time? The pics don't seem to work for me, so I'm not sure how bad they looked when first installed.

I was also curious about how they have held up. I have a set but haven't installed them yet.