Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Review - OnGoing Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
I was looking at the Revo too, but tire rack has these tires called General AT2
I had general when i had my altima, they were nice. so I might give them a try when my BFG rugged trail dies, They are only like $116 a tire
I looked at Generals before buying my Silent Armors. Put the BFGs next to them and they look very comparable and a heck of a price. Its a heavy tire too. Check that out. I went with the Silent Armors and have almost 15k on them now. Pretty satisfied with them in all conditions but am mounting studded snows this winter. Too much black ice where I live compared to past seasons. Still overall a great tire and would buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I just got a price from a local Firestone for the Destination AT's and they're $114 each tire,then the valve, mount, balance. Etc.

Anyone want a set of my factory tires that have less than 200 miles and all whiskers on them for $150? No kidding. I'll use this to finance the Firestones. Can't get a equivalent new tire for $37.50 anywhere in the world.

I live near Lakewood, CA.

I ended up getting the Revo's and am very happy.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #23
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
my mom has silent armors on her jeep...how do they compare against the BF AT?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #24
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I hate to be the "me too" guy, but I had the same great experience with the Silent Armors.

I replaced the stock tires after 10k miles because their stellar performance. The Silent Armors were a night-and-day difference. They worked great for me on dry pavement, in loose sand, and in all kinds of snow. Treadwear was even and predictable, and the tires never went out-of-round in the 40k miles I used them.

I drive hard and tend to wear out tires pretty fast. These things held up nicely.
Me Too, I traded my Dakota in, and my old S/As had a little over 40k on them. Although, they started being scary dangerous about 35k. For the first 30k, these tires could not be beat on anything on the road. I don't think that I ever hydroplanned for during the first 30k. They were simply awesome on road tires with some off road capabilites for the first 30k.

Offroading wasn't really what I expected in a bad way. The mud shedding ability was pretty much poor, but on dry dirt and hardpack the tires were good.

All and all, I would by them again but I'll be trying Revos or BFGs first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Is that a 60,000 mile tire?.....Also, do you think they are louder or quieter than the stock tires?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd0311 View Post
It's a 50k tire... I find the noise to be about the same as stock.
From my driving habits and experience, these tires will not last to 50 or 60k. Not even a chance, sorry!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 AM   #25
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ese tires are doing. When looking to replace the crap tires that are the Rugged Trails only two choices came up, either the BFG AT or the Revos. These two tires have the Taco forums cornered.
This is not just Taco forums, it's everyone. Just looked up the total miles reported on Tirerack:

Goodyear SA = 4,626,479
BS Dueler Revo = 62,898,667
BFG AT KO = 64,234,401
Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear silent armor on on ALL Hummer H2s now
Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I ended up getting the Revo's and am very happy.

If I had been able to find the Revo's I would have probably bought those.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
silent armours are truly a great tires for off-road and have great road manners. I a set on my 3/4 ton diesel and i could go anywhere in those. In the field not one flaw never even had to put in 4x4
Attached Thumbnails
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Review - OnGoing Thread-img_0416.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Flaadog is on a distinguished road

Flaadog's Tacoma Gallery
I have 265/75 R16's. I have really enjoyed this tire so far. Got them last Feb and have put about 10K miles on them. I had BFG AT's on before, but they were there when I bought the truck. I wore them out pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxyota View Post
Sears yesterday told me $815 installed.

I like those, but I also like the Firestone Destination AT. It's a 50,000 tire & affordable. Tirerack rates them VERY high.

That's about what I paid for mine at Discount Tire. Also known as Americas Tire in California. I love that freaking place. As I called around I quickly discovered that this tire is/was hard to find. Maybe that's changed by now. I had heard that they were starting to ramp things up with this tire and get some new sizes out.

Quote:
It's a 50k tire... I find the noise to be about the same as stock.
I wouldn't know, but they are much more quite than the BFG AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post
my mom has silent armors on her jeep...how do they compare against the BF AT?
So far the biggest difference I have noticed is on road. The GSA does much better so far. The grip on dry surface is great, and on wet it far exceeds the BFG. It is also a much smoother ride. Off road I have found them to be some what similar. Except that the GSA definitely does better in snow but worse in mud. Never put the BFG's in sand but the GSA's did great.

One big negative, that I am fairly certain will occur, is that the GSA will wear much faster than the BFG. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. So far they are doing pretty good. But time will tell. I have no idea what I will get next time, but hopefully that is a ways off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Goodyear silent armor on on ALL Hummer H2s now
Interesting. I wonder how that will effect the "image" of the tire. Or that car?

As of right now I would buy this tire again, and recommend it. But we'll see how the wear goes. And I am about to take the truck to Montana for a month, so hopefully I will really put these things to the test. I expect them to do great. We'll see.