1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My review on the Python 991 Alarm/Remote Start.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by stang88, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    stang88

stang88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    i posted this in the alarm/video section too...

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/products/product.aspx?ProductID=619

i just installed one of these in my 2009 dc taco. Since i am an authorized installer, dei sent me one for free to try out and demo for customers.

I had an autopage rs 727 in before.. both are excellent products.. but here is where the python 991 soars above the autopage:

Mile long range.. yes its true.. actually 1.2 miles.. i about fell over that it actually goes that far.
    color background.. you can change the illumination which is a nice little added feature.
    remote looks more professional.
    remote charges by mini usb and only needs to be charged once a year.. just dont lose the charger..lol

shows the interior temp as the vehicle is warming up.. nice feature so you can tell if 11 min is long enough or if it needs to run longer.

you can adjust the shock sensor from the remote.

now to the installation.. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW. its a very complex system and not for a beginner..

no more drilling a hole for a led or hiding the valet button.. both of those are on the antenna now.

Any questions feel free to ask..

oh.. you can find this alarm and its viper brother.. on ebay for around $250. but then you dont get the lifetime warranty.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    AZFizik

AZFizik Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    How was the install? I put alot of Code kits in where the wiring came out at weird angles and generally didn't fit very nicely. And which unit did you use for the key bypass?

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    stang88

stang88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    install went perfect... i installed one of these last week and loved it.. so i called dei and they sent me one.. i had an autopage in there before so i just kep my old bypass module " pkall". the range is so kick ass... just as you would expect from a dei product.. perfect....

4. Oct 10, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    leo858

leo858 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, Light Racing UCA's, Grille Guard, OEM Side steps, Pop & Lock Tailgate, Shorty Antenna, TRD So-Cal bedside decal, TRD cat back exhaust
    Will this work on a manual transmission?

5. Jan 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    I have a python 574 alarm/remote start (same as the 991, but the newer version)....I've pretty much got most of the wiring done except for a few on the 10 pin remote start connector that I'm not 100% sure on.....I hope someone can help.

The 10 Pin connector has:
    violet - Starter output -------- connect to starter 1 (green/black) on the truck?????
    green - Starter input -------- connect to starter 2 (black/white) ????????
    pink/white - (30)flex relay output(car side of ign, acc or starter wire) -------- connect to Ign 2 (blue/yellow)???????
    pink/black - (87a)flex relay input(car side of ign, acc or starter wire) ------- ???????
    OR
    do I cut the starter 1 (green/black) wire and connect the modules violet wire to the truck side and the green wire to the ignition side?????
    and cut the Ign 2 (blue/yellow) and connect the pink/white wire to the truck side and the pink/black wire to the ignition side??????

6. Jan 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    Also the door trigger input....if i connect this to the left front trigger (green/yellow) wire, I'm only monitoring the one door, correct.
    Is there a common wire that all doors will trigger??

7. Jan 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    2K6 Taco

2K6 Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport D-Cab LG Bed
    Ijust got this system installed. I was wondering if the shock sensor is built in the antenna or the brain? I have the remote sensitivity to the highest (15) and kick the shit out of my front driver wheel and nothing. If i bang on the windshield lightly it will 'warn away'

8. Jan 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Both Python 991 and 574 have external shock sensors that can be adjusted for sensitivity.....you'll just have to locate the sensor and there is an orange adjustment screw on the side

9. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    2K6 Taco

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    They are built in. I just dont kno if its in the brain or the control center

10. Jan 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    ok.....i just installed myself the python 574 (which is the newer version of the 991) and I have an external shock sensor.....i know exactly where the shock sensor is located.....i don't know if the 991 is exactly the same, if the 574 was changed, then i don't know....i do have the install manual for the 991 at home, don't have access to it for a few hours.....i can let you know what it says later

11. Jan 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    You are right 2K6 Taco, the Python 991 has the shock sensor built into the main unit (the brain)....they also have an install note on it : "In many vehicles, fastening the main unit (the brain) to a steering column or screwing it to metal will result in poor sensitivity, especially at the rear of the vehicle."

hope that helps, I would take it back to where you got it installed and ask them where they mounted the brain

12. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    2K6 Taco

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    My brain is behind the driver side fuse box. Not strap/screwed to anything.

13. Jan 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I have this as well. Love it. especially the remote start option.

14. Jan 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    could be the reason why there isn't much sensitivity......it's not feeling the vibrations or shake from the truck

15. Jan 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, remote start optionis the bomb!!!! I find myself remote starting the truck way too often now

16. Jan 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Is there a hood pin option for this unit? my previous dei systems always had a hood pin that would shut the vehicle off if you remote started it and opened the hood. Or it would make the alarm go off if you opened the hood.

17. Jan 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if the 991 model came with a hood pin, but it does have a hood pin input....install manual shows it as a gray wire. The 574 model does have a hood pin included and it does both, shut off the vehicle if its running and sets off the alarm (if the vehicle is armed) when the hood is opened.

18. Mar 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Cruzs2013SR5

Cruzs2013SR5 Cruzito

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    OAK HARBOR, WA
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4X4 TEXAS EDITION
    Retrax Tonneau Cover Fox 2.5 Coilovers F/B JVC system with amp Power Block for external lights. PoP N Lock (electric) Python Alarm w/Remote Start
    Anyone know if the wiring is the same for a 2013 Tacoma DCSB. I will be buying the Python 574 and installing myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top