1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review - Access Roll-up tonneau

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tsilliker, Jan 25, 2008.

1. May 31, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    TOOLMAKER

TOOLMAKER Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACCESS CAB SR5 OFF ROAD PKG
    Great write up. I wish I would have seen this before I bought the Extang "RT" garbage that's on my truck now. It took 5 weeks to get, leaks like hell, can't get enough tension on it to prevent water forming puddles or flapping in the wind and after only 3 months the velcro slips in the track? Pure junk. I contacted my distributor and got an "RGA" number for it and it's going back this week. As soon as the credit is issued I'll be getting the Access.

2. Jun 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    TOOLMAKER

TOOLMAKER Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2010 ACCESS CAB SR5 OFF ROAD PKG
    Just installed my Access tonneau cover last night. Fantastic. I just consider myself lucky I didn't get stuck with that POS I had. Check Meyer distributing for prices. I think I paid $325.00 for it plus maybe $10.00-$12.00 freight. Ask for Matt.

3. Jun 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
    Just ordered Access lite ride from truckalterations.com last night. $280 cant beat that price, just cant wait to get it.

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    dgr540

dgr540 I've got the FUNK

Member:
    Friendswood, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Wrangler Unlimited
    XDs Trail grappler 35x12.5x18 Winch 8K lbs Front bumper 4in Lift
    Installed it last night and it is raining today. Glad to say I do not see water inside bed.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    TommyD

TommyD Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC Sport 4x4 SB
    Eibach coils, 5100's, 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17
    Had the Access rollup for a month and it leaks like crazy in the corners. Am I the only one that's had this problem? I was thinking of putting foam weatherstripping to tighten it up a bit but not sure if anybody has fixed this problem yet.

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Did your Access roll up come with the foam weatherstripping? My Access LE did and there is no leakage.

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    TommyD

TommyD Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC Sport 4x4 SB
    Eibach coils, 5100's, 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17
    interesting. no it did not. i'll try it

8. Aug 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    I am looking to purchase the Access LE in the next couple of days but I have a question I'm suree someone can easily answer for me.

I have a 2009 Prerunner Dual Cab (5' plastic bed). I fully understand the mounting instructions but what I can't tell is what is the width of the truck bed now with the new cover rails installed?

Also, the LE comes with only a few extra features compared to the regular Access cover. Are those extras worth the cost? (Extras: Clamps?, Easier Latch, and Tailgate Seal) Maybe there is more to the LE version than I know?

Thanks,
    Joe

9. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    If you mean the width between the rail if you have a large box standing up then you might lose 2 inches.

The only feature i did not install was the bottom portion of the tailgate seal. I figured it was worthless becausse I actually haul mulch, dirt and stone.

Other than that the LE is a terrific cover and I recommend it. Give Luke at Truck Alterations a call. Beat the best price I could find on the internet by $100.00.

10. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Yes, I was asking about the max width reduction. So 2" is all you lose, I can easily live with that.

I'm still not cetain about if the LE version comes with some better parts vs. the regular Access. There is a $45.00 difference between the Access and the Access LE. The Access Trail Seal Tailgate Seal is $20.00. Although the savings is only $25.00 if I buy the the Access and the Tail Gate Seal seperately, the question is, is it worth it? Its not a question of being cheap, it's a question of if there is a quality, sealing, or feature difference between the two products?

I appreciate the comments,
    Joe

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Joe:
    The release latch is different as well, at least I think it is,

All in all the cover has met all of my expatations and continues to be nice and tight when in place. I have not had to adjust the tensioner at all after 8 months of ownership.

Installation is doeable by one but having an extra set of hands to install the rails would be nice. Because the Tacoma already has side rails the Access LE does not come with clamps but uses spacers and longer bolts to attach to the existing mounts used by the stock rails which is why an extra set of hands is well handy, pun intended. Trying to affix both rails the spacer and the bolt can be trickey for one person.

I would also suggest a wipedown with 303 Aerospace Protectant after every other wash. Keeps it clean and looking nice.

12. Aug 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I've got a 13 year old daughter who want's my truck when she turns 16, and want's to turn it Pink :eek: But she will help me install the cover, even if she is having wishful thoughts of getting my new truck. I do understand the latch is a little different between the regular and LE version, but if the quality is the same (sturdy, secure (won't fly away), and the cover is the same quality) then I don't see the need to buy the LE version.

EDIT: So I purchased the LE cover for one reason alone. The latches work automatically for both sides vice the regular cover only the left latch is spring loaded. The right side is manual. Since you need (or should) latch the right side before driving, why put up with the hastle of doing it manually.

Installation was a breeze (no help from my daughter). So far the plastic spacers are holding up but I'm looking into using aluminum square tubing as a spacer that runs the length of the bars. I'm only conserned about the strength of the tie downs.

The cover looks very nice and I did have to loosen the tension knows three full turns. As for water tightness, there are some gaps under the plastic bed rail covers which will let water in easily. I'll seal those areas with some good quality silicon sealer from the inside of the bed. I haven't installed the tailgate seals yet but that should be this weekend, after it stops raining. I also installed a Pop & Lock and it works great, but it looks cheap. So long as it keeps working, I'll be happy.

-Joe

13. Aug 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    blawrie

blawrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anyone know where Luke or Kyle are from Truck Alterations are? I placed an order Monday morning and was emailed my confirmation receipt like a minute after placing the order. But I haven't heard anything about it being shipped. I tried emailing and calling them today and I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone. Thanks for any advice.

14. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    When I placed my order, they did not ship right away nor did they try to contact me but my CC info was not available to them even though I entered it. I had to write an email and then call them with the CC info. I got my cover a few days later. I would try to call again. Maybe they had the day off ? Just a guess.

15. Aug 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    blawrie

blawrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Received my cover in 3 days!!! Excellent price and speed of service through Truck Alterations. Highly recommended!!!

16. Aug 29, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I think you will enjoy your cover, I am already. The only fear I have is someone coming through a cutting it just to be a vandal.

The only part I found difficult during the installation was attaching the adjusters to the side rails. It was a difficult and tight fit. The rest of it was easy.

-Joe

Products Discussed in

To Top