1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review - Access Roll-up tonneau

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tsilliker, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Jan 25, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    tsilliker

tsilliker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    Since someone just put out a review of the Top Dawg, I thought I would post a few comments about my new tonneau and why I like it.

I looked at a lot of covers, including rigid designs like the Top Dawg. I needed access to the whole bed for loading motorcycles. While some rigid designs are removable (with varying degrees of effort), you are left with the problem of stowing the cover somewhere while driving the truck.

I can't imagine how I would stow the Top Dawg cover in the bed alongside a strapped down motorcycle in a way that would not catch wind, and would not get that thin aluminum dinged by foot pegs, exhaust, dirt bike skid plate, or some other part of the motorcycles I carry.

A roll-up seemed like the perfect solution. When I bought the truck, I had the dealer install a tonneau as part of the deal. It was a Black Max snap up design. This was my first pickup so I had no prior experience and the cover seemed OK - that is until the first time I tried to resnap it on a cold day.

For two years, that cover lived on the back of my truck all rolled up because it was too much work to resnap it. I needed something different.

I looked at a design that was rigid, made from slats, that rolled into a box at the front. But the box was too big and didn't allow the front wheel of the motorcycle to rest on the front of the pickup bed. The tonneau enclosure pushed the bike back about a foot. Not ideal.

Then I discovered the Access roll-up cover from Agri-Cover. Pics and a video are available on the mfg website. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured, both deployed and in the roll up position.

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/

This is a soft tonneau with integral rods that roll up with the cover. The sides are closed by hook and loop (Velcro).

On the Taco, the side rails are mounted by first removing the sliding rails, and bolting the cover side rails underneath the sliding rails. Action of the sliding D-rings is maintained.

The angled sides provide mechanical advantage, giving the Velcro extra bite. A lever action at the rear of the cover by the tailgate pulls the cover closed tight with little needed effort, providing a perfectly flat cover that moves very little when driving.

What I like:

No more having to remove and stow supporting rods as with the snap-on cover.

The integral rods mean the rolled up cover maintains a horizontal form when rolled up instead of sagging in the middle. It also rolls up into a fairly compact package. Nice.

It rolls up and deploys back over the bed quickly. Running your hand down one side then the other seals the Velcro tight.

They offer a tailgate seal but the Taco seals well without it. I put luggage in the back for a 1200 mile winter trip and everything stayed clean and dry.

The cover doesn't have a keyed lock. A locking tailgate would be required for ultimate security. However, I like the ability to open the tailgate without lifting the cover.

The cover has tension adjusters to tighten or loosen the cover based on season and possible future stretch. They operate by moving the front of the cover (by the cab) fore and aft with screw type wheels.

I can unroll, load a bike (using the new D-rings I installed in the front floor), drive, unload, and cover up easily. Very slick. I have had the cover since early December (almost two months of winter usage) and am extremely happy with it. I have performed the roll-up and deploy procedure about five times so far and the cover rolls out tight and remains calm on the highway.

Recommended. :thumbsup:

2. Jan 25, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Excellent review, I really appreciate it. I've always liked the look of tonneaus but hated the same things you did. I might have to pick one up once the tax refund comes in.

3. Jan 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    Thanks, Joe!

Should have mentioned: The cover was about $525 installed.

4. Jan 25, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Was that professionally installed or did you do it youself?

5. Jan 25, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    mrbjr

mrbjr Active Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust,TRD Sport seat covers, Tube steps,Access Limited Bed Cover,WeatherTech floor mats, Billet Grill,AFE CAI,8"Shorty Antenna,ScanGaugeII.,5100s f/set @ .85, Console Safe.., Pirelli ATR's..,RoadMaster active suspension
    I have the Access LE, took my son and myself about 30 minutes to install. Looks and worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Great review....

6. Jan 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM
    marvin02

marvin02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab SR5 - Black
    Top Dawg Folding Tonneau Cover, DIY Bed Light, Aux. Input for MP3 Player, OEM Bed Mat
    tsilliker,

Nice write-up. This is exactly what the forum needs - shared information and opinions. It makes finding the right accessories for our trucks much easier.

7. Jan 26, 2008 at 5:30 AM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I just put mine on last night. It looks great but I am confused on one thing. Where the cover meets the tailgate there is a 3/8" gap. Is the cover supposed to be tight to the top of the tailgate? I loosened all of the bolts and tried to get the rails to sit down a little bit more, but they wouldn't go down any further.

8. Jan 26, 2008 at 7:07 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    On mine, a flap of material hangs below the latching bar that fills the gap. If you open the tailgate, you will feel this flap hanging below. I hope this helps!

9. Jan 26, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    I let the dealer install it.

10. Jan 26, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    BlueTaco

BlueTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    does this tonneu fit properly with the bed liner?

11. Jan 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    The brackets were designed for the Taco. Fit is snug. Looks and works great, and it seals well. Here is a pic of the cover on my truck:

[​IMG]

12. Jan 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    www.truckalterations.com sells the cover for about $408 with free shipping. The price is possibly lower than this. They don't list the sale price on the net.

13. Feb 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    BigRock76

BigRock76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4, SR5, DC long bed
    08 - switched to 4x4 long bed, no mods yet 07 - TRD front bumper, TSB suspension, 3" front level by ReadyLift, bed mat, Truxedo soft tonneau cover. Westin tube steps, extra D-rings
    Can you still adjust the stock rail tiedowns use them with a strap hook, or does the cover frame stick too far into the bed forcing you to use bed floor tiedowns only?

Great review!

14. Feb 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    My opinion may be a bit biased as my good friend is an ACI dealer, but I have to agree. He has installed these on all his pickups. ACI is probibly best known in the semi trucking industry as the tarp leader, but they are hitting the pickup market as well.
    These are by far the most versitle, user friendly and strongest soft cover you can buy.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad. I get no kickbacks.

15. Feb 13, 2008 at 11:00 PM
    tsilliker

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Use of the sliding tie downs is maintained.

16. Feb 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I've had my cover on for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. The only thing I don't like is the corners aren't finished very well. I've looked at a few other covers on other trucks, not just the tacoma, and the corners on those covers are finished very well. Mine look like they couldn't figure out how to fold and stitch them to make it look professional. Maybe it has something to do with the bars at either end?

17. Feb 16, 2008 at 4:26 PM
    CCRT

CCRT Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 Indigo Ink
    Just picked my new truck up yesterday.

Installed the Access cover this morning and I'm very happy with the fit & finish.

Toyota stock rail tie downs are fully functional

18. Feb 17, 2008 at 6:33 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I have the Access LE on my truck since December as well. It is by far the best investment I have made for my truck. We hauled a full load of bags and gifts to New Mexico at Christmas. The entire bed was full through snow and sleet. Everything stayed dry. My next truck will have one too (probably a short bed Double Cab).

:thumbsup:

19. Oct 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    ROOKIE1

ROOKIE1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Walton , Ky
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    Nice review , Thanks .

What model was this one ?
    "I looked at a design that was rigid, made from slats, that rolled into a box at the front. "

20. Oct 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    I have a Access Literider on mine, couldnt be happier.

Products Discussed in

To Top