Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review - Access Roll-up tonneau

Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

tsilliker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to tsilliker
Thumbs up Review - Access Roll-up tonneau

Since someone just put out a review of the Top Dawg, I thought I would post a few comments about my new tonneau and why I like it.

I looked at a lot of covers, including rigid designs like the Top Dawg. I needed access to the whole bed for loading motorcycles. While some rigid designs are removable (with varying degrees of effort), you are left with the problem of stowing the cover somewhere while driving the truck.

I can't imagine how I would stow the Top Dawg cover in the bed alongside a strapped down motorcycle in a way that would not catch wind, and would not get that thin aluminum dinged by foot pegs, exhaust, dirt bike skid plate, or some other part of the motorcycles I carry.

A roll-up seemed like the perfect solution. When I bought the truck, I had the dealer install a tonneau as part of the deal. It was a Black Max snap up design. This was my first pickup so I had no prior experience and the cover seemed OK - that is until the first time I tried to resnap it on a cold day.

For two years, that cover lived on the back of my truck all rolled up because it was too much work to resnap it. I needed something different.

I looked at a design that was rigid, made from slats, that rolled into a box at the front. But the box was too big and didn't allow the front wheel of the motorcycle to rest on the front of the pickup bed. The tonneau enclosure pushed the bike back about a foot. Not ideal.

Then I discovered the Access roll-up cover from Agri-Cover. Pics and a video are available on the mfg website. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured, both deployed and in the roll up position.

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/p...s/category/C9/

This is a soft tonneau with integral rods that roll up with the cover. The sides are closed by hook and loop (Velcro).

On the Taco, the side rails are mounted by first removing the sliding rails, and bolting the cover side rails underneath the sliding rails. Action of the sliding D-rings is maintained.

The angled sides provide mechanical advantage, giving the Velcro extra bite. A lever action at the rear of the cover by the tailgate pulls the cover closed tight with little needed effort, providing a perfectly flat cover that moves very little when driving.

What I like:

No more having to remove and stow supporting rods as with the snap-on cover.

The integral rods mean the rolled up cover maintains a horizontal form when rolled up instead of sagging in the middle. It also rolls up into a fairly compact package. Nice.

It rolls up and deploys back over the bed quickly. Running your hand down one side then the other seals the Velcro tight.

They offer a tailgate seal but the Taco seals well without it. I put luggage in the back for a 1200 mile winter trip and everything stayed clean and dry.

The cover doesn't have a keyed lock. A locking tailgate would be required for ultimate security. However, I like the ability to open the tailgate without lifting the cover.

The cover has tension adjusters to tighten or loosen the cover based on season and possible future stretch. They operate by moving the front of the cover (by the cab) fore and aft with screw type wheels.

I can unroll, load a bike (using the new D-rings I installed in the front floor), drive, unload, and cover up easily. Very slick. I have had the cover since early December (almost two months of winter usage) and am extremely happy with it. I have performed the roll-up and deploy procedure about five times so far and the cover rolls out tight and remains calm on the highway.

Recommended.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent review, I really appreciate it. I've always liked the look of tonneaus but hated the same things you did. I might have to pick one up once the tax refund comes in.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, Joe!

Should have mentioned: The cover was about $525 installed.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Was that professionally installed or did you do it youself?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
mrbjr is on a distinguished road
mrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I have the Access LE, took my son and myself about 30 minutes to install. Looks and worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Great review....
Old 01-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
tsilliker,

Nice write-up. This is exactly what the forum needs - shared information and opinions. It makes finding the right accessories for our trucks much easier.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I just put mine on last night. It looks great but I am confused on one thing. Where the cover meets the tailgate there is a 3/8" gap. Is the cover supposed to be tight to the top of the tailgate? I loosened all of the bolts and tried to get the rails to sit down a little bit more, but they wouldn't go down any further.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #8

On mine, a flap of material hangs below the latching bar that fills the gap. If you open the tailgate, you will feel this flap hanging below. I hope this helps!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
Was that professionally installed or did you do it youself?
I let the dealer install it.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
does this tonneu fit properly with the bed liner?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #11

The brackets were designed for the Taco. Fit is snug. Looks and works great, and it seals well. Here is a pic of the cover on my truck:

Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
www.truckalterations.com sells the cover for about $408 with free shipping. The price is possibly lower than this. They don't list the sale price on the net.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #13
BigRock76 is on a distinguished road
BigRock76's Tacoma Gallery
Can you still adjust the stock rail tiedowns use them with a strap hook, or does the cover frame stick too far into the bed forcing you to use bed floor tiedowns only?

Great review!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion may be a bit biased as my good friend is an ACI dealer, but I have to agree. He has installed these on all his pickups. ACI is probibly best known in the semi trucking industry as the tarp leader, but they are hitting the pickup market as well.
These are by far the most versitle, user friendly and strongest soft cover you can buy.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad. I get no kickbacks.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my cover on for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. The only thing I don't like is the corners aren't finished very well. I've looked at a few other covers on other trucks, not just the tacoma, and the corners on those covers are finished very well. Mine look like they couldn't figure out how to fold and stitch them to make it look professional. Maybe it has something to do with the bars at either end?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
CCRT is on a distinguished road
CCRT's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked my new truck up yesterday.

Installed the Access cover this morning and I'm very happy with the fit & finish.

Toyota stock rail tie downs are fully functional
Old 02-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #18
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I have the Access LE on my truck since December as well. It is by far the best investment I have made for my truck. We hauled a full load of bags and gifts to New Mexico at Christmas. The entire bed was full through snow and sleet. Everything stayed dry. My next truck will have one too (probably a short bed Double Cab).

Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #19
ROOKIE1 will become famous soon enoughROOKIE1 will become famous soon enough
ROOKIE1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice review , Thanks .

What model was this one ?
"I looked at a design that was rigid, made from slats, that rolled into a box at the front. "
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
I have a Access Literider on mine, couldnt be happier.