LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

URD MAF Calibrator

Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #21
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Good question and I've been wondering that myself. I've heard that the DT headers don't affect the map too much. I would think that getting it tuned by someone is going to be pretty pricey. You could probably pick up an A-F ratio gauge and do a respectable job. Plus you will be prepared for future upgrades. Have you checked out this map sharing site? http://www.freewebs.com/mafmaps/
Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Prerunner02 is on a distinguished road

Prerunner02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Prerunner02 Send a message via Skype™ to Prerunner02
Too bad there aren't any maps for previous to 05. I just ordered a MAF calibrator from Underdog. I am worried now I will have toruble calibrating. As of now I am a complete noob in tuning.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumo420 View Post
i just bought a urd maf calibater, im running headers intake and exhaust, for me to get it tuned, would it be best to take it to the dyno, and would they help tune it over at the dyno shop?
I'm in your same boat I just got had headers put on soon cat back exhaust. except I can;t tune yet because I havenlt installed it and I can't find any damn instructions. I never got any with the MAF calibrator. I couldn't find any on the net or on splitsec.com or on the disc it comes with. I emailed urd begging for some damn instructions. I can't even use the software on my laptop because it's not compatable with wondows vista. So I hope some shop can do it for a reasonable price.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #24
pumo420 is on a distinguished road

pumo420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner02 View Post
I'm in your same boat I just got had headers put on soon cat back exhaust. except I can;t tune yet because I havenlt installed it and I can't find any damn instructions. I never got any with the MAF calibrator. I couldn't find any on the net or on splitsec.com or on the disc it comes with. I emailed urd begging for some damn instructions. I can't even use the software on my laptop because it's not compatable with wondows vista. So I hope some shop can do it for a reasonable price.

well on the first post theres a picture with the instructions on it. and the schematic that lsocoee first posted. you gotta splice into the ecu, or you could get the plug in play mod from urd http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?cPath=66_124. i emailed a dyno shop in fort myers, fl about getting my truck dynoed and having it tuned this is what i got as a response.

The Dyno is $ 150.00 per hour , 1 Hour minimum. Tuning is available at an additional $ 75.00 per hour for non computer cars.Tuning computer cars is usually $ 125.00 an hour but it all depends on the system in the car. Some we can do others we can t. Let me know the type of car,type of computer and what the major mods are. Also you can always bring your own tuner and just pay for the Dyno time.Thx Chris.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #25

Damn thats pricey. They'll sure make there money back quickly. The instructions on the first post are for a different truck I have an 02.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #26
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Any updates on this thread from those who have installed it and tuned it?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #27
Toyota_hic is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
Toyota_hic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toyota_hic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I wasn't talking about the removal. I was referring to you saying the programming was easy. Programming requires you know the AF ratio (correct?) which is not easily (or cheaply) determined.
sure it is...correct me if im wrong, but this is why newer truckes are equiped witha an o2sesor....if there isnt any oxogen coming out ur exaust ur burrning it all, so its running to rich and ur truck should throw a light....but u cant run not enough air because ur fuel is controlled by o2 sesor......u just wont get as much power.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
Banned
RealSouthernPride has a little shameless behaviour in the past
RealSouthernPride's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta stay in! sorry fella
Old 09-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #29
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
ive had mine in for almost a year now and had it tuned in march. running good, but need to go back and get it retuned when it gets cooler.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #30
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota_hic View Post
sure it is...correct me if im wrong, but this is why newer truckes are equiped witha an o2sesor....if there isnt any oxogen coming out ur exaust ur burrning it all, so its running to rich and ur truck should throw a light....but u cant run not enough air because ur fuel is controlled by o2 sesor......u just wont get as much power.
I've done a little bit of reading on it, but I've got some pretty big holes in my knowledge of the subject. The sensor will work when the engine is in closed loop. If you're operating at low rpms, the sensor will report back to your engine and adjust the AF ratio. When the engine is floored, it goes into open loop mode. The sensor is ignored in open loop. I believe that the MAF calibrator only affects your HP when you are in open loop.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #31
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe that the MAF calibrator only affects your HP when you are in open loop.
This is true!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #32
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
http://www.unichip.us/search_results...odel=453056952

This sounds like a easy solution over URD. From the sounds of it URD is a stand alone Computer more than a tuner device.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #33
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think some one at Unichip has been hitting the crack pipe too often. I have never heard of those gains with just a "programmer".
Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think some one at Unichip has been hitting the crack pipe too often. I have never heard of those gains with just a "programmer".
I agree. I think they might have used something in the fuel to gain those numbers.

I just shot them a email about it.

Lets see what they reply with.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #35
The reply to my email on how they got such gains. 40HP seriously.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You are reading the incorrect dyno sheet : the 40 HP is with Unichip , CAI & Catback , not just the Unichip by itself . The dyno sheet that reads 27HP is for just the Unichip on the otherwise stock truck.

Hope this helps.

Marinus Kuyl.
Unichip of North America Inc.
www.unichip.us <http://www.unichip.us/>
Toll free 1.866.643.7400
Local 1.503.640.7465
Fax 1.503.214.6444
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #36
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
The reply to my email on how they got such gains. 40HP seriously.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You are reading the incorrect dyno sheet : the 40 HP is with Unichip , CAI & Catback , not just the Unichip by itself . The dyno sheet that reads 27HP is for just the Unichip on the otherwise stock truck.

Hope this helps.

Marinus Kuyl.
Unichip of North America Inc.
www.unichip.us <http://www.unichip.us/>
Toll free 1.866.643.7400
Local 1.503.640.7465
Fax 1.503.214.6444
I read that, but it looked like it was 40 hp gain from a vehicle that had the intake and exhaust to a vehicle that had the chip, intake and exhaust.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #37
Quote:
I read that, but it looked like it was 40 hp gain from a vehicle that had the intake and exhaust to a vehicle that had the chip, intake and exhaust.
I know how to read the dyno sheet. The point is 40HP come on. try maybe 4. If there numbers are correct that means out trucks are WAY WAY out of tune.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
I know how to read the dyno sheet. The point is 40HP come on. try maybe 4. If there numbers are correct that means out trucks are WAY WAY out of tune.
X2!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #39
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
if you want ~40hp involving computer work and little bolt ons, look into the new X-1 setup by allen phillips racing. runs about 1200-1300 and gives you full control over timing, fuel, and many other things. also comes with a set of exhaust side cam gears, and a 170 degree t-stat.

in comparison, i spent about the same on my intake, headers, maf cal and exhaust, and come out with 241hp on a hot day in march.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Talking Just ordered my MAF Cal.

I will let you know what I think with out tune. And as soon as I have the time to tune I will post any improvements.

One quick ? Does anybody know of any autoparts stores that rent out the scan tools. ie... Autozone, Checkers, etc... Not planning on any mods for a long time, so renting is more feasable than purchasing at the
moment...

Thanks.

Products Discussed in this Thread