Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

URD MAF Calibrator

Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #41
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
most scan tools requires that you install an 02 sensor. It is not the sort of thing that is just a temp install.

I'd just run it like URD has it programmed until you add on some more mods.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #42
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jaxchrisfla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jaxchrisfla Send a message via Yahoo to jaxchrisfla
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
I will let you know what I think with out tune. And as soon as I have the time to tune I will post any improvements.

One quick ? Does anybody know of any autoparts stores that rent out the scan tools. ie... Autozone, Checkers, etc... Not planning on any mods for a long time, so renting is more feasable than purchasing at the
moment...

Thanks.
buy a scangague II and it will bring great peace of mind. it will give you open and closed loop, mph, rpms, intake temps, water temps, and many many other things including gas mileage tracker. costs around 150, and well worth it.

but im not sure it will provide everything needed for tuning closed loop fuel trims. i know it has short and long terms, but i think there is something else you need.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #43
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post
buy a scangague II and it will bring great peace of mind. it will give you open and closed loop, mph, rpms, intake temps, water temps, and many many other things including gas mileage tracker. costs around 150, and well worth it.

but im not sure it will provide everything needed for tuning closed loop fuel trims. i know it has short and long terms, but i think there is something else you need.
to tune it, you need to get the A/F ratio. The scan gauge will not provide that.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #44
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
most scan tools requires that you install an 02 sensor. It is not the sort of thing that is just a temp install.

I'd just run it like URD has it programmed until you add on some more mods.
One more question,

So if I just plug it in as tuned by the boys at URD, would or should I feel a diff @ WOT???

Just wondering if there is a noticeable gain to feel, since I dropped couple hundred bones.

Im thinking keep it at the stock MAP program, being that my True Flow intake mimic's more of the stock intake set up, rather than the URD TCAI.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One more question,

So if I just plug it in as tuned by the boys at URD, would or should I feel a diff @ WOT???.
At WOT your engine goes into "Open loop". So, No, no difference in WOT applications.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #46
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
At WOT your engine goes into "Open loop". So, No, no difference in WOT applications.
Ok? Now I'm confused... All this time I was under the impression that the MAF Cali was designed to effect open loop. So where do you see the effects of this Mod
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #47
jaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaxchrisfla is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Ok? Now I'm confused... All this time I was under the impression that the MAF Cali was designed to effect open loop. So where do you see the effects of this Mod

The maf cal is designed to adjust fuel trims when in open loop. as the computer does not read the senors in order to adjust the air fuel ratio as it does in closed loop. you will be able to change the trims in the different voltage ranges to smooth out the afr and make for more power, and/or better mpg. you can tune closed loop just a little, but the computer will always pull it back to 14.7 in closed loop
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #48
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxchrisfla View Post
The maf cal is designed to adjust fuel trims when in open loop. as the computer does not read the senors in order to adjust the air fuel ratio as it does in closed loop. you will be able to change the trims in the different voltage ranges to smooth out the afr and make for more power, and/or better mpg. you can tune closed loop just a little, but the computer will always pull it back to 14.7 in closed loop
I stand corected. I thought its tuning was limited to closed loop, and not for open loop.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #49
Enjoying my addiction

Thanks for the clarification fella's...

Well, hope I will enjoy the gains
Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #50
BullKnob is on a distinguished road
BullKnob's Tacoma Gallery
So does this Calibrator improve mpg's with the map that URD programs it to or do I need to need to adjust for that. And what the hell is this open or closed loop talk I am new to this whole thing,
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #51
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullKnob View Post
So does this Calibrator improve mpg's with the map that URD programs it to or do I need to need to adjust for that. And what the hell is this open or closed loop talk I am new to this whole thing,
in short, open loop is when you floor it and closed loop is when you don't. Closed loop (also know as a feedback loop) monitors your exhaust and adjusts your AF ratio continuously. When you floor it, your ECU quits monitoring it and dumps a bunch of gas in there. The calibrator adjusts the AF ratio when the engine goes into open loop.

As for your MPG, the calibrator should not affect your efficiency much because you should be spending most of your time in the closed loop. To maximize your MPG, you should be spending ALL of your time in the closed loop.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #52
Enjoying my addiction

Thumbs up Installed Today...

No BS... w/just the preset MAP I can tell the Diff... Pulls very hard throught the RPM band in 1st-4th. I test drove before & after on the same road. W/MAF installed... " I felt like it was time to call quits." Definately cought some attention. I have the plug and play, so I can do a before and after track time later in the future. But besides that, I just want to properly tune this baby and see what the max gains are

Do buy, URD Rocks...

To Gadget and all the fellas @ URD, thanks for the great CS...

Laters.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #53
Quote:
No BS... w/just the preset MAP I can tell the Diff... Pulls very hard throught the RPM band in 1st-4th. I test drove before & after on the same road. W/MAF installed... " I felt like it was time to call quits." Definately cought some attention. I have the plug and play, so I can do a before and after track time later in the future. But besides that, I just want to properly tune this baby and see what the max gains are

Do buy, URD Rocks...

To Gadget and all the fellas @ URD, thanks for the great CS...

Laters.

you dont have to unplug it to return it to stock. go into the software, save the current tune, and then select all on the fuel table, and make them all 10. it will make the calibrator neutral, and not noticeable to the ecu.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #55
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
good luck. It isn't that hard to do it correct, but it is easy to screw up.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #56
SMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant futureSMG26 has a brilliant future
Name: Steve
SMG26's Tacoma Gallery
Maf cal

I had some questions about the MAF cal before a buy one. How hard is it to install? Is there any soldering involved? I really do not want to shell out the 300 price for the plug n play harness. Also is the power gain really that noticed? And can gadget pre tune it for me since I am not to good with computers?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #57
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
for the price ,it is worth every penny. Installed mine about 4 months ago, and really love it. Turns heads every time I floor it.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #58
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG26 View Post
I had some questions about the MAF cal before a buy one. How hard is it to install? Is there any soldering involved? I really do not want to shell out the 300 price for the plug n play harness. Also is the power gain really that noticed? And can gadget pre tune it for me since I am not to good with computers?
there is soldering involved only if you want the connections to be the best.

the hardest part is getting to some of the wires to solder.

i had mine preloaded with the volant and stock exhaust config.
noticing a little difference