Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

All Pro rear plate bumper and side plates review

Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro rear plate bumper and side plates review

I purchased my bumper through the group buy All Pro held a couple months ago and overall I've been pleased with my purchase. The bumper certainly looks pretty tough when you find it sitting on your doorstep and even tougher once its painted and mounted on the truck. Construction is 1/8" laser cut and MIG welded steel, with 1/4" mounting plates. Fitment was good; it lined up well with the factory body lines and all of the mounting locations to my satisfaction. It added a significant amount of clearance to the rear of my truck and a tough, off road look as well. I now going to feel sorry for the little Honda Civic that finds it cant stop and runs into me in the snow. If I have any gripes about it, it would be the wimpy looking D-shackle mounts made out of 1/4" steel w/ tube punched through. I would have liked to see at least 1/2" thick plate, however I can say that I've pulled off them a few times and they've held just fine... just dont pull from an angle to keep them from bending.

I'd give the plate bumper a 4.5/5 rating.

I also ordered the wrap around side plates that protect the rear rocker panels of the truck. These parts are quite beefy at 3/16" thick and laser cut. They took a fair amount of persuading and muscling to get them into place and the bolt holes on the braces did not line up very well. The mounting bolt holes through the flange on the rear bumper and these were also very tight quarters and wouldnt allow the use of washers on both sides as they were intended. Further gripes I had included some really horrible looking welds on the brace pieces, and how I can push on the top of the wrap plates and touch my bedside... surely a bump on a tree stump or rock at any height above the bottom 1/3 is going to inflict damage to the side of the truck. Also, I was 2 bolts short in the hardware packet....

I'd give the side wrap-arounds a 3/5 rating.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking ride! that bumper looks good.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
very nice looking!!! i would have to agree with you on the d-shackle mounts...they look horrible with that tubing...what happened to your headache rack and diamond plate bedside caps..they were sweet looking!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexForbesR6 View Post
...what happened to your headache rack and diamond plate bedside caps..they were sweet looking!!!
Well, its been on the truck since about a month after I bought it 2 1/2 yrs ago so I decided to take if off for the winter to see what the truck looks like without it as I only use it for work in the spring/summer... Kinda like how it looks with it off actually. I think I may paint it all black when I put it back on.. still not quite sure.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
looks awesome. agree about the shackle points. do they make the wrap around side plates already built into the bumper?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Nice post,I would like to see how them sides would stand up to a tree or rock.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
great review
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the factory hitch?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Is that the factory hitch?
Nope, thats a hitch that i've been building to work with the bumper with strength, clearance and easy access being my key design criteria. Its not quite finished, once it is finished I will have more detailed pics of it in my build thread.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
I thought the bumper looked fine . however I am a bit disapointed that 2 of the 4 hitch mounting bolt holes dont line up with the OEM bolt holes in the frame. so drilling is in order if you want to use a similar size bolt as the rest of the bumper mounting hardware.

the lighted license plate frame is too tall and hangs below and above the bumper and gets its ground through the bumper (one wire system) so if the mounting hardware gets loose the light goes out. which is ok because you will likely rip it off the bumper the first time you scrape over a rock.

do yourself a favor and pass on the license plate frame. and you may need to take a torch to the hitch mounting brackets if you want to use OEM mounting holes and hardware.

Relentless taco, did you have to remove the bumper to install the side panels ?
good info on some of the other All Pro accessories, Tim After reading what you said, it makes me even more glad that i decided to build my
own hitch. I used the 2 threaded factory holes in the bottom of the frame rails, and then used even larger grade 8 hardware to hit 2 more mounting points on either side. I still plan on adding another additional bracket to the front of my hitch and drilling one hole in the frame on each side as well... I want beef so I can still tow large/heavy loads with confidence.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
my 2 cents: buy it with the side covers

it looks retarded without them as the bumper is like 1.5in wider on each side.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, now paint the front bumper to match
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i want that
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Looks good, now paint the front bumper to match
Tis the plan Just want to do a couple of last things to it before paint... like cutting in some recessed light mounts and cleaning up some welds and stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I purchased my bumper through the group buy All Pro held a couple months ago and overall I've been pleased with my purchase. The bumper certainly looks pretty tough when you find it sitting on your doorstep and even tougher once its painted and mounted on the truck. Construction is 1/8" laser cut and MIG welded steel, with 1/4" mounting plates. Fitment was good; it lined up well with the factory body lines and all of the mounting locations to my satisfaction. It added a significant amount of clearance to the rear of my truck and a tough, off road look as well. I now going to feel sorry for the little Honda Civic that finds it cant stop and runs into me in the snow. If I have any gripes about it, it would be the wimpy looking D-shackle mounts made out of 1/4" steel w/ tube punched through. I would have liked to see at least 1/2" thick plate, however I can say that I've pulled off them a few times and they've held just fine... just dont pull from an angle to keep them from bending.

I'd give the plate bumper a 4.5/5 rating.

I also ordered the wrap around side plates that protect the rear rocker panels of the truck. These parts are quite beefy at 3/16" thick and laser cut. They took a fair amount of persuading and muscling to get them into place and the bolt holes on the braces did not line up very well. The mounting bolt holes through the flange on the rear bumper and these were also very tight quarters and wouldnt allow the use of washers on both sides as they were intended. Further gripes I had included some really horrible looking welds on the brace pieces, and how I can push on the top of the wrap plates and touch my bedside... surely a bump on a tree stump or rock at any height above the bottom 1/3 is going to inflict damage to the side of the truck. Also, I was 2 bolts short in the hardware packet....

I'd give the side wrap-arounds a 3/5 rating.
Thanks for the review, we appreciate feedback! Your truck's lookin' good!

I just want to address a few points you brought up. First, regarding the 1/4" shackle mounts, keep in mind that it is part of one solid piece that goes through the bumper and bolts directly to the frame. If they were simply welded to the face of the bumper it is agreed that they would definately need to be stouter, but that would still be a weaker design. However, perception matters, so I'll see what we can do to "beef" them up.

The side pieces are indeed harder to install. We made them out of the thicker 3/16" material to help with the flex, but there is really no way to completely support that upper front corner, that is the weak point. However, if you're on a tree or rock, and they push in, then you're bed would have likely been wrecked far worse without some protection. I value them on my truck for the underneath protection. When your tire comes off a rock and the overhang on the bed slams down, then you'll be glad the extra side pieces are there!

Sorry about the missing hardware and issues with the braces, I'll definately look into it before we send anymore out.

Also, as a side note, we just got 20 more of these bumpers in today. We are now including license plates lights with them now that we found a good source, so no more worries about using the lighted frame, although I still have one on my truck with no trouble.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Tis the plan Just want to do a couple of last things to it before paint... like cutting in some recessed light mounts and cleaning up some welds and stuff.
Sounds good, your truck is mean looking! like there could be a mini gun pop out of the roof