1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by trd taco guy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dec 31, 2009 at 7:33 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    Well I finally decided what tonneau cover i wanted to go with. I was originally looking at a Fold-a-cover considering i have had them on my previous two trucks but they are pricey and have to be installed by someone who is patient and knows what they are doing. I have had both of the older versions of fold-a-cover's not the elite one so maybe its better but they were not completely weatherproof (the did let in a bit of water but nothing crazy) and after a while the rubber on the seams started cracking and the cover did scratch and dent pretty easy. so i decided to go with a soft folding cover to save some money and they seem pretty weather tight as well.

I decided to go with the Lund instead of the extang just to be a bit different and both products seem to be very similar. i have owned lund products in the past and have had no issues with them as well. i also liked the lower profile look of the lund even though i was pretty much going into this a bit blind cause i havent found anyone with a tacoma that has one. i bought mine off autoanything.com and they matched a competitors price. i have ordered from them before and just like last time it was a pleasent transaction. When the cover arrived it was a easy install just like any other soft fold tonneau. No tools whatsoever required. the Only thing that required to be assembled was putting the weather strip on the front and the back of the cover. basically you slide 4 brackets into the bed track system, put the cover on the front of the bed, line the line the brackets up with the clamps, make sure the cover is centered how you want it and all the seals are good. then lock the clamps down and your done.

Pro's - looks nice, well constructed, stiching is good, easy of use, nice material, metal brackets in the rails just slide in so if you ever need a tie down in the exact spot where the bracket is just slide it out of the way and your good to go
    cons' so far- the only thing that i didnt like was because the taco's bed isnt a prefect square you can see more of the top rail by the cab then you can at the tailgate. no big deal but you do notice it at first. (im not sure but i think the extang does the same thing) the back corners of the cover stick out past the corner of the bed a bit but with a bit of adjustment i dont think this a big issue either.

I havnt tested it for leakage yet cause it hasnt rained but i will keep you updated as soon as i do. but from closing the cover and laying inside there are very few spots that it could leak. two spots being where the stock rail cap meets the bed rail by the corners of the cab. they have nothing to do with the cover itself and im sure some caulk or some foam will take care of that and where the tailgate the side of the bed and the cover meet in the rear. i circled both in red on the pictures neither really worry me that much they can be sealed up in some way or another. plus i got a tailgate seal that i couldnt install yet because it was 15 degrees out when i went to put it on.

Overall im very pleased so far i would recomend it to other taco owners for my first soft tonneau i like the look. if i was to do it again i might go with a advantage torza just because i like how it fits on top of the rails. from what i can see it covers the rails perfectly and evenly.

P1010247.jpg
    P1010256.jpg
    P1010257.jpg
    P1010249.jpg
    P1010245.jpg
    P1010248.jpg
    P1010251.jpg
    P1010252p.jpg
    P1010253.jpg
    P1010254.jpg
    P1010255.jpg
    P1010246p.jpg

2. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    First snow with the cover today, only a few inches but nothing inside the bed. i would like to see a how it does in a driving rain but so far so good:D

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Looks really nice on your truck. Great review!

4. Jan 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Waltham MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 Access Cab
    This review tipped me from the Extang camp over to Lund. It arrived today, and I'm very happy with it!

Thanks for posting such detailed pics. Seeing what it looked like inside and out on a similar truck made all the difference for me!

5. Jan 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    trd taco guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    glad you like it so far keep us updated with your experience with the cover. i have had mine for a bit and im happy so far with my first soft cover.

BRIEF UPDATE: i did take it through a car wash cause its cold here (truck was covered in salt and road grime from the snow)and had a very little amount of water in the bed nothing got wet but there were a few dribbles but i still havn't address the tailgate seal and the few other spots i have already mentioned in the review so i think ill be in good shape when i address those issues

6. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    I love the soft covers, but the fit would annoy the heck outta me. Do any of the other soft covers fit the bed better?

7. Jan 11, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Looks basically identical to my Advantage Torza top.

Products Discussed in

To Top