Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

automatcentral tail light tint review

Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
automatcentral tail light tint review

ok..........props for automatcentral for letting us try products out and seeing how good they are.

got my tail light tint kit in yesterday, and took it out of the box. it comes with a 24inx24in sheet of film,a squeegee, and directions:

the light lenses and film need to be around room temp, and its cold as crap here, so i took them off my truck and took them apart, washed in warm water with dawn dish soap and dried.

now.....onto the install..........and just gonna go ahead and say, it didnt go too well. first, there is adequate enough tint for 2 lights, and you still have a good amount left over, but my lenses are way too curvy for this film.

as you can see, these lenses have some deep curves and such.

i cut the sheet of film in half for each light,and tried that way, and then i cut those sheets in half to try to do the top and bottom, but that dint work either....no matter how much heat/soapy water i used, it just simply would not hold in the curves. the best part where the film actually stuck on these lenses was the flattest parts on them.

finally, after trying everything i could for 4 hours on the one lens, i gave up, as the lens was just too curvy for tint.

overall.......a pretty good product, but i would highly recommend that the film kit wont work that great on really curvy lights, but should be fine for a more flat type light, such as the older first gens and maybe the 2nd gens, as they arent no where near as curvy as my lenses.

pricewise, im not really sure i'd want to pay quite as much as they cost, i'd probably rather use a more permanent spray tint, but thats just my opinion.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review will, i will take whatever you have left over lol.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Thanks for the review will, i will take whatever you have left over lol.

Beat me to it! lol

Nice write up will. If you still want to tint your tails, try some VH Nightshade and some clear coats. Just don't go too dark like I did
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
VHT Nite Shades for sure. And you actually don't need clear...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah, if i decide to tint them, ill go with vht. but.......when i had my lenses off, i noticed one of them had a good crack in it...not all the way thru, but seems like a good excuse now for a new set of tails!!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
yeah, if i decide to tint them, ill go with vht. but.......when i had my lenses off, i noticed one of them had a good crack in it...not all the way thru, but seems like a good excuse now for a new set of tails!!
I know someone who is gonna love to hear that!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I know someone who is gonna love to hear that!

she already heard it...and i got the normal roll her eyes deal.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Down In A Hole is on a distinguished road
Down In A Hole's Tacoma Gallery
I used VHT night shade spray. Took off the tail lights and taped off the areas I didn't want sprayed. I actually left the middle clear area un-sprayed. It turned out really nice and Looked really good but then as time went on the paint came off. Eventually it came off completely and looks stock again. I did VHT spray on another car before my tacoma and it never came off. So I don't know what the deal was this time. Didn't use any other paints with it this time or originally. I want to do it again but I'm worried the same will result. I wonder if weather had something to do with it? Who knows.