Notices

Why that remote starter?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Make more better!
skulltacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: BEN
skulltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Why that remote starter?

Basically I'm looking into buying a remote starter for my 2nd gen tacoma and well I was wondering what everyone has got.

Rules are simple

1. What kind you have.
2. why you decided on this particular one?
3. how happy are you with this one?
4. if you had to do it again would you?
5. if done again would you buy a different kit?

IM looking more for 2 way remote starters as well. Yes, i know they are a pain in the ass to install. However i have the expert as a neighbour but i still want your opinions thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
sweetbaboo is on a distinguished road
sweetbaboo's Tacoma Gallery
1. http://compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P2WSS.html, haven't gotten it installed yet, but will.
2. I had it on my WRX, it was fantastic. Range is fantastic at up to 6000 feet (start it from your office, start at the top of a ski mtn and ski down to a warm car) and the LCD screen is very nice to have since it will tell you when a door is open, if someone hit your vehicle and if the remote start actually turned on.
3. Happy enough to get it again
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
TacoEnthusiast is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
TacoEnthusiast's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...tart&cp=1&lp=5

Has a great range, works from basements. Remote is 2 way but just with indicator lights, no lcd screen. Got it because I carry keys in my pocket and don't need the bulk of a remote w/ screen. Is an alarm and remote start combo, alarm also works great. Have not had any false alarms. If I was a girl and carried around a purse I would spend the extra 100 to get the LCD screen, but the system overall has been excellent.

Yes I would buy it again.
Choosing it I did pretty extensive research. Talked to my friend who installs them for a living. She recommended it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Make more better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaboo View Post
1. http://compustar.com/products/pro/RF-P2WSS.html, haven't gotten it installed yet, but will.
2. I had it on my WRX, it was fantastic. Range is fantastic at up to 6000 feet (start it from your office, start at the top of a ski mtn and ski down to a warm car) and the LCD screen is very nice to have since it will tell you when a door is open, if someone hit your vehicle and if the remote start actually turned on.
and is this an alarm too?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Make more better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoEnthusiast View Post
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...tart&cp=1&lp=5

Has a great range, works from basements. Remote is 2 way but just with indicator lights, no lcd screen. Got it because I carry keys in my pocket and don't need the bulk of a remote w/ screen. Is an alarm and remote start combo, alarm also works great. Have not had any false alarms. If I was a girl and carried around a purse I would spend the extra 100 to get the LCD screen, but the system overall has been excellent.

Yes I would buy it again.
Choosing it I did pretty extensive research. Talked to my friend who installs them for a living. She recommended it.

Ill take a look into it i found a guy that will do it said and done for like 300 -350 maybe 400 for two way all the bells and whistles lcd screen with an alarm and he is very reputable so yeah... and i just literally bumped into him when i was leaving canadian tire with some supplies to gravel gaurd my stock trd sport rims lol life is full of mods.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
itzdaREV is on a distinguished road

itzdaREV's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to itzdaREV
i have the viper 5301, same one as TacoEnthusiast. it works great. if you want one with an lcd you can get the viper 5901.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...&skuId=9008539

My cousin is an installer in New Orleans and recommends viper alarm systems and has the 5901.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
I have an ungo 6000. I got it cause it's a reputable brand and my buddy has it too. Werks great. Took me a couple days to install because it was my first one. Not sure if I would want to do it again tho.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
sweetbaboo is on a distinguished road
sweetbaboo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skulltacoma View Post
and is this an alarm too?
yes, you can get it with remote start only or with remote start and alarm
Old 02-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
mr.ernst is on a distinguished road
Army: Information Systems Analyst
mr.ernst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzdaREV View Post
i have the viper 5301, same one as TacoEnthusiast. it works great. if you want one with an lcd you can get the viper 5901.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+-+...&skuId=9008539

My cousin is an installer in New Orleans and recommends viper alarm systems and has the 5901.
Where does your cousin work at? I'm in Baton Rouge, but I've been looking at the 5901's and just don't know any reputable installers in the area.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaboo View Post
I second CompuStar. The trucks as work all have CompuStar (if they have remote start), and it works AMAZING. The range is incredible, and it works inside of buildings that I can't barely get cell reception in. I work in a very cold environment, so having remote start prevents people from making an extra trip out to start their vehicle, and come back in to wait for it to warm up.

I don't actually own a CompuStar, though--but they seem to work very well.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Zizo will become famous soon enough
Name: Anthony
Zizo's Tacoma Gallery
1. What kind you have. Viper 5901
2. why you decided on this particular one? Best value for money. Has great options and allows you to do so much. It's got the 2-way communication bit and it vibrates to confirm commands. GREAT RANGE!!
3. how happy are you with this one? Extremely Happy. Easy to install and works flawlessly
4. if you had to do it again would you? Hell Yeah
5. if done again would you buy a different kit? Maybe spring for the 5902 but the only real difference is the remote. Otherwise, this one's about &150 cheaper and does the same thing.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Zizo will become famous soon enough
Name: Anthony
Zizo's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah don't forget to get the PKALL for the install. you need it for the immobilizer
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
1. Viper 5900.
2. It was the best one the moment.
3. I love it, although it is outdated so I cannot add the Smart Start.
4. Yes, I would do it again. It is a convenience for other vehicles like opening the trunk, sunroof, turning on the aux lights, etc.
5. No, just a newer version.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
1. What kind you have. Autostart 2 way
2. why you decided on this particular one?Was included in the sale
3. how happy are you with this one?Works decent
4. if you had to do it again would you?Hell yes
5. if done again would you buy a different kit?Maybe one with a lcd display and alarm combo

My truck is a manual so I have to "ready" the starter before I get out of the truck. Kind of annoying some times if you forget something in the truck and have to go through the whole sequence again.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
FireCane is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
FireCane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizo View Post
Oh yeah don't forget to get the PKALL for the install. you need it for the immobilizer
what the heck is this PKALL? I keep seeing it but can't find any info on its purpose.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
Verticle Taco is on a distinguished road
Verticle Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Compustar

I would go with the Compustar 2 way!! I like this idea cause if you wanted to spend a little more money you can hook up the Drone. This will allow you to start your truck, open or close doors, and track where you vehicle is if it stolen all from your cell phone. OR if wanna see where your gf goes while your at work lol!!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
cmghoughton is on a distinguished road
Army: Ex Armor Crewmember
Name: Doug
cmghoughton's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Viper 5901, no problems with it so far. I did want the color LCD model but couldn't justify the extra 150 for it. If you have it installed some where watch out for all the extras that you might need. Best buy tried to almost double my price for a key module or some extras that were not included.

I don't know if it works from a mile away like they advertise but it goes really far. Also the two way lets you know if it's going off or if someone hit you. I don't like the material of the key chain housing though, it's a silver paint that's already scratching off after three months. And you have to charge this one, I get about a month before it lets me know it's about to die. Just a simple mini USB plug.

I am happy with it, security and remote start
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
SitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to all
Name: TC
SitkaSpruceMica's Tacoma Gallery
I have installed AutoCommand remote starters in 3 of my vehicles and have never had an issue. Installed the first one in 1996 and have one currently in my 2004 2500HD. Plan to install a remote start in my new Tacoma also. I like the AutoCommand because its simple and reliable, I do not use any of the Security System features but do have the Keyless Entry set up. I also appreciate the longer crank time setting, my 496cid does not always start on the short crank mode when its below 0. AutoCommand is what we installed at the Dodge dealer here and had very good success with it. Can only remember one that gave the installer trouble and they quickly sent us a new unit.

TC
Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
cmghoughton is on a distinguished road
Army: Ex Armor Crewmember
Name: Doug
cmghoughton's Tacoma Gallery
There is one thing about the Viper 5901 that I didn't mention that I don't like but I bet is the same with most systems. With the factory key-less remote if you hit unlock just once it only opens the driver door, then twice for the rest of the doors. I installed the electric Pop & Lock and wired it to the passenger door but because of the Viper it always opens/closes with the alarm. It's a stupid little annoyance but just wanted to throw it out there.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #20
ihadmail will become famous soon enough
ihadmail's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Viper VSS3000 smart start. I have not had it installed yet. I purchased this one because I can control it with my iPhone instead of having a separate remote on my keychain. This one also gives you positive feedback on whether the start command is successful or not.