Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Advantage TorzaTop Review

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #61
RandyL is on a distinguished road
RandyL's Tacoma Gallery
Good info here, thanks to all for posting. I plan to go with either the TorzaTop or the Hard Hat. Other than the roughtly $300 price difference these days is there a weight difference between the two? Also, just how strong is the Hard Hat, could you walk on it for example?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #62
nelly.hartley is on a distinguished road
nelly.hartley's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, this was helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #63
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
Good info here, thanks to all for posting. I plan to go with either the TorzaTop or the Hard Hat. Other than the roughtly $300 price difference these days is there a weight difference between the two? Also, just how strong is the Hard Hat, could you walk on it for example?
You can't walk on it. I wouldn't even let my 30lb daughter sit on it. I would assume there is a weight difference between the two models. The material that makes the Hard Hat 'hard' is basically some wood (maybe 1/4 think? I don't know for sure). It's a good compromise between light weight but 'hard'. It's fairly easy to carry the Hard Hat by myself so I wouldn't think the difference is too much.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #64
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doc
Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahumphries View Post
Just a quick question...I received my Torza Hard Hat Premier cover (and absolutely LOVE it), but one of the clamping handles works differently than the others. Three clamp down parallel (same direction as) to the bedliner, while the oddity clamps down perpendicular. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be this way? It works (clamps), but just seems strange. Thanks in advance!

v/r,
Ric
Just got mine and installed it today, same thing. The two closest to the tailgate and the one on the right forward are parallel to the side, the one on the left locks at a 90 degree angle. I laid under there fiddling with it for a while and decided it worked so I left it alone. I find it odd though.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #65
Doc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just a quick question...I received my Torza Hard Hat Premier cover (and absolutely LOVE it), but one of the clamping handles works differently than the others. Three clamp down parallel (same direction as) to the bedliner, while the oddity clamps down perpendicular. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be this way? It works (clamps), but just seems strange. Thanks in advance!

v/r,
Ric
Email Advantage, apparently some covers we're sent out with the wrong latches, they'll send you the proper ones. No charge of course.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #66
dahumphries is on a distinguished road
Name: Ric
dahumphries's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFF View Post
Email Advantage, apparently some covers we're sent out with the wrong latches, they'll send you the proper ones. No charge of course.

Thank you...the cover works great, but it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I've emailed Advantage. I'll follow up with their response.

v/r,
Ric
Old 03-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #67

Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you...the cover works great, but it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I've emailed Advantage. I'll follow up with their response.

v/r,
Ric
They sent me two of the correct latches, they were stand up about it.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #68

Doc35's Tacoma Gallery
Follow up on the Advantage Torza Top, I received the top with incorrect front two latches. After contacting Advantage and explaining the problem they sent me two different latches. I spent considerable time attempting to change the latches with no luck. I worked with "Cori" at Advantage, once I experienced problems switching out the latches he/she no longer responded to my emails. I eventually asked for a refund of my purchase price or returning the cover for repair, I've yet to receive a response after several weeks. I'd recommend not purchasing this cover due to my experiences, purchase at your own risk.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #69
Lwolf777 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pj
Lwolf777's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys just installed the primier cover, seems to not fit right. There is a small gap on middle of tail gate, and the rubber strip is longer on right side of the gate. Has anyone else have this problem? Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #70
RonW is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
RonW's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the Advantage Torzatop on my Taco for about a month, and am happy with it. I opted for the premiere fabric . . . it's basically the same material as what is used to make convertible tops. It looks good and seems to be holding up well. I take it through a drive thru car wash at least once a week. Other than a few drops, no water gets in the bed. Easy to install, easy to remove. I'd purchase it again.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #71
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
after looking at this thread, i was about to buy a new one, but held off, ended up finding a used one on craigslist dirt cheap i have the 5 foot bed, and it mounted up easy, and it looks to have the same clamps as the op's but, i didnt have to remove the end stops, i have about 1-2 inchs before i even get to them?!?! but so far, im very happy with this cover, looks good, seems to be of good quality and all!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #73
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
So this tonneau hooks into the rail with no brackets at all? I really don't want brackets in the rail system like so many other trifolds have

Correct - it uses the existing rails with no additional hardware needed. When you remove the tonneau, no hardware remains. Even when the tonneau is installed, you can still use the rails with the OEM hardware.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #75
dahumphries is on a distinguished road
Name: Ric
dahumphries's Tacoma Gallery
Realistically, you can install or remove in less than 2 min...super easy, no tools necessary.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #76
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Long Term review......

I've owned this Torza top for almost as long as I've owned my truck. I'd say, this top is probably close to 7 years old. It's been on the truck for the entire time. It's been parked outside the entire time. The top has been kept clean, I apply vinyl protectant on it.... And in the winters, I always brush the snow off (to keep the weight off it).

As many of you know.... this winter has been brutal. This has been the worst winter for south eastern PA .....it's been brutally cold and we've had shit-tons of snow. Just last week, we had about 5" of snow and 1" of ice on top. It knocked trees /branches over and 55,000 people were without power (including myself). As usual, I cleaned off the truck and cleaned off the heavy snow/ice off the tonneau cover. Never noticed anything....

Until, my husband noticed a hole in the vinyl just yesterday. We thought we may have poked a hole in it while hauling trash last week..... but upon closer inspection, the vinyl has become brital and the hole is more of a 'wear thru/crack thru;. I also saw a couple other faint holes were beginning.

These holes were located near or above the cross beams. So perhaps, over the years of folding the vinyl in those spots (cross beams) along with the being exposed outside and especially....this frigid cold winter & ice storm..... my vinyl has given up.

I'm bummed - as I absolutely LOVE this top.
I'd love to buy a new one - but, we just signed an offer to buy a new house. Sooooo.....the priority goes to buying 'new house' kinda things. I'm very very curious to know if I can repair this somehow and get a few more years out of it
(until I'm ready to buy a new truck ) I'll be researching.

Just thought I'd give some feedback. I'm sad..... My truck is getting old .... (like me).
Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #77
Pbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pbtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Long Term review......

I've owned this Torza top for almost as long as I've owned my truck. I'd say, this top is probably close to 7 years old. It's been on the truck for the entire time. It's been parked outside the entire time. The top has been kept clean, I apply vinyl protectant on it.... And in the winters, I always brush the snow off (to keep the weight off it).

As many of you know.... this winter has been brutal. This has been the worst winter for south eastern PA .....it's been brutally cold and we've had shit-tons of snow. Just last week, we had about 5" of snow and 1" of ice on top. It knocked trees /branches over and 55,000 people were without power (including myself). As usual, I cleaned off the truck and cleaned off the heavy snow/ice off the tonneau cover. Never noticed anything....

Until, my husband noticed a hole in the vinyl just yesterday. We thought we may have poked a hole in it while hauling trash last week..... but upon closer inspection, the vinyl has become brital and the hole is more of a 'wear thru/crack thru;. I also saw a couple other faint holes were beginning.

These holes were located near or above the cross beams. So perhaps, over the years of folding the vinyl in those spots (cross beams) along with the being exposed outside and especially....this frigid cold winter & ice storm..... my vinyl has given up.

I'm bummed - as I absolutely LOVE this top.
I'd love to buy a new one - but, we just signed an offer to buy a new house. Sooooo.....the priority goes to buying 'new house' kinda things. I'm very very curious to know if I can repair this somehow and get a few more years out of it
(until I'm ready to buy a new truck ) I'll be researching.

Just thought I'd give some feedback. I'm sad..... My truck is getting old .... (like me).
Contact advantage 10 year warranty on the vinyl tarp.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #79
Go Pokes!
Pistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Pistol Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbtaco View Post
That's what I thought as well.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #80
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbtaco View Post
Thanks!! I didn't know about the 10 year warranty!
And here it is....
http://www.advantagetruckaccessories...ay13_Page1.pdf

I've saved just about every other receipt for everything I've ever bought for the truck - but wouldn't you know it? I can't find the receipt!! I had this installed locally, so here's praying they can vouch for me!

I'm debating whether I should contact the shop directly or call Advantage first. I know one of the guys who works at the shop and we go thru him directly. He might be able to push the issue for me.... (better than I could).

I'll let you know how things go!

Products Discussed in this Thread