Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Advantage TorzaTop Review

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #81
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Update:
Talked to a guy at Advantage about the top.... At the time I purchased my top (May 2007) there was only a 7 year warranty on the vinyl, which I still fall within. At this point, I'll be taking some photos and sending them to Advantage to see if they'll cover it under warranty. I talked with my local truck accessories 'friend' and he's gonna write up a receipt for me if I need it. It was never mentioned when I talked with Advantage.

On a side note: If the 'vinyl' isn't covered under warranty... I was told (by Advantage) that it costs $100 to buy the vinyl tarp and it can be installed easily at home. I think he said 'free shipping'. If this doesn't fall under warranty, I won't hesitate to buy new vinyl.

The guy at Advantage had asked me - "Do you use vinyl protectants?"
I said YES and that I DO NOT use ArmorAll but couldn't remember the name of the stuff I actually use. I don't know if this will bite me in the ass or what....but the current warranty listing states they recommend Vyn-All-RX.

Once the weather clears, I'll take some photos.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #83
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Update #2:

I sent photos of my top into John Soper (1-800-773-3110 x2309) jsoper@advantagetruckaccesorries.com

They wouldn't cover it under 'warranty' because they didn't feel it was a 'manufacturer' defect. At least I tried....
And to recap - this top has been outside exposed to the elements everyday for just about 7 years. So - I really can't complain. The vinyl just got 'dry rot' over the years. So anyway....John had offered to sell me a new vinyl top (only) for $59.73 plus shipping. Shipping costs to me (PA) will be about $25.
That's a whole lot better than buying a completely new top ($350 +). The frame is still perfectly fine.
Normally...to buy the vinyl only, is $99 plus shipping.

Tomorrow I just need to open up my top and get the model # information. I'll hope to have this ordered next week.

I hope its not hard to install......
Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #84
Go Pokes!
Pistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPistol Pete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Pistol Pete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Update #2:

I sent photos of my top into John Soper (1-800-773-3110 x2309) jsoper@advantagetruckaccesorries.com

They wouldn't cover it under 'warranty' because they didn't feel it was a 'manufacturer' defect. At least I tried....
And to recap - this top has been outside exposed to the elements everyday for just about 7 years. So - I really can't complain. The vinyl just got 'dry rot' over the years. So anyway....John had offered to sell me a new vinyl top (only) for $59.73 plus shipping. Shipping costs to me (PA) will be about $25.
That's a whole lot better than buying a completely new top ($350 +). The frame is still perfectly fine.
Normally...to buy the vinyl only, is $99 plus shipping.

Tomorrow I just need to open up my top and get the model # information. I'll hope to have this ordered next week.

Good info Janster Thanks for sharing your experiance.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Epic vinyl install FAIL. So, the guy at Advantage says...."All you need is a phillips screwdriver and fold it and slide the old one out and the new one in, etc."

No instructions included.

My husband and I struggled with it yesterday and we still didn't get it finished. Obviously, there is a method to the madness that would've been nice to have instructions. The vinyl is so new and TIGHT that we couldn't muscle or stretch it enough to 'slide' accordingly. We ended up dismantling the entire frame (MAJOR bad idea).

And....discovered....the width of the top at the cab is about 3" wider than at the tailgate. I would've never guessed.

So - for now, I'm putting it away until I can lay this thing in the sun and hope it 'relaxes' enough to stretch it. ??? My husband was ready to throw it out the window and told me to just order another one!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #87
Pbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPbtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pbtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to hold the frame in a U shape and just install the 4 outside corners? Then fully unfold the frame to help stretch the vinyl flat.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #88
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbtaco View Post
Is it possible to hold the frame in a U shape and just install the 4 outside corners? Then fully unfold the frame to help stretch the vinyl flat.
That's a good thought.... The vinyl has a C-shaped(for lack of better way to explain it) plastic lip with edges that slides into the frame rails. I don't think you can 'pop' it into place (or else it might pop out).

I've set it aside for now....but I'll keep that in mind, even if I muscle it.

I haven't given up on it yet. Just have some other things going on.....
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #89
ACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shedACEkraut is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
ACEkraut's Tacoma Gallery
So, I know it has been 5 months since the last post to this thread but I wondered about an update regarding your attempts to get the cover repaired? Just curious as I felt like I had picked up a book, become really engrossed in the tale only to find the last chapter had been ripped out.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #91
AKA: Spongebob "RainbowPuke" Squarepants
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone still looking to buy this cover, they changed the clamps to what i believe is a big step backwards in design. The clams near the tailgate are the same as they always were but the clamps close to the cab are now a screw down t-handle style that require extra hardware to stay in the bed rail at all times. Almost makes me want to send the cover back. This change in design occurred JUNE 2nd 2014

I can link more information upon request.

The whole reason i bought this cover was to have no extra hardware in the bed rail system when the cover is off the truck and now that feature is no longer there
Old 10-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #92
Cruzin90 is on a distinguished road
Cruzin90's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, the Truck Gear by LINE-X Tri-Fold Cover is a rebadged TorzaTop. You might be able to get a better price from a LINE-X dealer. I don't know what the price is.

Link: http://truckgear.com/p-18942-truck-g...cessories.html

Products Discussed in this Thread