Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Pop & Lock PL5300 Review

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuck View Post
Well I am please to have my Pop & Lock 5300 installed on my Tacoma. Everything was very easy to install. The only real problem I had (delayed me for 2 minutes) was getting the locating tab on the rear panel out of the metal frame hole (just above the handle area). I didn't want to break it, although it would have no affect on performance had I broken it. Installation of the camera was painless although I had to use a small drill bit to open up two guide pin holes just a little bit so it would fit well.

Operation of the handle is nice and smooth as well as the locking was smooth. I used a little blue locktite on the two mounting bolts (used the two bolts holding the camera in place), which also inhibits corrosion (present on the old handle bolts).

Mechanical quality appears fine. Visual quality, well I'm not too happy with it. The plastic is a cheap looking high gloss plastic which scratches very easily so it shows wear very quickley. The half dozen times I opened the tailgate showed several scratches on the handle. I would rather have a matte finish.

Purchased the unit from TruckAlterations for $47.00 delivered.

-Joe
You have a glossy finish?...
Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonesTrumpet View Post
You have a glossy finish?...
Unfortunately. It looks like it was hit with some high shine ArmorAll.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #23
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's interesting. Mine just looks like crappy plastic but it's not glossy.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #24
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Take a pic...I wonder how different it looks from mine.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSTIZO99 View Post
Take a pic...I wonder how different it looks from mine.
x2
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAYo2002 View Post
That's interesting. Mine just looks like crappy plastic but it's not glossy.
Mine looks like crappy plastic, just with a glossy finish that tears up quickly.

As for picture requests, I doubt it will look any different since it matches the style in the first posting, but once I get a working camera I'll be happy to post it.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 AM   #27
svfdlt1 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
svfdlt1's Tacoma Gallery
Pop Lock review

I recently began researching the Pop Lock installation for my Tacoma. A local dealer recommended not getting the lock due to a history of the lock unlocking while driving and hitting bumps or due to jarring of the vehicle. Any thoughts or history on this?

Thanks
SVFDLT1
Old 08-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #28
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea 303 is a UV protectant, can't tell you if it's better than Armor All though since I just started using it. It puts a slight sheen on the handle, but it's definitely not glossy if that's what you're looking for.

PL5300 works great for my needs...tailgate is secured.
Not that impressed with 303 protectant. For the money it ddoesn't seem like it is worth it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfdlt1 View Post
I recently began researching the Pop Lock installation for my Tacoma. A local dealer recommended not getting the lock due to a history of the lock unlocking while driving and hitting bumps or due to jarring of the vehicle. Any thoughts or history on this?

Thanks
SVFDLT1
For the PL5300 model that I have, I don't have a clue how this could possibly happen. You're not replacing the latches at all and mechanically the handle works the same except you can disable the handle from working. Sounds like your dealer may want to sell you something else?

I've also seen other reviews of the Pop & Lock where is comes with extender bars where some people had eliminated use of those bars and maybe that's what the dealer was talking about. Those are not for this model/version. All tie points are in the exact same position/pivot point, no mechanical changes in that area.

Hope this helps,
-Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #30
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfdlt1 View Post

Thanks
SVFDLT1
So far I have never experienced this problem. The mechanism is pretty basic...unless the tumblers inside the lock bounce around? I have read of folks in the snowy regions talk about it rusting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
Not that impressed with 303 protectant. For the money it ddoesn't seem like it is worth it.
It's definitely not cheap. I suppose time will tell how well my vinyl trim and handle hold up. What were you expecting out of it?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #31

Quote:
So far I have never experienced this problem. The mechanism is pretty basic...unless the tumblers inside the lock bounce around? I have read of folks in the snowy regions talk about it rusting though.
Glad you said that, guess I should hit mine with a shot of WD40 periodically. Have you heard what the locking mechanism is made of? It would be fine if it were brass and just the silver cover is the part that rusts. It wouldn't look nice after a while but you could unlock it at least.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #32
maestroz2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
maestroz2's Tacoma Gallery
Mine works awesome but the black paint that was on it when i bought the thing started to chip after a few weeks.

Has anyone tried to paint/re-paint these handles?

I was thinking of buying a 12oz can of color matched paint for my pyrite mica since i have the sport model to match the rest of the door handles.

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I think it would look nice.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroz2 View Post
Mine works awesome but the black paint that was on it when i bought the thing started to chip after a few weeks.

Has anyone tried to paint/re-paint these handles?

I was thinking of buying a 12oz can of color matched paint for my pyrite mica since i have the sport model to match the rest of the door handles.

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I think it would look nice.
Make sure the plastic is very clean and use spray paint made for plastic, they stick better.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Glad you said that, guess I should hit mine with a shot of WD40 periodically. Have you heard what the locking mechanism is made of? It would be fine if it were brass and just the silver cover is the part that rusts. It wouldn't look nice after a while but you could unlock it at least.
No I don't actually know what the inside is made of. All I've read is some folks saying that they had gotten replacements because it rusted out and they couldn't lock/unlock. Not sure if this was on older or newer Pop & Locks. I don't really have to deal with snow and salt down here in FL, but the lock's still open to the elements and there is always a chance for rust either way. I'll be hitting it up with some maintenance as well to try to keep this from happening.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #35
JoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired MSgt
Name: Whip
JoePa Fan's Tacoma Gallery
NAYo2002,
Followed your excellent installation instructions for my Pop N Lock. Everything was on point and much easier (based on your photos and narratives) compared to the installation instructions that came with the lock. Thanks for an excellent "how to".
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa Fan View Post
NAYo2002,
Followed your excellent installation instructions for my Pop N Lock. Everything was on point and much easier (based on your photos and narratives) compared to the installation instructions that came with the lock. Thanks for an excellent "how to".
No problem, I just added to what others have already said before. Glad everything worked out well
Old 10-23-2010, 06:06 AM   #37
UCKYUK is on a distinguished road

UCKYUK's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with some of the posts here - I have one of the first PL5300's and it's complete junk. Almost every time I shut my tailgate, it locks on me too, when it's supposed to stay unlocked. Once it is unlocked, I have to open it with two hands, because the the plastic handle is too flimsy and flexes too much for it to open cleanly. It's very clunky to operate and I too think the finish doesn't exude quality. It also looks like they cut the plastic free-hand with an x-acto knife, it's not even straight - you can see it from one of the earlier posted pics. I could have overlooked the cheapo plastic finish if it at least functioned properly. I think I am going to try to call them to get a better handle or a replacement. If not, I will switch brands. It's too bad, because I like a locking tailgate, but I am starting to dislike this thing more and more. Anyone else have experience with another lock?

Toyota really dropped the ball by not having an OEM lock on the tailgate, that uses the same key as everything else. After 4 years, it's one of my only complaints about the truck.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #38

Well here is an update (5 months after installation) on my wonderful Pop&Lock handle. The shiny glossy finish is peeling off. The finish is almost all a flat matt which is what I actually wanted in the first place. Until it all flakes off it will look like crap but once it's finished I think it will be a nice touch.

I haven't had any mechanical failures (cross my fingers) and hope I never do.

-Joe
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #39

It's been almost 10 months and I'm just here to report that it's still working perfectly... I haven't even had a chance to re-lube it (prob not even necessary since it's still working smooth) since we've been getting sub-zero winter storms up here in Montana.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
teracoma is on a distinguished road
teracoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one after reading this thread. I bought a 2011 Tacoma last November and on New Years eve my tailgate was stolen. I never even though about getting stolen. I was worried about stuff in my bed every night. I heard about people stealing tailgates, but thought it was rare. Also I didn't know that Toyotas made the tailgates so easy to take off. I though it was only American trucks. This sucks because now I don't have a factory tailgate no more. It's just a replica tailgate that was painted to match. I took it to the same toyota dealer I bought it from. I thought it would be better. Turns out they are terrible. I still don't have my tailgate done yet. They also told us they can't find a lock for the tailgate. Damn idiots. They said they're working on 3 other tacomas with stolen tailgates. Feel sorry for those customer because they probably going through the same terrible service we are going through. If they working on so many tailgates, I would think they should know how to get this same issue out faster and also know how to look for a lock.