Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Pop & Lock PL5300 Review

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #61
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to have to move my camera when I get a HC with a tire carrier, would like to replace the tailgate handle with this when I do. Anyone know if I can get just the standard without the camera? Or do I have to get the one designed for the camera and then just leave it out?

Does that make sense?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #62
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I'm going to have to move my camera when I get a HC with a tire carrier, would like to replace the tailgate handle with this when I do. Anyone know if I can get just the standard without the camera? Or do I have to get the one designed for the camera and then just leave it out?
Does that make sense?
It can be used on tailgates w/o the backup camera. If you look at the first picture I posted, you'll see that there's a square to the left that was pre-cut for the camera. If a tailgate does not have a camera, you just leave that piece in.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #63
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post
Just got my tailgate lock earlier today. I decided to brave the cold and put it to work. well...., I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Where are the bolts?

Not sure what you done here but it should have fit. Here is some information, please let me know if this sounds correct...

1) The camera was mounted with 2 screws to the original fixture.
2) The camera has 2 guide pins.
3) When you place the camera on the new camera mount the guide pins and screw holes lines up with the holes in the new mount.
4) If the guide pins do not fit in the two guide holes, run a drill bit through those two holes of the appropriate size to allow the guide pins to fit.
5) Mount the camera to the mount using the two screws.
6) Mount the assembly into the Pop & Lock.

It should be good at this point. Too bad you cut up that mount but it looks like you can salvage it. It looks like you don't even have the screws installed to hold the camera to the mount but cut out the locations where the guide pins are. I recommend you take it apart and mount the camera properly so it mounts flush with the mount using the two screws. This will adjust the angle and fix your viewing problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmuck View Post
Not sure what you done here but it should have fit. Here is some information, please let me know if this sounds correct...

1) The camera was mounted with 2 screws to the original fixture.
2) The camera has 2 guide pins.
3) When you place the camera on the new camera mount the guide pins and screw holes lines up with the holes in the new mount.
4) If the guide pins do not fit in the two guide holes, run a drill bit through those two holes of the appropriate size to allow the guide pins to fit.
5) Mount the camera to the mount using the two screws.
6) Mount the assembly into the Pop & Lock.

It should be good at this point. Too bad you cut up that mount but it looks like you can salvage it. It looks like you don't even have the screws installed to hold the camera to the mount but cut out the locations where the guide pins are. I recommend you take it apart and mount the camera properly so it mounts flush with the mount using the two screws. This will adjust the angle and fix your viewing problem.
Hi there,
There would be no way I can get that mount to fit the camera and bolt it to those two bolts without cutting and bending it. The 2013 Tacoma's backup camera is either too bulky and long to fit in it or that mount isn't the correct one. I'll show a picture of the oem vs pop&lock tailgate lock when I get a chance. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #65
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi there,
There would be no way I can get that mount to fit the camera and bolt it to those two bolts without cutting and bending it. The 2013 Tacoma's backup camera is either too bulky and long to fit in it or that mount isn't the correct one. I'll show a picture of the oem vs pop&lock tailgate lock when I get a chance. Thanks!
Please provide as much data as you can. I'm sure many 2013 Tacoma owners would like to know about the problems you are having and if there is a proper solution. If you could take many good photos so we could compare the two locks and mounting areas. A ruler to measure the holes would be a nice touch if you believe those don't line up.

As I recall, I have a tuff time fitting mine in but I think it was just needing to drill out the guide pin holes a little.

And please don't think that I think you are stupid or anything, that is not the case. You own a Tacoma, you are smart enough to me .
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #66
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It can be used on tailgates w/o the backup camera. If you look at the first picture I posted, you'll see that there's a square to the left that was pre-cut for the camera. If a tailgate does not have a camera, you just leave that piece in.
Ah gotcha. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #67
OEM

Pop&Lock
Old 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #68
Quote:
Please provide as much data as you can. I'm sure many 2013 Tacoma owners would like to know about the problems you are having and if there is a proper solution. If you could take many good photos so we could compare the two locks and mounting areas. A ruler to measure the holes would be a nice touch if you believe those don't line up.

As I recall, I have a tuff time fitting mine in but I think it was just needing to drill out the guide pin holes a little.

And please don't think that I think you are stupid or anything, that is not the case. You own a Tacoma, you are smart enough to me .
LOL....., WTF is this kind of comment for?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #69

I'm sure you have tried this but....
Attached Thumbnails
Pop & Lock PL5300 Review-camera.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #70
Quote:
I'm sure you have tried this but....
Tried that and it wouldn't work. I also tried turning the camera in every possible angles to get it to sit but it wouldn't fit. That plastic mount was not designed for that 2013 Tacoma backup camera. That plastic mount has to molded in an angle that allows the camera to sit in its intended position.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #71

Quote:
Tried that and it wouldn't work. I also tried turning the camera in every possible angles to get it to sit but it wouldn't fit. That plastic mount was not designed for that 2013 Tacoma backup camera. That plastic mount has to molded in an angle that allows the camera to sit in its intended position.
Have you tried to contact Popandlock.net and ask them for a new mount for the 2013? I would expect they would only replace the mount section. Of course that assumes they even have it made.

Good luck to you on this and please post if you get any resolution from that company.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #72

I have contacted the PopandLock company because I was concerned that there was an issue with the 2013 Tacoma's and they assured me that the camera in a 2013 Tacoma does fit. I wish I had taken photos of the camera mounting. Maybe the next person who successfully does this installation could take a series of photos and post them.

Quote:
The Camera will fit in the 2013 Tacoma. The camera holder has to be removed from the camera. This is done by removing the 2 little screws from the back side of the camera. You will have to unplug the wires as well to get the holder off. Once this is done you can remove our holder from our lock and mount the camera to it and mount the holder back into the Pop and Lock handle. You will also need to release the wire from the mounts that hold it to the tailgate to rerun the wire so the camera will move to the other side. Any questions let me know .

Thank You,

Jason Lindsley
Production/Technical Service Manager

Pop & Lock, LLC
1271 Contract Dr.
Green Bay, WI 54304
Phone: 800-342-5911
Fax: 855-491-5911
E-mail: jason@popandlock.net
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #73
Rellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to behold

Army: Corporal 9th ID (Disbanded)
Rellikcro's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered one of these for my 2013 Tacoma and will let everyone know when I get it and give updates on what I find.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #74
Quote:
I have contacted the PopandLock company because I was concerned that there was an issue with the 2013 Tacoma's and they assured me that the camera in a 2013 Tacoma does fit. I wish I had taken photos of the camera mounting. Maybe the next person who successfully does this installation could take a series of photos and post them.
I emailed Pop&Lock and they confirmed that the tailgate lock I order should fit my 2013. The lock does fit but the mount that secures the backup camera in place is the issue. I had to re-route the camera wires because of the switch of the camera position from right to left. I'd be very interested to see feedbacks from guys who have ordered or will be ordering the pop&lock for their 2013 Tacoma. Please give us updates.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #75

Everyone has to reroute the camera wires as the camera moves from the right side to the left side for the PL5300 series. That is a very minor change and covered in step 9 of the installation instructions and is covered in this thread as well.

I too am interested to see if the 2013 Tacoma is a perfect fit. If anyone has problems, contact Pop and Lock. Also, read this thread. Keep in mind that I personally had to open up the holes for the guide pins a little bit to make mine fit properly.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #76
Quote:
Everyone has to reroute the camera wires as the camera moves from the right side to the left side for the PL5300 series. That is a very minor change and covered in step 9 of the installation instructions and is covered in this thread as well.

I too am interested to see if the 2013 Tacoma is a perfect fit. If anyone has problems, contact Pop and Lock. Also, read this thread. Keep in mind that I personally had to open up the holes for the guide pins a little bit to make mine fit properly.
JoeSchmuck, are you one of the guy or an associate of pop&lock? I'm just curious.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #77
ksands is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
ksands's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys,
I was reading the post and sorry you had a problem with the install.I installed the pop n lock on my 2013 with camera and did not have the problems you had.
I did not have to cut or bend anything and when viewing the camera, nothing is blocked. It fit as it should.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksands View Post
Hi guys,
I was reading the post and sorry you had a problem with the install.I installed the pop n lock on my 2013 with camera and did not have the problems you had.
I did not have to cut or bend anything and when viewing the camera, nothing is blocked. It fit as it should.
Care to share some pictures?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #79
ksands is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
ksands's Tacoma Gallery
i took a few pics. I hope this helps. I didn't take many pics when I did it, this is all I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop & Lock PL5300 Review-img_2034.jpg   Pop & Lock PL5300 Review-img_2123.jpg   Pop & Lock PL5300 Review-img_2124.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #80
Rellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to beholdRellikcro is a splendid one to behold

Army: Corporal 9th ID (Disbanded)
Rellikcro's Tacoma Gallery
Received my Pop N Lock today and installed it without issue on my 2013 Tacoma, I did not get many pics as I was doing most of this work in low light (was getting dark fast) but the whole thing took less then 30 minutes. I did have to drill the two setting holes just very slightly larger but other then that it was all drop in.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop & Lock PL5300 Review-20130225_180020.jpg