Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Pop & Lock PL5300 Review

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #81
falcon92 is on a distinguished road
falcon92's Tacoma Gallery
Installed a pop and lock pl5304 (the premium black version of the 5300) on my 2012 tacoma. Has anyone else ended up with a small gap between the pop and lock and the tailgate? If so, any recommendations to fill the gap?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #82
I can resist everything except temptation
SamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really nice

Air Force: Air Commando - 1st Air Commando Wing
Name: Jersey
SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Pop & Lock 5300

Received and installed Pop & Lock 5300 with backup camera.
Install went well, rerouted camera cable and as previous poster indicated lubricated the mechanism before reassembly. Works great with no issues, fit is as good as the OEM.

Not sure but possibly if some who say it is loose fitting, if they did not remove the gasket on the OEM and re-insert it into the new lock it may account for why there is a space or it is loose fitting.

With the Tonno-Pro tri-fold hard cover it makes for a pretty secure setup. At least it is better than having nothing and will deter the casual opportunist.

I have also read in some of the other forums that some wished they were able to have the lock keyed the same as their ignition key. To me outside of securing the tailgate another reason not to have it keyed the same as the ignition key, would be if you were to use valet parking, you just gave out the key allowing access for all those possessions you wanted locked up in the first place. If you were on vacation for instance and your luggage was locked in the bed with laptops, camera etc. you just gave up your security.

Link to Pop & Lock install with camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjKOosX_Jo
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #83
facewest is on a distinguished road
facewest's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a pop and lock. I have to say, it was pretty frustrating at times. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my truck, so maybe this 'imperfection' doesn't bother others, or maybe I am imagining it all together.

What I noticed is that the handle is not centered. It is only off by a fraction of an inch but noticeable all the same (to me anyway). It apears that the handle is slightly further to the right side than the left. Here are some pictures so you can see what I am talking about:

In spite of the poor cell phone pics, I think you can clearly see that there is more space on the left hand side than the right. I have seen pictures that others have posted in which the handle seems to fit better. Has anyone else noticed/had this issue? Did I do something wrong than I may be able to fix?

At the end of the day, its a very small issue that most people will not notice when looking at my truck. I wanted the tailgate to lock and now it does. All the same, I'd love to hear what you have to say about this.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #84
I can resist everything except temptation
SamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really nice

Air Force: Air Commando - 1st Air Commando Wing
Name: Jersey
SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
After your post, I went and looked at mine again.
It appears to be centered with no difference on either side.

It is hard to tell from your photo, but I think what I am seeing is the gasket and the handle isn't covering the whole thing, unless it is just a shadow.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:56 AM   #85
Ernesto4 is on a distinguished road
Ernesto4's Tacoma Gallery
will this work for a 05 tacoma? i plan on installing an Alpine back up camera to this.