1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good winches????

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by brutalguyracing, May 23, 2010.

1. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing [OP] BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :thumbsup:
    sweet you a sponsor or???
    any videos of it in use????

2. Jan 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    YES
    We have some pictures on the website StingerGroundAnchor.com or Facebook @ Stinger Ground Anchor.

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    P_Tree

P_Tree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Beavercreek, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995 1/2 Tacoma
    Custom plate bumper Trail Gear sliders/rear bumper Magnaflow exhuast Warn M8000 Winch Rocklights 8" Hella Fogs Cargo Bed Basket Tint 35 12.5 KM2s SAS Swap CB and PA Hids 8k highs and lows Fogs 12 inch alpine sub Spec intake Blacked out Grill, Emblems, etc...
    Get one that is double your trucks weight. i would say a m8000 by warn.

4. Jan 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Rich Beauregard

Rich Beauregard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    New London, CT
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco 4x4 SR5 Access Cab White
    You say "double your trucks weight", but then you say 8000 lb winch? That's confusing? My Tacoma weight is about 5400 lbs. (Scales at the recycle place I take scrap to.) I have a T-Max 10,000 lb winch on the front bumper and it has worked well for over 4 years. I know that T-Max has been bought-out by Westin and I can not speak for the Westin T-Max winch, only the older T-Max winch. I have used this winch many times to pull others out when stuck and a coulpe times to pull myself up muddy slopes, and even lifted the front of my truck off the ground to manuver around a tree/slope. Yes I used my snatch block! they come in handy.

5. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    1.5 times your weight is just fine. however anything close to 2Xs is better and your winch will last longer for it.
    i went with the 9500ti form Warn. i would have gone 12000 but my bumper wouldnt hold (fit) it. the bigger the winch the better. not because you need all that pulling power all the time, but because you dont always want your winch working at its limits. if i add a snatch block to my winch and make sure im using one of the lower layers of the drum then my winch is always going to be doing a EASY job and not having to work hard at all. but if i always just use a single point recovery every time just because i have a 8000lb or more winch i will be putting unnecessary wear on my winch AND battery. why make it have to pull so hard?

your winch will last longer if you take the time to rig in another snatch block and get a winch that is just a little more than you really need. trust me on this. i have had quite a bit of experience with winching. it will pay off in the long run. your winch will last longer and will have an easier life. pushing winches to their limits all the time can wear em down pretty good. guys that rig properly and over estimate resistance and under estimate the power they have will have winches that last a life time.

6. Feb 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    [​IMG]

XRC8 lifting!

7. Apr 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    Three points to add to this thread:

1. Another way of looking at the benefit of using a Snatch Block is that it cuts the workload in half, i.e., pulling 5000 lbs becomes 2500 lbs by using a Snatch Block. It's the same thing as using a pulley, anytime a pulley is used, the workload is cut in half. As GJBonner said, a Snatch Block reduces wear on the winch, no matter what brand.

2. Brand loyalty is always going to influence a person's opinion. The same reason most of us here picked our Tacomas (or Toyotas), we like them for our own personal reasons. Just because some winches are made by less popular brands doesn't make them ineffective. Yes, you do get what you paid for, but that could be a good thing. If you winch less often, the money saved on the right winch for YOUR purposes allows money to be spent on other things. You could get the highest priced winch and never use it, is that money well spent or a good investment?

3. Bill Burke offers a great course (I attended one in my FJ), and he is not brand biased. Granted, he is a consultant with Superwinch, but he also consults for Toyota (particularly on the FJ). That said, in his course, he talks about the benefits of all vehicles and equipment, but he also highlights the shortcomings for the same. He's even a columnist for 4WD Toyota Owners Mag. There's a reason that in 4WD Circles, when he talks, people tend to listen.

Just my $0.02

8. Apr 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    my dad saws nothing beat a WARN. we have a warn RT30 on are rhino i have had it completely under water and mud! and has taken hit from ice that was prob 5 inch thick! and it still works like it did the day we put it on. got it in september '10. dad has used Ramsey with work and saws they hard ever work when you really need it! Warn make some great water tight winches!!

9. Apr 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    chazjb

chazjb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport

$400??? ouch. I got mine for just under $300. But yes I have a XRC8 and have used it once so far and it worked great.

10. Apr 3, 2011 at 3:32 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing [OP] BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i have had my xrc 8 for about a year n a half i have used it many times...no problems.....
    i even used it for 3 + hours straight.....and she never let me down........

11. Apr 3, 2011 at 3:54 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    WARN12K POWER PLANT best that money can buy unless you can wait till i get back from afghanistan lol i have a few warn 16k winches brand new coming back with me

12. Apr 3, 2011 at 4:02 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics

omfg somebody finally understands the concept of a snatch block lol holly hell, ok im in the army infantry and we go places were we get mraps stuck all the time and they always want to winch em well we only have 16k winches on em and the cables will only take 10k i always say hey use the snatch block or double up on winches nobody wants to listen so far 13 broken cables two fried winches and a million laughs cause im always right lol

13. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    Way to go 03Taco, 11B all the way. Goes to show, the Infantry Guys are intelligent, yet are not listened to very much, LOL. Bet there's a lot of vehicles stuck at Polk, not just the MRAPS. BTW, thanks for your service in these tumultuous times and stay safe.

14. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    Hey Chazjb, $400.00 isn't really all that bad, if his is the Comp Series ($400.00 for the XRC8 Comp is below the average price), which has the Synthetic Line. An extra $100.00 for the Synthetic seems like a great deal. I just ordered an XRC10 Comp from 4WD Hardware for $549.00, but there was a $50.00 Rebate, Free Cover and Shipping, so my actual cost is just $499.00, not bad in my mind. The Rebates have ended, but they still have free shipping, and as fait would have it, they offered me a protection plan for $70.00 that if anything goes wrong as long as I own it, to include the line breaking, they will send a replacement part or new winch. So far, they have earned my business in the future.

Their published prices are:
    XRC8 $299.00
    XRC8 Comp $449.00
    XRC10 $399.00
    XRC10 Comp $549.00

And before it's asked, I know a lot of people swear by the XRC8, I only chose the XRC10 Comp for the extra available power, I'd rather have and not need than to need and not have. Besides, with the deal I got, $200.00 more for 2000 lbs more capacity (vs. the XRC8), Synthetic Line, and a Cover, not bad.

15. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    chazjb

chazjb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Sport

True... i didnt think about the Comp series. There was the same rebate when I got mine so the winch alone was only $250 but once i purchased the extra protection plan for $25 and snatch block for $25 it was a total of $300.

I didnt buy my winch for the brand alone I bought mine for the purpose it was going to be used for and for how often. I agree with the statement "if you dont use the winch all the time then why pay more?"

Products Discussed in

To Top