1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review on Bakflip G2 bed cover for Tacoma

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by burncycle2000, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Nov 9, 2008 at 2:22 AM
    burncycle2000

burncycle2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Double Cab Sport
    Bull Bar, Side Steps, Wet Okole Seatcovers, Bridgstone Revo tires, Heavy Duty Rubber floor mats, TRD Sports Package, BAKflip bed cover, 6 disc cd changer, Tinted windows, K&N air filter, wired in tailgate lock
    I just installed my new Bakflip Generation 2 (G2) bed cover for my 06 long bed Tacoma. Since I looked at so many different options before I bought the Bakflip I thought I would write up a review on the Bakflip... but this is my opinion.

First, I decided on the Bakflip, because my experience with soft tonneau covers was not that great. They fade in the sun and usually need to be rolled up which was a pain.

Here are the Pros :thumbsup:. I like the concept of the Bakflip because you can flip one section up like a trunk of a car and with the help of a bed separator you can use it that way (great for groceries). See what I mean at www.bakfliptonneaucover.com. I also like that the cover is flush and matches the rest of the bed, it's very sturdy and well designed. It's also water proof, but there are gaps in certain places.

Here are the Cons :mad:. The Bakflip cover cost me $630.00 which is a bit on the pricey side. In fact here's a tip. Tons of companies sell this cover from several different prices. I called Bakflip directly and actually negotiated for the cheapest price I could find on the net including free shipping. Here is the bummer that I didn't realize. You lose your railing system installing this cover. Also, if you want to use the drain hoses you have to drill holes. Finally, the material that the cover is made out of is good, but the quality of the cuts of the rubber trim is messy.

One last final thought. Ebay is selling the G1 version of this cover for less money. According to the woman at Bakflip the G1 had a lot of problems and the G2 was totally revamped and is a better design.

I'm going to add some pics later. I hope this helps.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 9, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    how long was the install?

3. Nov 9, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    burncycle2000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bull Bar, Side Steps, Wet Okole Seatcovers, Bridgstone Revo tires, Heavy Duty Rubber floor mats, TRD Sports Package, BAKflip bed cover, 6 disc cd changer, Tinted windows, K&N air filter, wired in tailgate lock
    It took me a while, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes doing my mods. All and all it was a couple of hours.

4. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    burncycle2000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well... I have one more Con to add to this review. This is the first time I've had it in some serious rain and this cover is NOT water proof. I would say it's more like water resistant. I even drilled larger drainage holes and connected the drainage tubes at the front of the cover for better drainage. According to the site and their video the bed stays bone dry in rain... this is NOT true.

My final verdict: there are many flip style bed covers out there, but the Bakflip G2 is pricey first and foremost, you lose your railing system for install, and does not fully protect your bed from the elements. Keep hunting and let me know what you find.

5. Dec 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Nice write up, to bad I have another one installed already.

6. Dec 3, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    nice write up, thanks. i was all set to get the G2, now i guess i will have to look a little further. thanks

7. Dec 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    fendertweed

fendertweed Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma base
    we've had a G2 on our Tacoma for a year and are very happy with it... not completely waterproof but good enough for our use (my wife's garden design/maint. business).

8. Dec 12, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    does anyone have an idea where the water comes in from? is it a situation where some additional weatherstripping or something like that would solve the problem?

9. Dec 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    papipapo

papipapo The Rookie

Member:
    Long Island, New York
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Bak Flip g2
    Have the same issue. Water comes in thru the first fold ( Counting from tailgate toward the Cab). The company sent me a new weatherstripping because they claimed it was installed improperly. Still Leakey. Also leaks from the cab end.

10. Dec 24, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    PropJet

PropJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    I just ordered the Advance Cover G3 Supra two days ago. Like the Bakflip cover, it is a hard tonneau that has 4 foldable sections. I had an earlier version of this cover on my last truck and loved it. In 3 1/2 years, it didn't leak any water at all. The only negative was that it used the bed rail system, so the functionality of that system suffered some. However, with the new G3 supposedly it no longer uses the bed rail system, so that is a big plus. Like the OP mentioned, I set my cargo divider about 18" from the tailgate, and I just had to open the last section of the cover to throw things like groceries in the bed, close the cover, and it was completely secured like a trunk.

I'll have to post how the new version, the G3, performs when I get it.

11. Dec 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    has anyone reviewed the roll up cover? i want one, but thats a large purchase

12. Dec 31, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    CAdiveTaco

CAdiveTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Taco DC LB Pre Runner TRD Sport
    Bed Extender, Bed matt, G4 Fold-a-cover, debadged, locked spare, taigate hoe clamp mod, TW stick
    Hey guys-
    Has anyone else looked into the G4 Elite Fold a cover
    http://www.foldacover.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx
    The new model is specifically for the 05-08 Tacoma and allow the use of the rail system. Not cheap by any means at $750 installed from a local dealer here in Calif. I did not like the hard lids as they did not offer much flexibility, the folding styles as previously mentioned have lots of flexibility to storing stuff on the fly.
    I dive for the Sheriffs dept so I need to carry my gear with me and having multiple compartments for tanks and equipment make it easier.
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the new G4 mounts on top of the bed caps with 3M double adhesive tape, not sure how strong that stuff is over time.
    ClaeTA

13. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    burncycle2000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have one more con for the Bakflip G2. The edges that are cut for the major folds are not painted and have ruff edges. The problem is, when I flip the cover over time it begins to cut into the rubber that the main sections are folding onto due to the ruff edges. I plan on fixing this by buying some touch up paint and coating all the cut edges.

These are things that you notice over time. Sadly I'm dissapointed because Bakflip could easily fix this issue.

14. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I also have a G2. I bought it in August, 2008 for $580. It had a big gap at the tailgate. I called BAK industries and Ivan, the owner, sent me some weather strippping, and that worked great. I have no problem with water leakage. I have a bed liner, and I simply tuck the draing tubes under the liner. I also find the edges unfinished and sharp. The other negative is the bed rails get covered. I have thought about bolting on some Unistrut using the tonneau cover's bolts, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure if there is enough clearance to get the Unistrut on. I guess the only way to find out is to buy a small piece and try it out. One more thing I like about the G2 is that it completely flips out of the way (Against the cab window) without having to remove it. If I had to remove it, it is rather simple to do. I have thought about roll-up covers, but the canister takes up 12 to 14 inches of the box. I have a 5 foot box, and cannot afford to lose that space.

15. Feb 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    So all in all, Bakflip covers are still garbage... :thumbsup:

16. Feb 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    I wouldn't call it garbage. I rather like mine, and how it functions, giving me full access to the box if I need it without having to remove it. It locks down quite securely. It just could be a little better finished on the edges.

17. Feb 24, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    When you remove the BakFlip G2 cover is there still bracketry that covers your side rails? I want to know if you take the whole cover off to facilitate larger cargo if you can still use the factory tie downs on the bed rail.

18. Feb 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    The pics on there website look good.. and make me interessted just not for the price mention in the OP

19. Feb 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    rcrick263

rcrick263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road 6spd
    None

When you do the quick remove, the cover just comes off from the bed cover rails in two places near the cab. So your bed cover rails would still be attached to your bed, and the bed cover rails cover up your original side tie down rails. So in order to have access to your tie down rails you would have to remove the bed cover rails as well. (I believe it's three bolts for each rail)

However you will have access to your front tie down rail by doing the quick remove only.

20. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    ComaTosin

ComaTosin The Not So New guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 PreRunner
    see my sig
    have been researching this and other products to make the best possible decision on my purchase of a new tonneau for my 06 taco DC SB. Ran across this and thought people would find it interesting (esp those who hate this product - might like that direct email addy!!). happy reading......

Hello all,

My name is Julian Maimin and I am the owner of BAK Industries.

After reading many comments and questions on this site about BakFlip, I thought I would share the most up to date information on BakFlip G2 with all of you.

After sending out a few thousand BakFlip G1 covers between Feb and June of this year, we unfortunately came to find out that many of the components used were ultimately failing. This was largely a result of defective rubber seals / 3M adhesive combination which we only found out about due to failures in the market. There were a few issues with gas struts as well on the G1, which put an uneccessary amount of strain on the covers, but the seals seemed to be the primary plaguing issue.

After much hair pulling, frustration and effort, I, along with my key staff sat down and decided to re-engineer the BakFlip from top to bottom, rather than try to put a bandage on the G1. The result is the BakFlip G2 which we introduced late in July of this year.

The new G2 is a far more robust product. The first change made was to the seals. Rather than rely on adhesives, we redesigned the panel frames to accommodate a rubber seal that applied with a tongue and groove design. Kind of like a lock and key. The rubber is fed onto the frames and has resulted in a superb finish which is as strong as nails and absolutely cannot fail.

Next we got away from having to use any tools. All you need now is a single wrench. The install is far shorter and the components used are professional grade knobs etc.

We also changed the Aluminum on the cover, adding 28% more aluminum. The result is heavier panels. In addition the aluminum panel frames have no tape under them. The design underneath encompasses integrated drains, rendering the G2 almost 100% water-tight.

The gas struts never did lock properly on the G1 and as mentioned, put unecessary strain on the unit. We therefor changed to a locking arm-stay on each side. This puts no pressure on the cover and will also keep the cover locked in place so you can drive with it open.

The latches under the cover are now modular. They can be slid fom side to side which allows a real tweaking of the locking feature if required.

All in all, the new BakFlip G2, although similar looking in appearance, has undergone a complete overhail. The result is a phenominal cover that will surely walk away with most awards in it's category this year at SEMA.

I have posted a video of the G2 on YouTube at the following link: [/URL]

I invite all of you to review it and share your comments and suggestions with me at my personal e mail address : julian@bakliner.com

I'd like to leave you with an assurance that I, along with my entire coimpany is 100% dedicated to producing the finest truck bed covers on the market. If we are not, I need to hear about it. I believe in this new G2 with all of my being and trust that you will as well.

Thank you all for the support you've shown over the years and thank you for your honesty. It's allowed us to make a brilliant product.

Kindest regards,

Julian Maimin - CEO
    BAK Industries
    7307 Coldwater Canyon Ave.
    N. Hollywood CA 91605
    (818) 764-0031 Fax (818) 764-4750
    bak_home.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top