Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/)
-   -   ipod adapter for stock stereo (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/18983-ipod-adapter-stock-stereo.html)

Smurfio18 11-15-2008 09:50 PM

ipod adapter for stock stereo

Just installed a USA-SPEC Model # PA15-TOY ipod adapter in my 2006 Taco ( Stock single disc Stereo). First, the installation was easy. Remove stereo from housing- Plug in supplied cord into back of stereo unit, run cord to glove box-done. The Module makes your stock stereo thinks its connected to a CD changer so it will work with all second gen taco stereos even if you don't have a SAT/Aux button. The display will read out track title and artist. Sound quality is great and the module has an additional aux input (RCA) for any additional devices you want to connect. I paid $140 for the unit and couldn't be happier with it.

05TRDTACO 11-15-2008 11:08 PM

I have the same one and I couldn't agree more! I'm using it on the stock 6 disc changer and it works great! I used to have the Peripheral and this one is much much better! The only thing I wish that it did and this is not a very big deal, but if it displayed the album as well as the track and artist that would be awesome. Other than that it is a perfect kit. Got mine for $140 as well.

Brunes 11-16-2008 04:54 AM

I'll plus this one up- I bought two- One for each car and I'm super happy that I did.

Delrivpilot 11-16-2008 06:49 AM

Quick question. Why didn't you spend that money on an aftermarket radio that had sat and an auxilary port for your ipod? I have been going back and forth with what setup to go with.

chris4x4 11-16-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delrivpilot (Post 247814)
Quick question. Why didn't you spend that money on an aftermarket radio that had sat and an auxilary port for your ipod? I have been going back and forth with what setup to go with.

I got the same unit, and am REALLY happy with it. I bought this as opposed to replaceing the HU, because Im faily happy with the sound of the factoy radio, and wanted to keep the steering wheel controls.

Brunes 11-16-2008 06:54 AM

I'm happy with the sound I get from the stock stereo. I may swa[ it out someday- but right now...I'd rather spend my mod money somewhere else.
For 150 bucks this lets me listen to my iPod- I'm pretty sure that I'd be in for a bit more than that if I bought a new head unit. (I like to do things right the first time- so it'd be a GPS, double din replacement- not just some 100 dollar unit from walmart with an iPod cable)

Also- Techinally speaking the "aux" port would plug into your iPod int he headphone jack- That means you can play your iPod over the stereo, but have no control. An iPod adapter (like this one) or an iPod cable on an iPod ready stereo will give you control of the iPod thru the stereo head unit.

That was just my motivation...If you've got the cash for it- Get a new head unit with iPod cable and I'm sure you won't be disaapointed (as long as you do your research before you buy)

Delrivpilot 11-16-2008 07:02 AM

Good arguement. I haven't priced it yet, but would like to get one of the 09 units that have the sat built in. Was hoping to find someone looking to dump theirs if they were upgrading. THat adaptor sounds pretty good if it displays the track and artist on the stock radio. THanks for the info:D

cheehab 11-16-2008 07:57 AM

The PA15 is the best accessory I have bought for my truck. The main reason I got mine is to keep the interior looking totally stock and throw out my FM modulator. I ran my PA15 to the center console and into the center storage box so my ipod basically stays there all the time. I know a lot of people have theirs run to to the glove compartment, but I like the easy access of the center console. It charges the ipod and plays music at the same time. It took like 30 minutes to install, and if you looked at the interior of my truck, you would never know that it was there.

chris4x4 11-16-2008 03:23 PM

I keep mine in the little cubby on the left side of the dash:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b.../PA15-TOY1.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...4/PA15-TOY.jpg

Smurfio18 11-18-2008 08:14 PM

I have one amendment to my previously stated review. I still love the module but if you get one be sure and disconnect your ipod after use or it will drain the battery.

chris4x4 11-18-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smurfio18 (Post 251230)
I have one amendment to my previously stated review. I still love the module but if you get one be sure and disconnect your ipod after use or it will drain the battery.

Hmmmm, I have had mine plugged in for the last few months. No dead battery yet. :confused:
If it kills it, I guess I'll get an Orbital. :D

Janster 11-18-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 251232)
Hmmmm, I have had mine plugged in for the last few months. No dead battery yet. :confused:
If it kills it, I guess I'll get an Orbital. :D

It might actually be true. Keeping it plugged in might reduce the battery life.

I had a Nano that I had plugged into my truck all the time. After a couple years of that - I retired the nano to fitness usage only (laugh). The battery doesn't last all that long. It's gotta be from that....not fully discharging it before charging it.

Now I have an 80 gig that's hooked up to my truck ALL the time. In fact, it lives in the truck..

grantfire319 12-15-2008 04:45 PM

good info

A.D. 01-29-2009 10:19 PM

A couple of quick questions on this old topic, if you guys don't mind. Where did you guys mount the module? Are the cords provided long enough to place the module somewhere well hidden and still place the ipod in a convenient location? I know the install looks easy, but what did it take you, like 20 mins? Thanks guys.

chyknees 01-29-2009 11:01 PM

I have my old one placed in the little area behind the dash, right next to the glove box. Cable seemed long enough to run to different places.

The USA-Spec Ipod adapter is good for what it is. Used to love mine, until my friend plugged in her Zune. Don't do that! lol, it'll start to load, then fry the box. Just a fore-warning to everything lol.

A.D. 02-05-2009 03:55 PM

Well i got mine in and have it temp installed. I have the cable routed to a nice location where you don't notice, but i temporarily have the module mounted in the glovebox. I haven't found a good location to permanently mount it yet, i will do it tonight though, and i'll post up some pics.

Runamuk 03-04-2009 06:10 PM

Anyone know if these will work with an Iphone? By the way I'm digging chris4x4's location, hidden and you don't have to reach across the truck to dig it out of the glove box. Maybe put a bit of padding in there so it don't rattle...perfect.

Brunes 03-04-2009 06:15 PM

Yeah- The USA-Spec website says it'll work with an iPhone- you'll probably have to specify what you are going to use it with so you get the right cable.

And yeah...It only charges the iPod for 1 hour after you turn the car off- so you gotta turn the Pod off manually- I don't think it'll do anything to the battery cause it don't charge all the time- but just gets it completely discharged...So when you charge it again- No biggie.

chris4x4 03-04-2009 06:44 PM

I never turn mine off....Hell, I only take my Ipod out only to load more music in it. Otherwise, Its in my Truck all the time. :)

IlovethePinkTacos 03-05-2009 09:16 PM

This is the thread i have been looking for. Im convinced after reading this one...im going to have to order the USA-SPEC Model # PA15-TOY

Thanks guys