1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reviews/opinions Best headlight bulb other than HIDs

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Rhino, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Dec 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    Rhino

Rhino [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    so guys whats your opinions on headlight bulbs and which one do you feel is the best?

2. Dec 25, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    LifeIsGood169

LifeIsGood169 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 5spd
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    I don't have a ton of experience with headlights, but this past month I got the sylvania xtravision (2003 tacoma - 9004 bulb). I can tell you it is 1000x brighter than my worn out stock bulbs & maybe 10-20% brighter than a brand new stock bulb. I've heard they wear out within a year. Honestly for the side road light difference I don't think I care. It was $18 including tax at walmart in NY for a pair of bulbs. Stock bulbs were $11+ 8% tax.

I will tell you stay away from anything with a "cool" blue coating on the bulb. Anything but clear glass is going to reduce light output. I didn't notice a huge light increase from trying the sylvania ultra 50% more powerful bulbs in an old toyota avalon. So this time I stuck with clear coated bulbs. Can't go wrong with stock or the Xtra-vision in my opinion.

If you want more light get some aftermarket lights. U can find some average ones for like $20-$40. Just aim them right or recess the light if it scatters & you'll have brighter headlights. I use some cheap @$$ 55w H3 halogen bulbs from a fan fixture. Was like $15 for the bulbs and a switch lmao.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Rhino

Rhino [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
  4. Apr 7, 2013 at 2:39 AM
    NHTacoma

NHTacoma Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 V6
    You mean 9003.....

Products Discussed in

To Top