1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need feedback on a welding outfit

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by LizellaFella, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Hopefullly someone here has bought this outfit, knows someone who has, or even a Northern Tools employee who might have knowledge of returns and customer complaints.

I'm looking at the two listed items for light welding projects around the house. Item numbers are 25494 and 20462 at the northern tools website.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...isSearch=25494

I believe the stick welder will be fine, but my question is regarding the tig attachment. The description states, "steel and stainless".

I question if I can I use this torch attachment for aluminum. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I know its a cheap setup, but for the amount of welding I'll do, I can't see the higher priced wire feed jobs.

TIA

LF

2. Jul 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Dirty Jersey

Dirty Jersey Rich

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab - White
    Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Custom Fit Bed Mat, Cargo Net for Long Bed, All Weather OEM Floor Mats, MX Grillcraft Grill, Bully Tailgate Lock, Mini Mag Center Console Mod, SockMonkey 3rd Brakelight Cover, Lots of Love
    I order to use it for aluminum you have to reverse the polarities, use an inert gas rig and buy the right stinger

3. Jul 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya... The Tig option is nice. Generally, a 20-90a stick unit isn't worth a crap.
    I've got a Clark 95e and I haven't touched it since I got my wirefeed.

For 120v units, fluxcore wirefeed is the only thing hot enough to work... and no stainless or aluminum with that.

But... I've never done Tig, so beyond the polarity issue, and the fact that you must have the proper shielding gas, I have no idea about the amperage needed for general Tig work... but I do know that aluminum takes a LOT more heat than steel because it is such a good thermal conductor.

4. Jul 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    You need more amps (About double) to do aluminum and I believe high frequency. That is a Tig for steel not aluminum. There is more to aluminum than reversing the polarity. It's also a DC machine you weld aluminum with AC.

This would be the lowest end machine that would do aluminum. From what I have heard from people that tig aluminum this is at the lower end of amperage on the machines top end. It only has a 20% duty cycle at 180 amps. You will want to use straight argon for aluminum.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200520339_200520339

Products Discussed in

To Top