1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BakFlip VP Installation Question

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Divot, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Divot

Divot [OP] Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner V6 SR5 DC
    BakFlip VP Tonneau, Pop and Lock Power Lock
    Just installed the BakFlip VP tonneau cover on my 2012 double cab (5' bed). All is pretty good except I'd like it to be about a 1/4" more forward, closer to the cab, however the mounting knobs are pushed all the way forward in the bracket slots. The rails are installed as far forward as possible.

Has anyone run into this?

2. Oct 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Pictures would be nice and how do you like it so far??? I'm considering buying this for mine very soon. Maybe we could get together so I could take a look at it.

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    Divot

Divot [OP] Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner V6 SR5 DC
    Sorry for the delay. Been on vacation.

Here is the Bakflip BP installed.
    [​IMG]

Fully open
    [​IMG]

The mounting bracket I mentioned is at the end of the rail. You can see the screw knob just below it. The bracket has a slot that runs front to rear. The cover/screw is pushed all the way forward in the slot.
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    That cover looks really good! How well does it keep water at bay and what is your overall impressions of it now since having installed?

I'd still like to see it sometime....:eek:

5. Dec 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    lightinglark956

lightinglark956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    k&n cai ,flowmaster series 40 single in dual out with custom dual exhaust out the back with 4 in ss cans ,backflip vp tonneau Blackhorse stainless bulbar ,35% tint front and rear,rainguards ,glovebox console organizer,ome 887's ,Dakar rear leaf package ,ome nitro charger schocks ,lr uca's ,diaz devil horn emblem,goodrich ext brake lines
    yes i did had to use a burr bit on a drill to make the groove in the mounting bracket longer towards the front so i could slid it forward move and did away with the know screws it came with and used 5/16 18 bolts 1 inch long

6. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    lightinglark956

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    k&n cai ,flowmaster series 40 single in dual out with custom dual exhaust out the back with 4 in ss cans ,backflip vp tonneau Blackhorse stainless bulbar ,35% tint front and rear,rainguards ,glovebox console organizer,ome 887's ,Dakar rear leaf package ,ome nitro charger schocks ,lr uca's ,diaz devil horn emblem,goodrich ext brake lines
    yes had to use a burr bit to make the slot longer an use 5/16 18 bolts 1 inch long instead of the knobs that came with it

7. Jan 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Father

Father Active Member

Member:
    Not sure I understand why it needs to be forward still. Are you not getting a good seal?

I noticed you don't have the drain tube running from the corner of the cover into the bed. Did you opt not to do that or did this model not require that?

8. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    lightinglark956

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    because on the VP mounting holes are pre drilled with threaded inserts where the g2 you drill the holes ,which the enclosed directions must have been for a g2 . in order to line the cover up with the track so it will at least look somewhat decent and match up and be centered (lengthwise) on the bed so the seals made contact at the ends .hadn't put drain tubes on yet in the video for the VP that was one of the selling points was didn't need a drain tube hogwash had to use it .i am not drilling a 3/4 in hole in my bed so i followed another tip on here and used a 1/2 to 1/4 elbow and put 1/4 in tubing thru the stock drain holes

9. Jan 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Divot

Divot [OP] Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    12 Prerunner V6 SR5 DC
    The reason I want the cover to sit a little more forward is that the seal sticks out over the top of the tailgate amd it could stand to have more overlap at the cab end to better direct water between the cab and bed.

I didn't install the drain tubes (optional on the VP) initially to see how it worked. I get just a little leakage into the bed, but nothing worth concern. I have a bed mat any any water that comes in goes down the side of the bed and under the mat. Nothing on the mat has gotten wet.

10. Jan 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    lightinglark956

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    thats why i wanted mine forward also so i used a burr bit to elongate the mounting tabs a littke more to the front ans since i wont be taking mine on and off i used a one inch long 5/16 by 18 thread to mount it so the knob wont hit .and its almost even with the tracks

11. Jan 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Father

Father Active Member

Member:
    Do the parts lock in place so they're not bouncing around if you drive with only open? Or is it all or nothing?

Like if I folded the back/tailgate piece does it lock into the next part?

12. Jan 24, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    lightinglark956

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    springfield il
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma trd offroad
    it has D rings so you can use bungie cords to hold it or if you open all panels it has an adjustable support rod on each side to prop them open and hold them to drive with it open it does block view out rear window when they are all open

Products Discussed in

To Top