1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BakFlip Roll-X

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Onion27, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jan 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Onion27

Onion27 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner
    Does anyone have one? Thinking about getting one. Looking for that lockable storage for larger items; i.e. stroller. Only issue that I can possibly see is that you have to remove the track off the bed behind the cab.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Onion27

Onion27 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner
    Anyone at least have any opinions?

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:05 AM
    Brian AutoCustoms

Brian AutoCustoms Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ocala, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Double Cab
    I don't own one but the boss has one on his Tundra. He loves the Roll-X, even better than the Bakflip covers.

With the Bakflip, he hates the fact that if the cover is folded up against the cab, you can't use the rear view mirror. The Roll-X doesn't go above the head rests if you have a back seat.

Also if you want to just drop the tailgate and put something in the bed, you have to open a Bakflip before closing the tailgate again.

Just some subtle nuances but it annoyed him. He normally wants the Roll-X on his truck. (we're always putting new covers on his Tundra to shoot review and install videos).

The Roll-X will have a great low profile look with a vinyl top - same as the Bakflip VP which I have on my truck. Check out some of the images if you haven't seen them - Tacoma VP Images.

4. Jul 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Eeyore

Eeyore Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Short Bed TRD-Off Road
    None yet.
    I'm thinking about getting a Roll-X for my 2012 but before I do I'm looking for some information. If I put one on my truck will I no longer be able to use the factory bed rail system? How weather proof are they? I live in the desert so I'm looking for something that can keep most if not all of the dirt and sand away from my gear.

5. Jul 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    MNStealth13Taco

MNStealth13Taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, MN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black DCSB TRD Sport
    TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust System TRD Quickshifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Rear View Mirror Lift Bracket Katzkin Leather w/Heat and Ventilation BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover OEM Tacoma Bed Mat OEM Bed Extender Pop and Lock Power Tailgate Lock Smoke Weathertech Window Vents Black Weathertech DigitalFits 50%F/35%B Tint 265/60R18 Silent Armor Tires on 18" XD Monster Wheels Black Luverne BullBar and BajaStep
    Yes, you won't be able to use the factory rail system anymore as the cover uses the rail system to mount to the truck. As far as I've been told they are water proof so I would assume you should be good with dirt. I'm having one put on my 2013 DCSB later this week. I'll report back after that.

6. Aug 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    Eeyore

Eeyore Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Short Bed TRD-Off Road
    None yet.
    OK, sounds good. I look foward to reading what you have to say.

7. Aug 10, 2013 at 4:32 AM
    rbenner89

rbenner89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    if you check some sites that sell the roll-x it says it uses the bed rails for install. it also says that "replacement tie downs available" part PN [406TD] anybody have any more info?

8. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    MNStealth13Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, MN
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger TRD Exhaust System TRD Quickshifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Rear View Mirror Lift Bracket Katzkin Leather w/Heat and Ventilation BAK Roll-X Tonneau Cover OEM Tacoma Bed Mat OEM Bed Extender Pop and Lock Power Tailgate Lock Smoke Weathertech Window Vents Black Weathertech DigitalFits 50%F/35%B Tint 265/60R18 Silent Armor Tires on 18" XD Monster Wheels Black Luverne BullBar and BajaStep
    Alright I'm back. Sorry for the delay, I finally got my truck and I've been out enjoying it so much I haven't had time to come back for this. :burnrubber: Anyway, as promised:

My initial impression is this tonneau cover really looks amazing. The install is as easy as it gets (they have an install video on the BAK website for our trucks specifically). It works really well. Put the tailgate down, pull either side line and it pops up releasing the cover security mechanism on each side and roll it up easily. It is sturdy, but I wouldn't trust more than about 50-75 pounds on it for extended periods of time (BAK states 400 pounds evenly distributed but 50 pounds in the center will drop the center somewhere between 3/4" to 1'). On the other hand it is strong enough that it doesn't have the typical tonneau flap when driving. When driving down the highway it stays eerily calm.

I had to slightly modify mine to fit the truck correctly. The drivers side security mechanism bracket was about a 1/4 to long and rubbed the bed front and tailgate which didn't allow it to properly work initially. Took a quick grinder to it and pulled a little of each end and everything was good. I'm assuming this doesn't happen often so I wouldn't worry about it.

Couple of other observations:
    1. I've noticed is that when the truck has been out in the sun, this thing gets extremely hot. I thought I could roll it up and the underside would be OK to touch but the aluminum was hotter than the black vinyl top. This only matters on really hot days (90+deg) with direct sunlight.
    2. At the tailgate, the bed sides has a quarter round turn for the body line that the rail does not follow. The rail stays straight and doesn't completely match this curve. It would have been better to have a rounded corner on the cover rail in the rear but it doesn't seem to bother me after using it a few days.
    3. All the pictures of this tonneau I saw online didn't show how the cover is actually below the bed side top sills. The bracket lowers inside the bed and the top of the tonneau cover is actually on a lower platform. So the sides of the bed are above the cover so water can't just stream off the side of your bed box, It channels to the back. I still haven't seen any water enter the bed though. Again didn't bother me but just something I wasn't expecting. A picture would really do this justice and I'll try to remember to get a couple posted on TW in the near future but it'll probably be on my build thread which I plan on starting in the next couple days here.
    4. The cover has two BAK badges on the top that I didn't realize would be there until I unrolled the cover. Looking back at the videos online they are there though. They look good and are riveted on but I just didn't know they were there.

Overall: for me, this cover and the pop'n'lock electric tailgate lock are a killer combo and give a nice warm and fuzzy secure feeling about the objects in the tailgate. I would recommend 100%.

Hope this helps!

9. Aug 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    rbenner89

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    thanks for the review MNStealth13Taco
    the roll-x goes in the bed rail channels to install correct? can u still use any of the rail cleats with the roll x? also, where did u end up ordering and what was the cost? does it have drainage tubes like the bak flip for water?

thanks again

10. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    MNStealth13Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, MN
    Vehicle:
    No problem.

No other bed rail accessories will work while the tonneau rails are installed as they cover the side bed rail channels completely and the front one needs to be removed.

I ordered mine through a local accessory shop and paid more than I should have... You can find them on Amazon.com and carid.com for cheaper. I would suggest looking there.

It doesn't have drainage tubes, the top of the tailgate on my truck is lower than the bed sides by 1/2 or so. The tonneau rails can drain the water out the back over the tailgate. It seems to seal up pretty nicely. It has rained twice and I've been through a car wash since getting this installed and I didn't see any sign of water under it.

11. Aug 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    MNStealth13Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Rochester, MN
    Vehicle:
    I don't have these yet (BAK 406TD) but they look like they just replace one of the washers between the bed rail and tonneau mounting rails. I'm sure they won't be as good or as strong as the factory cleats though.

12. Aug 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    rbenner89

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    thanks again for all the good info, much appreciated

13. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    I want the Roll-X but it's quite pricey. I do like the fact that it's an all metal roll cover. and what I like is that when it locks the latch clamps down on the sides all the way to the cab making it hard to pry it with hands. I have the bakflip and the thing I hate about it is when I haul things and have it open all the way. Can't see anything in the rear view mirror. that's a pain in the ass when I drive up the mountains with my bikes in the back and can't see what's behind me. Wish BaK industries would do like a trade-in program or something. Already spent almost $600 on the original bakflip which cracked, however the own of bakflip did replace it with an all metal version which was really cool of him.

14. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    rbenner89

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    For all those considering a roll-x: really like it.
    few pics to see it in action. Got it from headstrongoffroad.com when they had a sale under the "deals & coupons" last month. great company.

IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg

15. Sep 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    How is the cover secured when it's rolled back against the window? Straps?

16. Sep 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    rbenner89

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    One strap on each side, just clicks in and pull it tight.
    in the 2nd photo look at the 2 corners near the cab and you can see where it clicks in.

17. Sep 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Thanks

18. Sep 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    RigidTaco

RigidTaco Bearded Bandit

Member:
    Cremona, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Barcelona Red V6 SR5
    Will it work with one of those bed devidors? Trying to sort a way where I could hold my gear in place with the cover down.

19. Sep 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    rbenner89

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 man tran TRD SR5
    depends on how big the divider is. I have a bed extender that fits underneath to divide the bed space and it works with that. as long as you have some clearance i think it should work

20. Nov 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    GMC

GMC Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    rBenner, any updates on how water tight this is?

I am about to pull the trigger on one and wanted to know if you ever get water in the bed. If so, how much?

I have alot of equipment in mine and my Rugged Cover tri-fold is not cutting it

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top