1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LCE Performance Pro Clutch kit. (2TR Guys)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by BlackSeven, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven [OP] Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    https://www.lceperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1053084

I just (last night) buttoned up this install. I felt the need to write this review this morning.

My background: I have driven cars with every type of clutch known to man. Centerforce, ACT Unsprung Pucks, SPEC, RAM Dual disk, Exedy, etc.

The stock LUK clutch in the 2TR 2nd Gen Tacoma is quite possibly, the worst clutch I have ever had the displeasure to put my foot on. After 16k miles of use with 4.88's and 33's the pressure plate was done, and the clutch disk glazed over. The flywheel was fine but I couldn't make it up a hill without the clutch slipping I was livid.

This is a known warrranty covered issue with the LUK clutch equipped tacomas. I could have had toyota do the warranty work, but I wanted a superior pressure plate that could handle the 4.88's, 33's and up to 3500lbs of towing capacity.

I Ordered the clutch last friday and had it in my hands yesterday. Shipped from CA to MD. The clutch is made by Clutchmasters, not LCE. The kit comes with the standard array of pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch disk and alignment tool. I did not install the pilot bearing as I did not have the tools to do so, and the stock bearing was in good condition, not making any noise.

The first thing I noticed about this clutch kit is that the pressure plate fingers are thicker and wider then the factory pressure plate. It is slightly heavier then the factory unit. Also, the smaller and fewer springs on the clutch disk hub.

After the installation I found that I needed to adjust my clutch pedal slightly as the clutch was letting out at the very top of the stroke. Once adjusted I took it for a test drive. WOW. This is the clutch toyota should have put in from the factory.

The clutch grabs, and has a fair amount of pressure to operate. It's not too stiff, and definately nowhere near as soft as the factory pressure plate. The best way I can describe it: Solid.

First gear grabs and takes off, the shift into second can cause a little driveline shock when disengaging the clutch as the pressure plate does not have the same amount of springs as the factory disk. This is likely also a result of the clutch being new, once it's fully broken in I expect this to get better. Shifting 2-3-4-5 is like butter. It has a much better engagement feel with less slip, but not a true on/off engagement like a racing clutch.

With 4.88's being the best mod I've ever done to this truck, I would rate this clutch upgrade as number 2, and the doug thorley header as number 3. If you have a lifted Regular cab with a 5speed, you need to put this on your list of shit to do ASAP, before your truck leaves you on the side of the road. I was at least able to limp it back to the garage.

2. Dec 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    TBeers

TBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma DLX 3.4 4x4
    Hey Mike,

Mind giving us an update on the LCE clutch? How has it held up? How has it changed engagement characteristics after break in?

Thanks,

-Tom

3. Feb 19, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    My clutch also went out at 23,000 miles. Also a LUK set from Toyota. I changed to a PERFECTION brand kit from AUTOZONE. My transmission man recommended it. The pedal is quite a bit stiffer due to the pressure plate design. I do beleive that is what failed on the factory LUK clutches because my disc also still had lots of meat on it and it was polished because of a weak, soft pressure plate. I'm beginning to think that most any clutch is better than the original.

4. Jan 13, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    RyanTacoMC

RyanTacoMC 96 Tacoma LX (RIP)

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Base Access Cab 5-Lug RWD Manual
    4x4 Springs, QA1 TS703s, Rear Sway Bar, blah blah
    Back...from...the...dead...

Has this clutch held up? Is it still going strong? Or how long did it last?

FruitCakeBlake97 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top