1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Opinions - EZ Lift Topper Lift

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Ralston, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Jul 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Ralston

Ralston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Super White - 4x4 - TRD Off Road
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    angeldavid216 likes this.
  2. Jul 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    anybody...

3. Jul 23, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    Ralston

Member:
    High in the Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Bueller...

4. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
  5. Aug 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    skincer

skincer Member

Member:
    San Diego Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4WD TRD Off-Road
    I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to expand on it. I just discovered that EZLift product (https://www.topperezlift.com/) and it's really cool and maybe well worth the money, but not to me. I can't justify spending almost as much on the lifter as I spent on my camper shell only to use it a few times a year. So, I was thinking about building a much more primitive version that uses gas struts instead of electric actuators and I was inspired by what PHeller has posted here - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135430-Truck-Topper-Cap-Lift-for-camping/page2. I would build telescoping legs out of square tube (perhaps) and have them with struts attached mounted to the track inside the bed of my Taco. I haven't worked out how this would all work, but I think it might be viable. It looks like I can get struts for about $16 each here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9416k18/=yc97fs. What do you guys think?

6. Sep 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    I just found the Topper EZ Lift and matching tent kits on the ARE website. There are a few "camper packages" out there for these - some look pretty cheap while others seem overly complex - but the one ARE is selling looks like the best one for my needs.

ARE_6413910.jpg ARE_6512303.jpg ARE_7651465.jpg

I found this YouTube video showing how it all works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D85A7SWJFw

This could be just what I'm looking for. My truck is my everyday transportation, and I don't want a roof top tent up there unless I need it for camping. It looks like the tent kit can be removed easily for everyday truck stuff, and zipped or reattached with velcro when you want it. Spare gear could be carried on a topper-mounted roof rack as they claim that the lift can handle 900 lbs. Between that, a swing out tire carrier holding extra fuel, and the back of my access cab, that should be plenty of storage.

So I have two questions. In addition to wanting to know if you really can drive with the top in the up position, I would like to know how well the entire set-up would do off road when down. Let's say I need to do some moderate wheeling to get to the campsite - not a full rock crawl but some challenging trails. how would the struts and attachment points react to heavy shaking and bouncing?

Goober likes this.
  7. Sep 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM
    PaulK

PaulK Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Dublin, OH (but still a Pittsburgh guy)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Baja Access Cab
    I emailed ARE for answers to the above questions - can you drive with the topper in the up position, and how will the EZ Lift handle off road driving. Here's their response:

"Thanks for your interest in our products!! I am sorry, but no unfortunately you cannot drive with the EZ lift topper up. In regards to driving it should not be impacted when fully closed any more than a normal truck cap installation. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to email me them."

From a cargo hauling perspective, I don't see any point in a lift that provides more cargo clearance if I can't drive the truck once the cargo is loaded. So, the only advantage to this this is as a pop-up camper. Not worth drilling holes if I still have to remove the topper to haul tall stuff. If I still have to pull off the topper for hauling, I would just get a high clearance topper for camping and skip the lift, and then spend some of the leftover $1400 on a hoist system in the garage to help remove and store the topper when I don't want it on the truck.

http://www.hoister.com/productdetail.aspx?id=42928&taxid=646

WRDD Taco likes this.
  8. Sep 21, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    C2Tacoma

C2Tacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma
    3” Front / 2” Rear SST LIFT

Products Discussed in