1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Country 4in lift questions

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by SlimBo84, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Oct 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    SlimBo84

SlimBo84 [OP] Some Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Road
    ATO front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper w/ swing arm, AP sliders and front skid, ATO bed crossbars w/ Thule M.O.A.B. basket, Warn VR8000-s, 285/70R/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar, 17" XD Series wheels, Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ res., Fox 2.5 shocks w/ res., AP Expo leaf springs, extended rear breaklines, VIAIR HD OBA, 2x 9.5" HID LightForce, Rigid fog lights, and much more to come.
    After talking to friends and gathering some advice from TW, I have decided to not get a 6in lift but instead a 4in lift from Rough Country. With that said, I have not limited my options to just that brand. I will be adding CO's along with this lift and I have my eye on Fox shocks. There are 3 for my truck and I am not sure which one I will need. I am also not limited to that brand.

Does anyone have any suggestions for CO's or lifts?
    Experience with Rough country?
    Any other parts I will need, like UCAs, etc?

2. Oct 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    I wouldn't go with rough country. Looking at their kit they user spacers and blocks to gain lift, not the best way to lift. Also uses a drop bracket which require cutting out stock cross-member up front and welding/bolting in a new one that lowers ground clearance.

A 3" lift would be a better way to go imo. Fox, king, icon and others a known for good adjustable coilovers depending on your budget. An all around OME kit would be the best way to go for a lower budget. New coils and shocks up front and new leaf packs and shocks in the back. New UCAs will likely be needed for a 3" lift. Longer rear brake lines will likely be needed and something will probably need to be done with the exhaust where it exits from under the bed. Chopping it back or getting a relocate bracket should take care of it.

3. Oct 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    SlimBo84

SlimBo84 [OP] Some Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Road
    ATO front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper w/ swing arm, AP sliders and front skid, ATO bed crossbars w/ Thule M.O.A.B. basket, Warn VR8000-s, 285/70R/17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar, 17" XD Series wheels, Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ res., Fox 2.5 shocks w/ res., AP Expo leaf springs, extended rear breaklines, VIAIR HD OBA, 2x 9.5" HID LightForce, Rigid fog lights, and much more to come.
    I have been checking out ToyTech. I am looking at the Boss Suspension System. Options will be with the diff drop kit, 1.5in block for the rear (I just bought All-Pro Expo Leafs), Bilstein 5160 w/ remote res and the upgraded SPC Upper Control Arms. What do you think about that? I like it.

4. Oct 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    The BOSS suspension system seems like a better version of toyec's coilovers. I have toyecs coilovers and if I could do it again I would have gone with a different coilover. I'm happy with them but I could have gotten a much better set of coilovers for a little more. If you're going to spend that much money on an adjustable coilover I think you should look into fox, king, icon, and sway away. It will be a little more expensive but you will be getting better coilovers that can be rebuilt in the future. I've heard diff drop kits don't do much for 2nd gens so I personally wouldn't get one. I would try to avoid blocks if possible. The All-Pro expo leafs will provide around 4" of lift so I don't think you will need to add blocks. Bilstein 5160s seem to be a pretty good rear shocks. The SPC/Light Racing UCAs are good and are probably a good choice for your location. Exposed uniballs probably won't handle winter very well there where the SPC/Light Racing UCAs are sealed balljoints.

You checkout wheelersoffroad and downsouth motorsports as well and give them a call to tell them what you're trying to do.

Products Discussed in

To Top