1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Afe cold air intake help.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Andday, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Nov 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    Andday

Andday [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    "13 4x4 tacoma base model
    I have a "13 4x4 base model. I want to get the most power and mpg out of the engine so I was thinking of buying the afe stage 2 cai. Before buying it I want to hear a review from the people that already had this upgrade installed. Does it really do what it says it would do?!? :confused:

2. Nov 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    So what other people are saying (what I believe you have already read) is that the Tacoma comes from the factory with a cold air intake since the stock intake pulls air from the right front fender well. Just get an AFE Pro Dry S drop in filter and call it done. The reusable filter will flow better than stock paper filter and will save you $$$ in the long run since it's washable.

I had an AFE Stage 2 CAI with an AFE Pro Dry S filter. I pretty much paid $250+ for a glorified noise maker since it made the engine noise more noticible. I noticed no change in MPGs, and my butt dyno says I gained very little "umph" in the upper end of the RPM band, and lost some low end torque. I switched back to stock after 2 years with it.

To each his own, but this is my experience with an aftermarket CAI.

3. Nov 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    You won't see any increase in mpg with any intake, other than maybe a hot air intake during cold winters.

4. Nov 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I had an increase in MPG after I installed my AFE Stage 2 SI.

5. Nov 30, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    i have the AFE stage 2 prodry in my 4.0, 2013 double cab, this last trip to SC from WV i noticed 3MPG more during the trip, also with 500LBS of gear with me. if your not throttle happy, you will notice a gain.

6. Nov 30, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    This^^^

Products Discussed in

To Top