1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bug shield/wind deflector: worth it?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Kampers3, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    Kampers3

Kampers3 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner TRD
    I've been driving on the highway a lot for my new job, plus more highway travel in general, and feel like I'm taking out entire populations of bugs during round trips. Do aftermarket bug shields on the front of the hood work well? Or just minimal help? Hoping to get one if they really help. Advice?

2. Jun 2, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I dunno.... I had one on my previous tacoma. Never knew if it helped or not. Looked cool....

I don't have one on my 07 tacoma. I get more bugs below my hood than anywhere else (on grill, on lights, on front bumper, etc).

I've heard a lot of people complaining about some brands (can't remember) because they don't like the way they mount and some of them rest on the paint & scratch it. Primarily why I haven't bought one - cuz I haven't seen one that the majority of people were happy with.

3. Jun 2, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    slr97

slr97 New Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I know this is my 1st post, but decided to respond to your question. Prior to installing the bug shield/wind deflector, I had to scrub my windshield every other day. Getting off work late in the night and driving in the back road doesn't help. After the install, very few bugs target the windshield. The big and heavy ones still hit it, but the small ones (like mosquitos) are deflected over the cabin. I purchased the Stampede brand. It does not "damage" the paint like the previous post mentioned. It performs as intended. I cannot speak for other brands. My experience lies with Stampede bud/wind deflector.

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    Sarah16

Sarah16 Sarah16

Member:
    Lander, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    After driving a few times home from college I noticed miniscule chips on my paint on my hood, and near my headlights. These chips aren't huge but they are still annoying none the less. Has anyone experienced the same problem and what do you do to prevent it?
    I'm thinking about either an "invisible bra" or one of the bug/wind deflectors.
    Thanks alot

5. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I had the dealer put one on my 06 when I bought it. It's a Toyota factory deflector. I chose this one because compared to many of the others, it seemed to match the contour of the hood the best. I think it deflects bugs directly into the windshield at my line-of-sight but does a good job of keeping stuff off the hood. I like it for the looks mostly. My avatar shows a decent picture of it... The more vertical of an angle on a deflector the better job it does of pushing bugs etc. up over the cab.:rolleyes:

6. Jun 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    What does it mount to? How long have you had it?

Got any pictures? How much did it cost?

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Same questions for you... What does it mount to?

Did you get factory color matched one? or no?

How much did that all run ya?

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    carmellocafe

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    It's mounted to the hood--brackets & sheet metal screws rather than the cheepo adhesive I've seen with others. I don't know how much it would have cost as I bargained with the dealer. I told him when I was trying to decide on what color Tacoma to buy from him (Hanlees Toyota Davis, CA) I'd buy this 2006 Prerunner from you right now if you throw in a bug deflector for free." He went for it and their service department had one on the shelf. It's "smoke" color. They installed it for free and I drove it off the lot in October of 2005. It's been on it ever since. They sent me a DUE BILL for it a week later in the amount of $0.00. It's Very durable & mounted extremely well. You can see it on my truck in my gallery here on TW. Sorry about the long distance pictures. My old camera really wasn't that good. I've got a new one now and will be adding pics. soon.

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You will still take out a fair number of bugs with the grill and window- It might be a bit better but not a TON. It does help protect from chipping on the hood.

I got an ERG LoProfile version and love how it looks. (Photos in my gallery...)

10. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    carmellocafe

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    Janster, The brackets extend the deflector out away from the hood and are screwed into the underside. Here's a few newer pics. of the deflector:

Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg

11. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Ditto but mine is an ERG. Mounts under the hood so no metal eating into and scratching the paint. Works well. Buy it again in a heartbeat.

^What he said.

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Well, I do plenty of driving here in the Northwest and splat some pretty gross bugs all over my front end. I've driven my Tacoma for years with no bug gaurd and got lots of paint chips on the front edge of the hood from rocks kicked up on dirt roads from tailing the 4x4 in front ofd me too closely.. Plus they use lava cinders on the roads out here in winter months so springtime you get pummeled with rocks even on city streets! Didn't anyone tell you the paint on the new 05+ Tacomas is crap. Mine is, look at it wrong and you've got a new paint chip.

So, now I have a new hood and many new front end panels (due to an accident) and bought a bug shield. I still seem to have a similar volume of splat on my windshield so I surmise that the bug deflector is ineffective at best.

But, it does a great job keeping paint chips from peppering my hood.. so I propose we rename it a rock deflector.

13. Jun 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!
    That's not too bad. I might call and ask them for a price on a color matched one - I'll still probably faint. Otherwise, I'd probably look at aftermarket ones.

Brunes - I looked through 4 pages of your photos and didn't see any picts of a bug deflector. What did I miss?

14. Jun 9, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    If you were closer to me I'd just give you mine. It came with my truck and I took it off within a week.

15. Jun 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    nice truck, what brand of vent visors are those?

16. Jun 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Do you speak from experience on the Toyota version?

If you look at the pictures, there's a clear film underneath the brackets. That probably helps protect the paint. Just a guess from looking at the pictures.

I actually called Toyota today for a price on one. I wanted a price quote on a color matched one, but apparently they don't make them. Only 'smoke'.
    $99 - but I get an additional break because I bought the truck there ($80).

I'm really surprised they don't offer a color matched version. Unless, that guy is just a retard and doesn't know how to look stuff up. :rolleyes:

17. Jun 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Well, that answers my question. Thanks!

18. Jun 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    carmellocafe

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:

Yes, you're right Janster. When they installed it they put some real thick clear tape under the brackets. It's actually protecting the paint very well. I can't think of any reason why I would take it the deflector off anyway so I'm not concerned about paint damage in the slightest. Wow, this new camera I got takes pretty clear pictures. I didn't notice you could see the tape before. Good eye.

19. Jun 20, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    my deflector made my hood shake, and my drivers side mirror too.

20. Jun 20, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    IndigoTaco

IndigoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab Sport 4x4

Is this the EGR Aerowrap XE? I've been looking for one to fit my '07 but can't seem to find the right one. It's either standard height or super high, not the real low profile one. Where'd ya find it??

Products Discussed in

To Top