1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

?Frame Mounted Running Boards?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Benbro, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Benbro

Benbro [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Molalla,OR.
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Longbed
    Bilsteins,Wheelers AAL, Westin BullBar,Axcess Ipod Port,265 Toyo's, Snugtop Cap,K&N Cold Air Intake,Weather Tec Protection
    Does anyone know of a good running board for a 06 double that mounts to the frame. I like the looks of the "Romik" boards that looks like a nerf bar with a diamond plate platform, but there are a complaints about them rattling because they attach to the body mounts. Anyone own these??

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    welcome to TW

I dont think any company will have the running boards mount to the frame or the body mounts (please correct me if I'm wrong). Toyota was nice enough to have factory threaded nuts in the bottom of the cab to mount them to. If I were a manufacturing company I would not be spending extra $$$ on R&D to mount them in a different location. If the Romik boards rattly it's most likely because the mounting hardware is made of shoddy material.

3. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    to add to the above. I originally had the Toyota black running boards, they were great, no "rattle", strong, kept rocks off my paint, and didn't hang down really low.

[​IMG]

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    Benbro

Benbro [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Molalla,OR.
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Longbed
    Bilsteins,Wheelers AAL, Westin BullBar,Axcess Ipod Port,265 Toyo's, Snugtop Cap,K&N Cold Air Intake,Weather Tec Protection
    Thanks for the reply "Dark Knight". My only concern with the factory mounting points are, Whats behind the sheet metal holding up large adults standing on these mounting points possibly moving at low speeds down the beach??

5. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    I have jumped up and down on those above with no problems. They seemed very stable. Slee offroad Sliders would be exactly what you want but they do not make them for Double cab Long beds

6. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you find some....let me know!!!!

I've probably said this a million times...but I've been wanting to put Double Cab running boards on my access cab. The DC SB and AC frames are the same and it'd pretty much be a bolt-on wheel to wheel running board.

But everything is off the body and I just haven't found anything I like that doesn't cost a fortune for me to 'attempt' making an additional bracketry for the rear mount after the cab on the AC. Long story - did shitloads of research and never did it due to cost (if it didn't work).

But yeah, if you want something off the frame - do some research on rock sliders.

Products Discussed in

To Top