Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Relentless Fabrication

Notices

aluminum vs regular bumper

Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
aluminum vs regular bumper

well i plan on buying one of your bumpers when i get back from Afghanistan. im just wondering what the difference in your bumpers are? i know the aluminum is obviously lighter. but how much strength are you losing with the aluminum? sorry if this is a dumb question. i really just don't know what one i should get. thx for your help
Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The steel bumper is always going to be stronger unless a lot of gussets/bracing was added to the aluminum version. The major benefit of the aluminum bumper is weight savings (approx 50lbs....1/2 the weight of the steel), and also corrosion resistance for harsh climates. Aluminum doesnt rust like steel does, so that could be a selling point as well.
The aluminum bumper is still very strong, and will handle winching and recovery with the 2 included 1" recovery points on the bumper. The time when the aluminum wouldnt be as good, is in rocky areas. It will scratch much easier than the harder steel so you could get scrapes/gouges in the metal if you bump rocks. The main weakness on the aluminum bumper would be a hard impact all the way at one of the front corners- it would bend backward easier than a steel bumper.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
trowlan1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
trowlan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
The steel bumper is always going to be stronger unless a lot of gussets/bracing was added to the aluminum version. The major benefit of the aluminum bumper is weight savings (approx 50lbs....1/2 the weight of the steel), and also corrosion resistance for harsh climates. Aluminum doesnt rust like steel does, so that could be a selling point as well.
The aluminum bumper is still very strong, and will handle winching and recovery with the 2 included 1" recovery points on the bumper. The time when the aluminum wouldnt be as good, is in rocky areas. It will scratch much easier than the harder steel so you could get scrapes/gouges in the metal if you bump rocks. The main weakness on the aluminum bumper would be a hard impact all the way at one of the front corners- it would bend backward easier than a steel bumper.
Have you seen the aluminum version after a deer strike or similar. Once I get my Taco, this will probably be my first mod. We don't have alot of rocks down here in Middle Georgia, so deer are my biggest concern. (4k in damage over last 2-3 years). Have you had any customers with the aluminum version who have any experience with this?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well, the 1st aluminum one will be shipping to BC Canada this week, so i havent seen any after hitting a deer. It will definitely protect the truck better than any of the factory junk! And adding a tube grille/headlight guard on the bumper would add even more strength and protection to the the truck.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, the 1st aluminum one will be shipping to BC Canada this week
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
trowlan1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
trowlan1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, the 1st aluminum one will be shipping to BC Canada this week, so i havent seen any after hitting a deer. It will definitely protect the truck better than any of the factory junk! And adding a tube grille/headlight guard on the bumper would add even more strength and protection to the the truck.
Sweet. BTW I love your stuff, those Rock Rails are a must to when I get the truck.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowlan1 View Post
Sweet. BTW I love your stuff, those Rock Rails are a must to when I get the truck.

Thanks
Thanks man, sounds good.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the fast response I got 10 months to think about it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
trdtrav is on a distinguished road
trdtrav's Tacoma Gallery
Can the aluminum bumper be painted or powder coated? I do alot of ice fishing here in Minnesota, so weight is a big factor! Thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtrav View Post
Can the aluminum bumper be painted or powder coated?
Yes to both
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Air Force: GREEN LIGHT!
Name: Clayton
Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
First off I want to say that this is the best looking aftermarket taco bumper I've seen. Both the front and the back

I'm leaning towards the aluminum front bumper for the lighter weight, no back bumper yet...I can't spooge that much money right now haha.

How long from order to delivery?
Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, the 1st aluminum one will be shipping to BC Canada this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What are you smiling about OZ?
Smile if you ever get it installed.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post

What are you smiling about OZ?
Smile if you ever get it installed.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Still looks stock to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Relentless Fab aluminum front bumper ( I have it , not installed yet )
That's where I am for right now , Relentless Fab aluminum bumper to go on .
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Still looks stock to me
Good 4 U
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytor View Post
First off I want to say that this is the best looking aftermarket taco bumper I've seen. Both the front and the back

I'm leaning towards the aluminum front bumper for the lighter weight, no back bumper yet...I can't spooge that much money right now haha.

How long from order to delivery?
Thanks for the compliments.
About 3 months right now.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Air Force: GREEN LIGHT!
Name: Clayton
Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments.
About 3 months right now.
w9pmpikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

sorry I think I blacked out for a second and when I read that...Well if I want the best I guess I'll have to wait then...but I wont be happy! (crosses arms )

I'm sure it will be worth it though

Order has been put in on your site
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #18

I'm responding to emails now so you should be hearing from me today.