Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Relentless Fabrication

Notices

Stock Foglights Fitted In Relentless Plate Bumper

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Foglights Fitted In Relentless Plate Bumper

Hey there TW!

As you know I got my Relentless Fabrication front bumper put on a couple weeks ago and I finally got time to try and rig up a way to put the stock foglights into the foglight housing. Now, I know that I probably could have sold the stockers on here then picked up some cheap foglights from Wal-mart and came out ahead. But since wiring isn't my strong suit, I decided that I wanted something plug-and-play using the stock ones.

Here is what my wife and I came up with. Since the back of the foglight is plastic, I didn't want to drill into it and connect it to the metal L-bracket on the back of the bumper.

Here is what we bought from the local hardware store:

(2) 4" to 3" Rubber Coupler (4" hose clamp was attached)
(1) package 11" zip ties (you need about 8, but its good to have a couple extra)
(2) 3" hose clamp (not needed, so don't buy it)
(1) foam pipe insulator (not needed, so don't buy it)

Alright, first step is to squeeze the foglight into the 4" side of the coupler. Slide it in deep enough so its about a 1/2" from the front of the coupler.

Next, slide the zip ties in between the foglight and the coupler. (Here you can see I cut the foam pipe insulator to act as a barrier between the metal bumper housing and the lens of the foglight, but I decided it wasn't necessary.)

Here's a pic of it without the foam piece (again, I didn't use the foam piece because the foglight was so tight against the bumper there is literally no movement).

Then I trimmed out a slot for the L-bracket that is welded on the back of the bumper to hold your aftermarket foglight. (you could also notch it out all the way, but having the slot helped to hold it in place while I tightened the zipties and will help secure it better in the long run.) The alignment screw on the back of the foglight is the bottom, make sure you cut the slot on this side so the foglight is straight. (I used the extra L-bracket that Eric sent line up where the slot should go and to test out the size of it.)

Next, sqeeze the foglight behind the bumper. (this would be a little easier if you did this before the bumper is installed)

Slide the L-bracket into the slot you cut and pull the rubber coupler around the metal housing on the bumper.

Take the 4" metal hose clamp and put it around the zipties and tighten it around the metal housing. (make sure the rubber isn't under the clamp)

Tighten the zip ties.

Plug in the foglight.

Here is a pic from the bottom showing the L-bracket coming through the slot in the coupler.

Another mod done!!

Hope this helps some of you out. Let me know if you have any questions or need more pics.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Great mod, I'm gonna try it in a couple months when we get the bumper!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job! I will be checking this again once I get my bumper, I really wanna keep my stock fogs for the hid aspect.

+rep sent
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I used only the clamps and clamped the fog light to the L bracket and then the L bracket screwed on to the fog light adjustment bracket. $5 mod and holds on great!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Badass! Thanks for posting this. Many will find it useful, and you made it easy for me since I can just tell people who ask to check out this thread!
+rep to ya man!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Gonna have to try this on mine. When the time comes it will be an easy swap to the relentless .
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Gonna have to try this on mine. When the time comes it will be an easy swap to the relentless .
This method probably wont work on the AP if thats what you're going to try and do this mod on. The AP uses some cutout plate steel with a few bends to fill around the fog lights (I believe its a hex shape) rather than the round tube that I use so the round coupler probably wont fit the AP's recesses.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
This method probably wont work on the AP if thats what you're going to try and do this mod on. The AP uses some cutout plate steel with a few bends to fill around the fog lights (I believe its a hex shape) rather than the round tube that I use so the round coupler probably wont fit the AP's recesses.
Ya thats what I'm talking about. It is a hex shape, but the rubber should have enough are to grip. Its worth a try though, those piaas are way too expensive for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Ya thats what I'm talking about. It is a hex shape, but the rubber should have enough are to grip. Its worth a try though, those piaas are way too expensive for me.
I'd measure how large the shroud is across before buying any parts. I think the shrouds are a bit bigger on theirs too, possibly in the 5- 5.5" neighborhood behind the 4" hole in the bumper.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #10

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd measure how large the shroud is across before buying any parts. I think the shrouds are a bit bigger on theirs too, possibly in the 5- 5.5" neighborhood behind the 4" hole in the bumper.
Ya I would be measuring first. But it will be summer (2 months away for me) before I do this. So I have lots of time to think about it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #12
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The fogs don't melt the rubber of the Fernco fitting ?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You think it would get that hot? Thinking about it... isnt the whole plate bumper essentially a heat sink when the lights are mounted that way? Plus theres the wind of driving cooling everything too....
Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You think it would get that hot? Thinking about it... isnt the whole plate bumper essentially a heat sink when the lights are mounted that way? Plus theres the wind of driving cooling everything too....
The bulb is in direct contact with the coupling which is why I asked , seems like a good way to mount them up , I wonder if I'll be able to stretch a 4" fitting over the slightly bigger tube on the aluminum bumper .
Old 04-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #15

true. Im not sure if you will... I think that tube is like 5" OD on the aluminum bumper
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
true. Im not sure if you will... I think that tube is like 5" OD on the aluminum bumper
I wonder if I can get a 5" to 3" Fernco , looks like a call to my plumber is in order .
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #17
IluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shedIluvTEA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Demolition
IluvTEA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

OZ-T,

I was driving around for a few hours and had the foglights on for a solid 2.5 hours. Right afterwards I checked if the fitting and it wasn't even warm. I felt the lens and it was slightly warm. I also stuck my finger on the back of the foglight housing it wasn't warm at all. I don't think the heat will be a problem. Perhaps if you have HIDs, do they get hotter because they are so much brighter?

Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #18
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
doing this today.

anyone want PIAA 510 xtreme white's

never used but the decal that comes in the box is missing
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
works great thanks