1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relentless bumper help

Discussion in 'Relentless Fabrication' started by boatbuilder, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mar 28, 2015 at 11:29 AM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    I had to use about 8 washers under the bumper support like you did. All our trucks are a little different and things don't line up, so individual adjustments need to be made. You just have to keep messing with things until its the way you like it. It's not just Relentless. All custom bumpers require this kind of fine tuning.

As far as Eric not getting back to you. I will be the first to say that it can be hit or miss. He is a super busy guy and that leads to delayed response times on occasion. However, every time I have talked to Eric he has been super patient and helpful.

2. Mar 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    Thanks Glueman. It seems as if everyone has to add washers there's some room to shorten the drop piece 1/4-3/8" so it looks right. Or, weld a piece on the side so you don't see it.

And I've run my own businesses for 40 years. I'm a busy one man shop and I answer the phone when it rings. And if I can't I return all calls and emails every day. It becomes a very slippery slope when you start getting behind in returning calls and emails. I can't just take the bumper off and wait for a return call or email. It's been about a week and a half right now.

3. Mar 28, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    boatbuilder

boatbuilder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tonasket, WA
    Vehicle:
    12 regular cab 4 cyl 4wd
    A lot!
    Funny thing, I just heard from Eric. Hmmm. Here's what hw said and maybe this will help someone in the future. "Jim
    I have no doubts that the bumper is built correct, we measure them several times in several ways throughout the build to ensure proper measurements on the final piece. It’s likely the truck itself; Each one varies. I’ve witnessed bodies shifted as much as a 1/2” on the mounts compared to others. These outliers are the trucks that seem to take more effort to get things to fit properly on, we do as much as we can to make the bumpers adjustable to get the proper fit but in some extremes it’s nearly impossible to get it ‘perfect’ as slotted holes and washers to shim can only go so far. The additional thickness of a LineX coat on yours could have some to do with it as well as it tightens some of the gaps and spaces we intend for the bumper to have. I would imagine it is a combination of the truck’s body alignment on the frame, and the LineX coat leading to the more than usual washer stacks to get clearance. If there is a particular spot where one point/bolt/screw is hitting it simply may require a little work with a die grinder to notch additional clearance to eliminate a persistent rub spot."

Now, with that said I am not grinding anything as the urea coating that is on the bumper was put on and baked and has already chipped in one spot due to excessive rubbing I'm not quite sure how I'm going to repair but I will just keep shimming it out until the rubbing and squeaking goes away an try to hide/paint/coat all the washers with something. The problem is that with the winch this thing is damn heavy to lift on and off by yourself. Thanks to all of you and to Eric for the help.

4. Mar 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Mines messed up too. I actually had to grind out the bumper to get it to sit lower. I am very close to making shims so the bumper sits properly. Had to use so many washers, that my frame tabs are bent, and I haven't even pulled anyone out or winched. That's just the front one.

I didn't get an email back from Eric, and figured he already has my money so I left it alone.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. Apr 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM
    Sparky2012

Sparky2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Leer 100 RCC canopy, Relentless aluminum front bumper, car seats of my twin minions.
    Boatbuilder.
    Sorry I haven't posted my relentless install and review yet, it might have helped you. I have a 2012 that I installed an aluminum bumper from Eric. The wait was about a year and the lack of communication was frustrating to say the least. I had to make 2 attempts to install my bumper to get it to fit. The round cut outs for the fog light hit the cross support brace under the headlights. I didn't notice it at first and it really played havoc with the alignment. After I notched the fog light shroud so it wouldn't hit the cross brace it only took 3 washer on the driver side and 2 washers on the passenger side to get my alignment. I also moved my finder flare up just a little bit on the driver. I see if I can get some photos uploaded for you.

6. Apr 11, 2015 at 5:14 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Hmm I think I would benefit from some pics if you got some. I can't get mine to line up either. Getting pretty frustrated with it.

7. Apr 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM
    bob4x4

bob4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OR dcsb
    Just a thought,using washers as shims you will be loosing strenth and risking frame damage.Using some flat bar of the appropriate thickness would be much safer,the taco frames are not what I would consider strong.

8. Apr 11, 2015 at 5:55 AM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    This

To Top