Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Relentless Fabrication (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/relentless-fabrication/)
-   -   Eric roof rack???? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/relentless-fabrication/227315-eric-roof-rack.html)

NEWBIETACO 07-01-2012 11:03 PM

Eric roof rack????

Do you have a roof rack in the works, have yet to see a decent one on a tacoma, just wondering? Am i the only one interested in one or is anyone else

RelentlessTaco 07-01-2012 11:08 PM

Ive considered it, just havent had time to pursue building one. I'll probably start with one for my 4runner, see how it turns out and learn what works and doesnt, then try and get a DC tacoma in my shop to try and make one.

DWreck 07-02-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco (Post 5322533)
Ive considered it, just havent had time to pursue building one. I'll probably start with one for my 4runner, see how it turns out and learn what works and doesnt, then try and get a DC tacoma in my shop to try and make one.

Eric, I hope you don't mind me chiming in but, I've made a couple. If you want, shoot me a text. I can help you out.

Here's what I've ran into with roof racks though;
-They're up in the wind
-They're noisy
-They hinder fuel mileage

It's because of that most stay away from roof racks. That's also the reason I went with the bed rack/cage I've got now.

RelentlessTaco 07-02-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWreck (Post 5323228)
Eric, I hope you don't mind me chiming in but, I've made a couple. If you want, shoot me a text. I can help you out.

Here's what I've ran into with roof racks though;
-They're up in the wind
-They're noisy
-They hinder fuel mileage

It's because of that most stay away from roof racks. That's also the reason I went with the bed rack/cage I've got now.

don't mind you chiming in at all Derek.
I figured they would lead to some wind noise, and low profile would be a must to keep them from causing too much drag. How much of a mpg drop did you see?
I'll be doing a type of bed rack for my Tacoma soon, think it will look better for my truck and more functional. I'll do s some sort of skin on the top to support cargo, as well as help give my dogs shade from the hot Nevada sun.

DWreck 07-02-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco (Post 5323567)
don't mind you chiming in at all Derek.
I figured they would lead to some wind noise, and low profile would be a must to keep them from causing too much drag. How much of a mpg drop did you see?
I'll be doing a type of bed rack for my Tacoma soon, think it will look better for my truck and more functional. I'll do s some sort of skin on the top to support cargo, as well as help give my dogs shade from the hot Nevada sun.

That's the purpose of the spare tire on mine! :D

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...7_19_55_42.jpg

Mine dropped roughly 1.5 mpg. Driving around town it wasn't too noticeable, but on the open road it was rather hard to maintain 70mph with the amound of drag.

RelentlessTaco 07-02-2012 11:12 AM

your dog fits under there? lol. Mine sure wouldn't! 90lb german shepherd and a 6mo old 70lb shepherd/husky mix. I have to do something a little taller for them, mine will be more expo style than prerunner. Looks like a unique rack though, never seen one like it.

4Wheelin4Banger 07-02-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco (Post 5324184)
90lb german shepherd and a 6mo old 70lb shepherd/husky mix.

Carson has a buddy now?

DWreck 07-02-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco (Post 5324184)
your dog fits under there? lol. Mine sure wouldn't! 90lb german shepherd and a 6mo old 70lb shepherd/husky mix. I have to do something a little taller for them, mine will be more expo style than prerunner. Looks like a unique rack though, never seen one like it.

I have a shepherd that would rather lay down than stand when in the truck. But, that tire carrier actually will pivot off the front and raise roughly 8". We are actually re-homing him tomorrow. Our house isn't large enough, nor is the yard. We will be keeping our Pit and Lab/Collie though.

PantherTaco 12-08-2012 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ill bring this back from the dead :anon: been working on a design of my own that i hope to start late spring-summer of next year. underneath the tire (sized as 255/85/16) is a "y" shape, you can see part of it.

Attachment 183829

NEWBIETACO 12-10-2012 09:07 PM

Cant wait to see it id love to have one like that I just want one for up top the cab only, but I guess a trailer wouldnt be bad for hauling dirtbikes around on. I like the tie down point for the tire but what is the 2x8 inch block for the front for????