1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012+ TCAI

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XRUNNAH808, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Apr 5, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    XRUNNAH808

XRUNNAH808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonjy
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Stocked X-Runner
    No mods, but LEDS all over.
  2. Apr 5, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    XRUNNAH808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonjy
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Stocked X-Runner
    So the URD provides I guess more power than the AFE?

3. Apr 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    like rain hitting the maf sensor and bucking/stumbling? Get URD

Like running a mesh grille with a manual truck and URD? buy a splash shield or it will stall on the freeway.

Like choking off the intake with a hydrophobic sock when it rains? get URD

Like a poor MAF seat (air leak/water leak potential)? get URD

want simple install, stock dependability, no leaks, no problems? GET AFE

4. Apr 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Ive bought these just for trial:

K&N
    URD
    AFE stage 2 SI
    ANOTHER URD
    TRD drop in filter

I went back to the AFE for ease of use, no problems in rain, no fitment issues, and believe it or not, ALL of these intake got the same temp of air at approx 40MPH which is AMBIENT.

5. Apr 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM
    hrspwr236

hrspwr236 X-Runner Addict

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Barcelona Red X-Runner
    Python Alarm, Scangauge II, Valentine V1 w/ Blendmount, Black Front Badge, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air Scoop, TRD CBE, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb, 19" TSW Montage, 245/45/19 Hankook V12, FLM, BHLM, 6k Heads & 3k Fogs, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Tacoma Bed Mat, Headrest Delete
    URD is the only True CAI so it will see the most gains but you do have to worry about rain but their is a shield. For 350 I picked up the Volant with ram air and I only see 2 degrees above ambient temp. I will add the Coupe cover is the icing on the cake!

IMG_0869_zps98190f77_ebfbf4b41e71a3c4af581b7b81d15dd7917dfb1a.jpg

Out of those two option I would pick up the AFE with pro dry!

6. Apr 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    ... i see 2* above ambient with the stock intake....

FYI OP... there are literally zero gains with any aftermarket "cold air intake" as the stock one is already a cold air intake.

The only time you really start to see gains is when you are running forced induction (supercharger) and have mods on the super to back it up (smaller pully, and upgraded fuel pump etc)

Save your money and spend it elsewhere... unless you want it for the intake noise, in which case you could do a 90* bend off the stock air box and do an intake that runs do the vent area of the firewall, so you get intake sound.

7. Apr 5, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    hrspwr236

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Python Alarm, Scangauge II, Valentine V1 w/ Blendmount, Black Front Badge, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air Scoop, TRD CBE, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb, 19" TSW Montage, 245/45/19 Hankook V12, FLM, BHLM, 6k Heads & 3k Fogs, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Tacoma Bed Mat, Headrest Delete
    Don't forget the engine bay eye candt, reason NUMBER ONE getting an intake, I still think the 100 bucks I saved from doing a high end intake fit me best. And just to add you can pick up up a few extra ponies with a aftermarket air intake but I will say that your butt won't feel the added 5-8, although if you through in a MAF Calibrator, you can pick up 15 and URD has dyno ed that alone with stock intake!

8. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    URD intake is strictly for idle temp muscle flexing compared to any other aftermarket intake............blower or not, its NOT that impressive

9. Apr 6, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    OP, I've had both the aFe and the URD. My opinions, aFe, nice clean install, filter is boxed from heat and elements, has a good sound from 3500+, but mine had a strange sound, like a "burble" right at around 1500-2000 rpm, right where you spend time driving, annoying enough to me to change it out.

URD, I would not buy with a mesh grill without a shield, sock is an option, but that is a choker. I have never had one rain stumble or MAF cutout or any issues with MAF sealing. Install does require cutting some sheet metal though, not a big deal, but depends on you. Sound is perfect for me, very little noise until you punch it and get above 3500rpm, low rpms it's hardly noticable. I've had my URD for about 3 years now and am happy with it.

Do note that if you do watter crossings, you should go the aFe route.

Performance-wise, aFe and URD seemed to be the same. MPG-wise, I never had a difference between stock, URD and aFe

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:29 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Like this one?

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW back to OP question. I've would've gotten the URD but the thought of cutting metal off my truck isn't worth it IMO, then see other guys like Justus having issues with the MAF sensor I ended up with the AFE with a Volant ram air :thumbsup:

11. Apr 6, 2015 at 9:05 PM
    XRUNNAH808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonjy
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Stocked X-Runner
    If I was to grab a Volant, do you think Coupe still sells the TRD Cover?

12. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    He's got a few left then he's going to stop making them.

13. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    XRUNNAH808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonjy
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Stocked X-Runner
    Do u think the it could fit the 2012+ make?

14. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    You might have to ask him on that though. I couldn't give you a correct answer.

15. Apr 7, 2015 at 7:34 AM
    hrspwr236

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I got mine from Coupe and it is for the 2012 volant, not sure if he has the clear version but i would imagine he can make another one, I believe he still has the covers on the sale this week and I am pretty sure that he still has the same cover that's in my picture.

16. Apr 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM
    nine3

nine3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD OR Supercharged MT
    I have the aFe prodry with my supercharger and never had an issue. I'm not sure it adds that much power but it sounds way better than the stock one (I could barely hear the supercharger with the stock one at all).

17. Apr 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    jdavis92

jdavis92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab, 2.7L, 5spd
    Stock
    FWIW,

I have had my URD for almost 2 years now. I have the injen filter sock on it as well.

It's been through two waterfowl hunting seasons. Two of THE WORST rainy seasons in AZ history. It's been on while towing 1700 miles from Flagstaff to NorCal. Finally, it's been on while driving everyday in sunshine and snow, on dirt roads, gravel roads, muddy roads, you name it.

It's been good for me. The thing to remember is that the MAF sensor on the URD is located outside the engine bay. It's the MAF sensor that takes the air temps. It's the air temps (partly) that the computer uses to determine the AFR. I've had not leaks, no CELs, no issues at all after I got it installed.

Now, it's not been perfect. I was not thrilled about cutting into my truck for placement and the "template" URD sends to show you where to cut is 100% bullshit. You are just about as likely to eyeball where you need to cut and get the same results.

Second. The fit of the MAF sensor in the URD is not perfect either. The o-ring on the MAF was a little larger than the URD opening in my case. It required a little bit of sanding to get the hole right. Gadget (@ URD) even suggested I do that to get it to fit. In my opinion it should fit perfect without having to "work at it".

Third. I know my way around a wrench and a screwdriver enough to know that I shouldn't over torque the placement screws that hold in the MAF sensor. Well I stripped out the threads in the URD when installing the MAF and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Results? I only have my butt dyno and a lot of "before" miles without the URD and a lot of "after" miles with it.

I didn't notice much on the butt dyno, but I do feel like I saw a tiny shift in the torque curve to the lower end. During daily driving. If the sock is a choker (anymore than the filter already is) then I want someone to prove it. I've had no issues. At WOT this thing is sick. Good tone and I get up to speed fast....especially when I am driving at sea level. However, I will NOT take this thing anywhere near a large puddle or stream crossing. Just not worth it.

I love aFe though. I recently installed their catback and it's great. If I had to do over again, I might have gone for the aFe simply for ease of installation and less concern about water getting in.

Jeff in Flagstaff

Products Discussed in

To Top